Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will take longer to get the wheel off thatn it does to change pads.

A lynch pin holds a keeper pin in place. Pull the lynch pin and slide the keeper out and the pads come right out the top. Pistons can be driven back into the caliper with your fingers!

It's an awesome design ...
Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Brembo Gran Turismo kit on my WS6... and it was incrediable you run out of tire before breaks, going back to stock sucked but I needed the money...they needed a .250 spacer to clear the WS6 wheels.When it comes time to change pads and rotors be ready to spend 650+.. you cant turn'em
Old 07-12-2005, 03:22 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
I guess someone forgot to tell you that your gona need 18's to run 6 pistons. To me the price v.s performance with a 4 to 6 piston caliper dosent justify itself. If steve has any kits still laying around when I get ready to upgrade then he will get my money, if not then its gona be stoptech, thoes are the two best bang for buck and proven F-body brakes, and they fit under stock WS6 wheels too.

Then how do NASCAR teams fit in BIG brakes for Martinsville, Richmond, Birstol, Sear's Point and The Glen with 15" wheels? I agree with you're price vs. performance, but I'm not sure how you can make that argument when it really comes to the wheel depth and rotor diamater more than the actual caliper setup.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:30 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It will take longer to get the wheel off thatn it does to change pads.

A lynch pin holds a keeper pin in place. Pull the lynch pin and slide the keeper out and the pads come right out the top. Pistons can be driven back into the caliper with your fingers!

It's an awesome design ...

mitchntx, are you speaking of the new baer monoblocks, or is this a feature common to most of the "big" aftermarket setups? No one has mentioned wilwood's SL6 and info about them (as that's a conversion kit setup basically correct?) but wilwood does make other systems than just that. Now, I don't know what it entails to install it or how much it costs, but that's another thought.

By the thread topic, I'm assuming you see a lot of auto-x or road course? If this is street/strip/auto-x/RR performance, I think 60-0 per dollar argument wins out with the Brembo/Porsche setup as you don't have to spend a small fortune when you wear out rotors/pads. There's also the Corvette converstion.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have no personal experience with BAER. several years ago, if someone wanted SERIOUS brakes from BAER, you had to move up to their Alcon line. Things could be differnet now.

My comment was targeted at the Brembo brakes with a Porsche decal on them.

And you might say I've had a little road course experience That's not a claim to be Micheal Schumacher. But I have left lot's of dollars in my wake ...

A few vids ...
http://www.vilipend.com/~frrax/album17
all the vids of me in my car are using the brakes described above ...

A few pics ...
http://www.vilipend.com/~frrax/album28
of the car on the track and at a trade show. I had the honor of showing the car at the annual, National Goodyear Dealer's Association. Got a free set of F1 Supercar tires out of it ...

http://www.vilipend.com/~frrax/album28/IMG_0206?full=1
A pic with the brakes on the car with 17" WS rims. I used a 1/4" spacer to work with those wheels. My ZR1 replicas required no wheel spacer ...

My newest ride competing in the CMC series ...
http://www.vilipend.com/~frrax/album48
Old 07-12-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Then how do NASCAR teams fit in BIG brakes for Martinsville, Richmond, Birstol, Sear's Point and The Glen with 15" wheels? I agree with you're price vs. performance, but I'm not sure how you can make that argument when it really comes to the wheel depth and rotor diamater more than the actual caliper setup.
Wheel and brake rotor offset. Ever notice how the brakes aren't tucked way up inside the wheel?

Also, it's a different echelon of brake system altogether. The REBUILD per caliper is what Steve's whole system costs!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I had the Brembo Gran Turismo kit on my WS6... and it was incrediable you run out of tire before breaks, going back to stock sucked but I needed the money...they needed a .250 spacer to clear the WS6 wheels.When it comes time to change pads and rotors be ready to spend 650+.. you cant turn'em

Was this the 1000 dollar kit.....

Sorry, I get all the diff lines confused!

How long does it take to install these porsche brakes!???
Ive installed brakes b4 and swaped callipers.......

Is there a lot of cutom fitting besides the grinding and wahser spacing?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Hi TA,

There's very little fabricating work involved with the LS1 cars. They are a snap. A little grinding to clear the fitting and you're set. When I installed mine all it took was a grinder at the end of an electric drill. The outline in Trackbird's website is about as accurate as it gets. Nothing approaching the concept of custom fitting.

Regards
Steve

Originally Posted by TAwananbe

Old 07-12-2005, 07:36 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Wheel and brake rotor offset. Ever notice how the brakes aren't tucked way up inside the wheel?

