Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear brakes only?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear brakes only?

I wanted to know a way to determine how much braking power is actually going to each corner. I just came back from my first road-racing weekend. I was on the track for abou 1.5 hours total, a little over 100 miles. MY BACK BRAKE PADS WERE COMPLETELY GONE!!! AND THEY ONLY HAD ABOUT 2000 MILES ON THEM. I changed back to my stock pads, and the car may be stopping only on the back brakes.

How do I check?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For starters, I would do a simple temperature comparison of the rims and then calipers. The fronts should always be hotter in comparison to the rears.

Do you think the front pads got contaminated with oil or something?

You might also try some stops in the dirt or on rocks and see if the rears are wanting to lock first.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/long54.htm
Old 06-19-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about LS1 F-bodies is that the brake proportioning is electronic. Unlike systems with mechanical proportioning valves, the computer will send full line pressure to the rear until it sees a traction loss. This way it ensures the rear brakes are not underutilized, but it causes faster rear brake pad wear. If you don't find any other problems then this might be your cause.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many of the guys running open track events have found this to be true. Even on a street/autocross car, I can and do wear out rear pads first. If it was stopping on the rear pads only, you'd know because it would want to swap ends everytime you stepped on the brakes hard. It just seems to be the nature of the beast. Carry spares.....