Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pro-kit problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro-kit problems (update w/pics) (fixed)

i just got my springs installed yesterday and my rears sit lower than my fronts. everything went in fine except pep-boys broke one of my struts when put the springs of the struts, so i have one new strut. the springs have been used so they should already be settled in. does anyone know what the problem is? i can put three fingers in the gap of the front but only two in the back.

Last edited by sleep-ez; 08-31-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Launching!

you could try putting in some spring spacers and/or heater hose.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

i would rather lower the front more. its sits stock hieght almost.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

i think getting them professionally cut would be the answer
Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

The front is NOT almost stock height. If it is, then something is wrong, most likely the springs are not seated completely in the notches on the spacer and upper mount. Also if you mreasure your rockers you will likely see the rear is not lower than the front. The Pro-kit looks that way sometimes because of the cut of the fenders. The rear opening is not as large as the front and when you lower the car it makes the rear look even smaller. This is not uncommon for Pro-kits and I've proven it to a few who had them and thought the rear was a lot lower that is a visual trick. You might not like it, and that's your call, but there isn't anything wrong.

I think you have two issues. Make sure the fronts are not installed turned from where they should be and not seated properly (my guess). If they are wrong, it will make the front too high.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

front 1st pic
rear 2nd pic
Attached Thumbnails pro-kit problems-car-hiegth-pics-005.jpg   pro-kit problems-car-hiegth-pics-007.jpg  
Old 08-21-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleep-ez
front 1st pic
rear 2nd pic
Wow thats messed up.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn it looks way off.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how most pro-kit's sit. Although yours does look alittle to high. Take a complete side shot of your car and post it up. That way we can get a better look at what is going on. Also meausre from the ground to the top of the wheel arch front and rear. I will do the same on mine and post the measurment's that way you can compare. My springs have probably 30k miles on them so my measurement's might be alittle lower. Here's a pic of the gap up front on my car. Sorry don't have a complete side shot.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

1st front
2nd rear
since it is in my driveway i understand the front will be a little higher. but when it sits level its still a little higher in the front.
Attached Thumbnails pro-kit problems-car-hiegth-pics-008.jpg   pro-kit problems-car-hiegth-pics-009.jpg   pro-kit problems-car-hiegth-pics-010.jpg  
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think you have two issues. Make sure the fronts are not installed turned from where they should be and not seated properly (my guess). If they are wrong, it will make the front too high.

Listen to this man.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ashzero
i think getting them professionally cut would be the answer
NOPE! Don' t do that. Have you ever seen ricers and lowriders where all of the occupants are bouncing up and down like those super bounce *****, even though the car doesn' t appear to bounce much? That is one by-product of cut springs. Springs are designed with a certain progression rate and when they are cut it completely throws that rate out of whack. Second look at the rear wheels on these vehicles where the occupants bounce...the tops of the wheels lean inward due to the chopped springs, and in time can cause other problems and premature tire wear and only on half the tires.

As far as the Eibach Pro-Kit, how many miles are on them? I have a set on my car with over 100K miles, and my car sits like yours. Unfortunately, it' s not really a settling issue, but the rear springs are sagging. I intend to go with the DMS springs the next go-round.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn thats off, my prokit dropped mine alot more.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it looks like you definetly have a issue with the front's. Like said before. Listen to Strano he knows his stuff. I would take it back to the installer.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

holy ****, someone look at the third picture of the full car, the front wheel is real far back, like finger width in between the back of the tire and the fender, the front of the wheel has a huge gap from the front of the wheel to the fender. Has this car been wrecked or something wrong?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your wheels weren't positioned like that in their wheel wells before having them installed (one positioned way forward, one positioned way rearward), then it's time to take it back to the installer. It's very possible that they just installed the springs just to install them without observing the finished result was. Basically, they installed them incorrectly like Sam suggests.

It also appears that once they reinstalled the front suspension, they screwed the caster up. It might not be possible to adjust caster to that point (extreme positive on left, extreme negative on right) but it helps to check the alignment, because it looks like a severely canted thrust angle.

Last edited by Foxxton; 08-22-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
holy ****, someone look at the third picture of the full car, the front wheel is real far back, like finger width in between the back of the tire and the fender, the front of the wheel has a huge gap from the front of the wheel to the fender. Has this car been wrecked or something wrong?
Exactly what I was about to say... That is definetly messed up.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

i dont know if this make any difference but pep boys compressed the springs on the struts for me. but the ended up stripping the driverside strut, so i had to get a new one. now if i remeber right i dont think that the spring was position enough in the right direction. the bottom of the spring didnt match up with the strut. the pass. side sits where it should when i got to looking at it more, its just the driverside.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

How much do you want to bet the upper control arms are in the car on the wrong sides........
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd also like to take this opprotunity to point out why you have to be careful with the internet. The title of this tread is Pro-kit problems. That's not the case, as that is not at all a spring issue. But yet, the minute that's read by someone they assume that's the case. Pro-kits have gotten a bad rap in some circles because of folks who have used them in an incorrect manner, and this just makes that worse. Sure some folks won't like some parts. But this isn't a parts problem, and it's no more fair to Eibach (one of the lines I sell) than it would be to BMR or DMS (which I don't sell for other reasons).

PLEASE be careful when you guys read posts, and take the information contained in them with a grain of salt.