Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

stearing wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stearing wheel vibration

Hello,

My stearing wheel vibrates on my 95 Z28 whenever I reach 65 MPH, and it gets worst when I increase speed. I just had a front allignment done and got four new tires and had them balanced. Ive heard people talk about the driveshaft being the cause of this could this be the problem? The car only has 29,000 miles, the wheel bearings are fine and the shocks are fine. If any one can give me some ideas on how I could fix this It would help alot.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-02-2005, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much air pressure are you running in the front? Should be about 32 cold for street driving.

Since you've already got new balanced tires and an alignment the only other thing I can think of is the upper and lower A-arm rubber bushings are probably getting less flexible with their age and could be transmitting more vibration than before. Your car is 10 years old after all, but man that's some low miles. I bet it's a cherry ride for sure.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll bet that your wheels are off/bent or the tires are defective. Driveline vibes TEND to go away and come back as speed increases. Also driveline vibes tend to start around 50. I'll bet your problem is with the wheels/tires. Have them roadforced. None should be over 20 lbs.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car did exactly what yours did. When my mechanic rebuilt my tranny he rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees. 99% of the vibration is gone. When I say 99% its really unnoticable. Also common are warped rotors. Believe it or not, my torque convertor was unbalanced alittle as well.