Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood

Hi
I had a fab shop install custom subframe connectors. Notice the 2" square tube tucks up completely into the pinch area. No ground clearance lose at all. One of the advantages for a custom fit.

After installing the headers and the catalytic Y pipe the tunnel brace no longer fit. The Lakewood drive shaft loop is a good replacement. It fits above the Y pipe so no ground clearance is lost and you get the added safety of a loop. You can get it for about $45 on the Jegs.

Spohn dosent mention this their web site, but the factory bolts on the differential are too short for the thick flanges on the adjustable torque arm. It is now installed with the stock bolts, but the nuts are not fully threaded onto the bolts. I tried to get longer bolts from local supply shops, but they were impossible to find. I bought the bolt kit from Spohn and will get it installed ASAP. They are 9/16, grade 8, 7 1/2 inches long. If you can find 8" bolts locally you can save some money.

Thanks JA
Attached Thumbnails Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood-subframe-1.jpg   Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood-lakewood.jpg   Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood-torque-arm.jpg   Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood-subframe-2.jpg  
Old 08-10-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks really nice. Where are you located and what shop built those subframe connectors. I'm tired of having my bright red boxed BMRs hanging over an inch below the body, and was considering ditching them in favor if a custom-built pair.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Don't you have the TA upside down? Every pic I have seen has the adjustment on the bottom not the top.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Jeffs99
Pro Gas Engineering in Surrey BC, Canada. I can get you a phone number but I assume you are to far away to bother.

Bain
Holly crap. You are right, it looks like it is upside down. To do that the rear bracket assembly must be flipped around. I have no idea if this mattters. The unit is set to minus 1, and it is working perfectly. Looks like I will be calling Spohn tech support in the morning. God I just wish an install would go smoothly for a change.

Thanks JA
Old 08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAIN
Don't you have the TA upside down? Every pic I have seen has the adjustment on the bottom not the top.

exactly what I was thinking...
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I had another look and I don't think the torque arm will clear the MAC Y pipe if it is flipped over. I am a little supprised as the MAC Y pipe is a common mod and I feel this thing should work with it. Spohn feels it will not affects performance, only it will be harder to adjust it, with the adjustment on the top. I think I will get it up on a hoist again and have anouther look. Anyone else using this part with input? Thanks

JA

Last edited by JGA; 08-11-2005 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Photos of custom subframe and Lakewood