Also, it's a different echelon of brake system altogether. The REBUILD per caliper is what Steve's whole system costs!!!!

Outch...dang, *retracts statement*
Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

14" six piston AP (5555 series)

The available kit's runs about 3k for the front in street trim and 3.2k for the racecar stuff. Same for the rear, except for the rear are a four pot.

Kinda look like this:

You can get more information at Doug Rippie Motorsports and/or including technical information at Brake Pro's although you have to assemble a kit for the F-body bracket wise.

Last edited by chicane; 04-25-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I certainly can be done. It'll look great too. But the ultimate Q is whether its required. With a 14 inch rotor you're adding weight. Larger and heavier rotors and calipers and pads. Don't the front ends of these pigs weigh enough???

Don't get me wrong. Your picture tells it all. That is a sweet setup. But, have you or anyone with a 4 pot brembo or alcon experienced brake fade? The Q presupposes you've bled the system w/SRF or GS610, added necessary brake ducting, have the prop valve set correctly, know how to brake and are using two piece floating rotors. If you have experienced fade with the above setup, then its time to take on the down side of the the 6 pot / 14 inch system. The down side is added weight just where you don't need it.

Bottom line, every racer would love to have a 12 inch two piece rotor and single pot caliper work flawlessly for them in a race. It'd look totally unimpressive, but the reduced weight of the system would give them a definite edge.

Regards
Steve
Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TAwananbe
Was this the 1000 dollar kit.....

Sorry, I get all the diff lines confused!

No the kit will set you back a little over 3k.It takes better part of a day to do swap stuff like cutting the spindles fitting and bleeding the system... I like the Brembo's because I work with them on a daily basis..rebuilding calipers new systems stuff like that(some of our race parts I used on my street set up) As Far as fitting the NASCAR stuff in 15X11 inch wheel it gets tight sometimes you need to clearence the caliper a little depending on how much wheel spacer you have on. The radial mount calipers sit nice and tight over the rotors less than an eighth of an inch between caliper and rotor
Old 07-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Only thing im not sure about is Cutting the spindle part?

Do I have to take the spidle off?

Can I cut it w anything or do I need a specialty tool?

BTW, this may be a good link for your brake kit for questions for newbs like myself.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

A $5 metal burr from Home Depot in your 3/8 drill motor will grind away the material for the necessary clearance.

It can be done on the car, no problem.

I used as 3" right angle grinder ... $10 from Harbor Freight.

I know it sounds too good to be true and I had a hard time writing that check. It's a lot of cash. But once installed, you will absolutely amazed ....

And for what it's worth, I didn't buy my kit from Steve ... I bought mine used from another user who ran a turbo car at Sebring in Florida, a track known for eating brakes.

I'm just sold on this kit ...
Old 07-13-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steve-d
The down side is added weight just where you don't need it.
Steve

I see your point Steve. But, one does have the option of a 13" two piece rotor...... and the real kicker is that this six piston weights in 1 lb lighter than the Brembo F-50 four piston caliper. So weight isnt too much of a factor...... yet. Plus you get 14.7 cm^2 more pad surface area with the AP. Also the 14" AP still fits in some 17" wheel packages.......

In another comparison, the AP 5200 vs. the Brembo Lotus caliper (both are four piston design)... the AP is 2 lbs lighter with same rotor size and a small increase in pad surface area of 3.2 cm^2.

With the advent of FEA, a requirement for a mono-block caliper just went to the south. The calipers of new, are stronger and stiffer than most of the latest mono-blocks.... for half their respective price.

FWIW, Baer went into manufacturing their own mono-block calipers due to the fact that Alcon has problems with supplying the demand..... and Baer just got fed up with it and went on their own.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

what is FEA?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

do you have a picture of the red anodized hats?

Id like to see if it matches my cars red decals.....
Old 07-13-2005, 04:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

seems to me like your doing this more so for looks than performance
Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chicane
FWIW, Baer went into manufacturing their own mono-block calipers due to the fact that Alcon has problems with supplying the demand..... and Baer just got fed up with it and went on their own.
that is good info ... I did not know that
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Nice to know a American company is making these. I wonder where they are manufactured?

Steve

Originally Posted by chicane
....FWIW, Baer went into manufacturing their own mono-block calipers due to the fact that Alcon has problems with supplying the demand..... and Baer just got fed up with it and went on their own.

Quick Reply: who has aftermarket brakes? BAER/Brembo/willwood?