Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP! Just installed Trak Pak and relocation brackets, now BAD vibration from rear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! Just installed Trak Pak and relocation brackets, now BAD vibration from rear!

I just got a BMR Trak Pak and relocation brackets installed today. Now over 80 mph there is a bad vibration you can feel in the seat of your pants. It wasn't there before and I rechecked the pinion angle and its set at -2 degrees. Is that where it should be? I also noticed the rear is now a little out of square. Guess I will have to get some adjustable LCAs to fix that. Could that cause any vibrations? It dead hooks now but the high speed vibrations kinda got me worried!
Old 07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the pinion angle is set correct, you may need an adj panhard to line up the rear end. It plays just as much of a role as the adj TA.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSblack98
I just got a BMR Trak Pak and relocation brackets installed today. Now over 80 mph there is a bad vibration you can feel in the seat of your pants. It wasn't there before and I rechecked the pinion angle and its set at -2 degrees. Is that where it should be? I also noticed the rear is now a little out of square. Guess I will have to get some adjustable LCAs to fix that. Could that cause any vibrations? It dead hooks now but the high speed vibrations kinda got me worried!

I don't think you would need anything else to get everythign to line up and work correctly. Just needs to be installed correctly. Looking at how it's set up on the BMR site I can see how if that crossmember isn't installed straight it could throw the rear out of whack. Yours may be installed incorrectly. It also sais this on BMR's site.

NOTE: Will not work with "diamond style" subframe connectors. Use of this product will produce additional road noise and is recommended for the serious enthusiast only. For questions please call or e-mail.

Maybe that's what's happening.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I don't think you would need anything else to get everythign to line up and work correctly. Just needs to be installed correctly. Looking at how it's set up on the BMR site I can see how if that crossmember isn't installed straight it could throw the rear out of whack. Yours may be installed incorrectly. It also sais this on BMR's site.

NOTE: Will not work with "diamond style" subframe connectors. Use of this product will produce additional road noise and is recommended for the serious enthusiast only. For questions please call or e-mail.

Maybe that's what's happening.

vibrations from the rear are caused by U joints binding (in this case). That can occur from a misaligned rear end. road noise, squeeks, etc are more of what BMR is intending.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
vibrations from the rear are caused by U joints binding (in this case). That can occur from a misaligned rear end. road noise, squeeks, etc are more of what BMR is intending.
That's amazing how you can diagnose exactly what's wrong with his car without having driven it, seen it, and nothing more than him saying it's vibrating in the rear and he can feel it in the seat of his pants at 80+mph.

This truly is a breakthrough in the world of automotive diagnostics and troubleshooting.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
Apparently part of my problem was my stupidity and that of the installer. I wasn't checking the pinion angle correctly and he wasn't either. A friend came over and showed me the right way to check the angle and it seems it was more like -4 to -5 degrees! Plus this stupid angle checker BMR gives you is really inconsistent. We got it adjusted up to what looks like -2 and it looks much better and the vibration is almost gone. I also don't think the torque arm was installed incorrectly as I checked the squareness of the crossmember with a tape measure. I think the relocation brackets didn't get installed exactly the same relevant to each other and that threw out the squareness of the rear and so the adj LCAs should put the rear back in square.

Also, for the record, I read ahead of time about the Trak Pak causing more "road noise" etc. I only had vibrations no rattling or squeaking. My friend has it on his car and it makes little noise and mine is totally quiet even on gravel/bumpy roads!!! Props to BMR for an affordable and quality piece that eliminated all my wheel hop and hooks great on the street! Also, thanks for all the input from everyone!

Lastly, does anyone know where to buy a good pinion angle guage, maybe even a digital one if not too expensive? My friend and I are thinking of getting a decent one that is more consistant and accurate.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

glad you worked everything out, is your car lowered any? Any clearance problems with the crossmember on the trak pak?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
glad you worked everything out, is your car lowered any? Any clearance problems with the crossmember on the trak pak?
No my car isn't lowered. But the torque arm cross member is definitely the lowest point on the car now by far. It will scrape on some speed bumps and such but with the way this thing hooks up the rear I could care less. I also choose it because of the way it welds between the SFCs because it stiffens up the chassis even more!
Old 07-17-2005, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know where to buy a good pinion angle guage, maybe even a digital one if not too expensive? The one that comes with the BMR Trak Pak is a POS.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
That's amazing how you can diagnose exactly what's wrong with his car without having driven it, seen it, and nothing more than him saying it's vibrating in the rear and he can feel it in the seat of his pants at 80+mph.

This truly is a breakthrough in the world of automotive diagnostics and troubleshooting.
Holy ****, man. The guy described what is a classic case of a bad pinion angle and you jumped all over SSactionLs1 for answering his question. As it turns out, SSactionLs1's response was much more helpful than anything you had to offer.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Holy ****, man. The guy described what is a classic case of a bad pinion angle and you jumped all over SSactionLs1 for answering his question. As it turns out, SSactionLs1's response was much more helpful than anything you had to offer.
Holy ****, man. The guy described how he set the pinion angle at -2 with the gauge so I was ruling that out, not the fact that the gauge was innacurate or that he wasn't reading it correctly. As it turns out, your just making yourself out to be an assclown and that your reading comprehension sucks.

My original SUGGESTION, (meaning not stating exactly) was that maybe it was installed incorrectly and some extra noise was to be expected.

Turns out that is what the problem was.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
LOL, thanks.. the only reason i knew what to look for is i have the same problem and my adj ta gets here tues LOL.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

joblo1978, your attitude and name calling is a real asset to this site. Please continue to act like a 10 year old.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Magnetic angle finders can be found at Home Depot,
I bought one from BMR for about the same price. I
believe there are digital ones too, though digital does
not -necessarily- mean "more accurate".

There's pinion angle, and there's driveline angle. You
want the front and rear U-joints to have roughly the
same local shaft-shaft angle. The rear pinion angle is
what people work on to get bite, but if you are making
extreme changes out back it's possible that you may
have to adjust the trans tail angle as well (shimming
the tail mount up?) to keep the joints from bind.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Magnetic angle finders can be found at Home Depot,
I bought one from BMR for about the same price. I
believe there are digital ones too, though digital does
not -necessarily- mean "more accurate".

There's pinion angle, and there's driveline angle. You
want the front and rear U-joints to have roughly the
same local shaft-shaft angle. The rear pinion angle is
what people work on to get bite, but if you are making
extreme changes out back it's possible that you may
have to adjust the trans tail angle as well (shimming
the tail mount up?) to keep the joints from bind.

Thanks for the info. I have the pinion angle guage that came with the BMR arm but it seems like you can measure an angle then measure a different one and go back and measure the first angle and get a different reading then you had before. That make sense??? Anyway, I was just thinking that someone had to make a better quality guage that was more consistant. Maybe I will try Home Depot or Sears. Thanks to all for the help and to others for the entertainment...

Quick Reply: HELP! Just installed Trak Pak and relocation brackets, now BAD vibration from rear!