Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!!

Well after taking a closer look at my brake rotors the other day i noticed they werent wearing evenly, so I checked the pads and WOW were they almost gone!! I got some semi-used ones (95% life left) off ls1tech.com, and spent the last hour or so changing them!! BUT now that i go back to putting on the caliper.....it wont fit over the new pads!!! Help somebody, is there a way to adjust the caliper?? Thanks

-gabe
Old 07-20-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to push the pistons back into the caliper. There are a variety of ways to do this, but if you have room left in the master cylinder for the fluid, just put a piece of wood over the two pistons in the caliper (to distribute the load) and then use a C-clamp to push them back inside the housing.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

you need to make sure you have the pistons compressed all the way back into the calipers. You will need 2 c-clamps to do this.
-Remove cap from brake master cylinder under the hood
-use c-clamp and compress any one of the two pistons, pushing it as far back into the caliper as it will go
-while leaving the first c-clamp in place, use the next c-clamp and compress the second piston
-remove both clamps
-put cap back on master cylinder
-reassmble brake system.
Hope that helps.
You need to do this because as the pads wear, the pistons are gradually pushed out of the cylinder by hydrualic pressure to take up the slack of the wearing brake pad. when putting in new pads that are thicker than the old used ones, they wont fit cause the pistons are out, so you got to push them back in
By the way, I would never use used pads, even if they are 95%. It doesnt sound like that is your problem, but just my two cents.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here is an Install Doc:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm

Here are some more notes:
** Inspect the Calipers
---- Check the rubber boots on the sliding pins and the caliper pistons, none should be ripped.
---- Make sure the sliding pins slide freely. Grease them up with a high-temp synthetic grease. The small bolt that attaches the caliper to the bracket bolts into the sliding pins.
---- Inspect the Caliper pistons for wear (scratches/gouges/rust)
** Make sure all bolts are properly torqued (caliper bolts, caliper bracket bolts, wheel lug nuts)
Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
Here is an Install Doc:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm

Here are some more notes:
** Inspect the Calipers
---- Check the rubber boots on the sliding pins and the caliper pistons, none should be ripped.
---- Make sure the sliding pins slide freely. Grease them up with a high-temp synthetic grease. The small bolt that attaches the caliper to the bracket bolts into the sliding pins.
---- Inspect the Caliper pistons for wear (scratches/gouges/rust)
** Make sure all bolts are properly torqued (caliper bolts, caliper bracket bolts, wheel lug nuts)
Thanks! I was just WAAAAAY too lazy to write all that.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys!!! Sorry for the newb question, just never changed my brake pads before....guess you gotta learn someday!!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

No worries man! That's what we're here for! I'm always happy to help out a new guy who's just getting into this stuff and learning. I just get tired of arguing with people on "the best parts ever" just because it's what they use on their car... instead of considering the application of the vehicle. Let us know if ya need some more help with it.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
Thanks! I was just WAAAAAY too lazy to write all that.
I just copied-and-pasted from a longer post i made a few days ago.

Here is that thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/350681-calling-all-brake-experts.html