Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ok to drive without sway bar??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to drive without sway bar??

I just picked up my car after a moser was installed. I am getting a new driveshaft put in as well, and until thats done next week, I didnt bother to have the sway bar put back in (Im gonna have it done all at once in a few days). Is it ok to drive this way for the week? I dont want to crash the car, lol. Is highway driving safe, etc. Thanks ahead of time
Old 07-22-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BE CAREFUL!

At highway speeds your stability will be significantly reduced. And if your front sway bar is still connected it should understeer more.

in the end, yes, its safe but also realize your lateral stability is not what it should be.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

so as long as I take some extra precautions in the turns on the highway, will I be ok?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

In short, you could, however, if you make a quick lane change, or need to make an emrgency evasive maneuver, you will be in great danger as the momentum from the lateral movement will greatly unstabilise, especially if it is the rear swaybar that is uninstalled.

My take, depending where you are it could be possible, however I feel safety is paramount before saving time and a few bucks not to reinstall an item that is vital the the vehicles stability. I will absolutely say no if you are operating the vehicle in moderate to heavy traffic.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've driven my Firebird for a week or two at the time without a front sway. Does it sway more?? You know that answer I'm sure. But I can tell you that my 2000 Firebird handles better without a sway than my 2002 Kia, my 83 K5 Blazer, a 70 Torino I had, a 67 Mustang I had,,,,,, or probably better than at least 50% of the cars, trucks and SUVs out on the road today. You get the point.

Bottom line, take your swaybar off, drive it and see what the difference is and how you feel about it. If it bothers you, only remove one of the links when you are at the track. You will get your weight transfer and it will only take ten minutes to bolt bake up. Or, just remove it at home, drive slowly and carefully to the track, do your racing and drive carefully back and replace.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Judd
I've driven my Firebird for a week or two at the time without a front sway. Does it sway more?? You know that answer I'm sure. But I can tell you that my 2000 Firebird handles better without a sway than my 2002 Kia, my 83 K5 Blazer, a 70 Torino I had, a 67 Mustang I had,,,,,, or probably better than at least 50% of the cars, trucks and SUVs out on the road today. You get the point.

Bottom line, take your swaybar off, drive it and see what the difference is and how you feel about it. If it bothers you, only remove one of the links when you are at the track. You will get your weight transfer and it will only take ten minutes to bolt bake up. Or, just remove it at home, drive slowly and carefully to the track, do your racing and drive carefully back and replace.
Um... he's referring to his rear swaybar... read the topic... THEN answer question. Works much more better.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dang had a hell of a brain fart there. I have them from time to time. Heck it's probably safer than driving without the front bar. Should just push bad.

In any event,,, I'll try to do better next time.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your in doubt of the saftey of the car, I wouldnt risk it.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Judd
Dang had a hell of a brain fart there. I have them from time to time. Heck it's probably safer than driving without the front bar. Should just push bad.

In any event,,, I'll try to do better next time.
No worries... just bustin your ***** there Judd...
Old 07-24-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might be able to get away with it, but I personally would not do it. If you think about it, the sway bar makes up for almost half of what keeps the rear end connected to the car. The LCAs and T/A have one connection each, while the sway bar connects twice. I wouldn't feel safe driving knowing 2/5 of the connection is missing, but that's just me. If you do it, please be careful
Old 07-24-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Strahley
You might be able to get away with it, but I personally would not do it. If you think about it, the sway bar makes up for almost half of what keeps the rear end connected to the car. The LCAs and T/A have one connection each, while the sway bar connects twice. I wouldn't feel safe driving knowing 2/5 of the connection is missing, but that's just me. If you do it, please be careful
I don't know enough to judge the safety, but I do know the shocks also connect the rear end to the car.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
No worries... just bustin your ***** there Judd...
No problem, sometimes I need a swift kick in the rear to keep me from wondering off on some tangent!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
I don't know enough to judge the safety, but I do know the shocks also connect the rear end to the car.
Don't forget the Panhard Rod...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

i hated how the car felt with the frt sway off and will never ride with it off unless at teh track.......

lane changes, merges and off ramps were sometimes scarry!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Just don't drive too fast or take any aggressive turns, I wouldn't drive more than a single necessary trip with it like that but if you drive carefully shouldn't be dangerous.

Quick Reply: Ok to drive without sway bar??