Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Edelbrock=shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heads up to the loose hardware:
IF it is loose, then you might run the risk of the strut EVER SO SLIGHTLY moving around on you while the car makes turns or dips, speed bumbs, pot holes, ect... or worse, bounceing around in the mount. I said slightly because it may or may not move depending on how tight the nut is. The IAS Strut comes with a nut and a jam nut. One or both could be loose. I didnt use the nuts they gave me, I always try and use a self locking nut. I would check them just to be on the safe side. at $250 per strut I would hate for you to damadge your upper mounting post. Break or damadge that part, and its another $250. Thats IF its loose....and I think it might be if its spinning.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
with the heater hose mod
my front is just a tad lower than the rear......the free hieght of the new moog rear springs were a inch (or over) taller than the wore out stockers with the spring isolators..........my top shock nut may have been loose contributing to the spinning shock......but i was not going to disassemble the whole thing just to turn that adjusting nut

WHATS THE HEATER HOSE MOD??? And why dose it effect the hieght? what are your measure ments from fender lip to ground in inches?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

heater hose mod.......replace the big rubber isolator that is on top the rear springs......with heater hose......the hose just serves to prevent metal to metal contact between the spring and the body.....i used 1/2 inch heater hose ....or was it 3/4? .......anyway......split the heater hose and feed it on to the spring where any contact may occur....i think i used about a foot of hose
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
I have had my EDL IAS .........front and rear.......for about a yr now......I bought them mainly because I felt the IAS function (hype?) would make for a better ride and that i could adjust the fronts for ride height....which I did do.......I also installed new rear moog springs with the heater coil mod.......while they are a good shock......I do wish for more adjustability......they seem a little to stiff for my taste....I plan to get konis on all 4 corners with a coil over front mod......so I can enjoy some adjustability
And that's the trouble with shocks you cannot adjust for damping, no ability to dial things in to what you like. I sell IAS's too, and they are kind of a niche thing as they aren't like other products. However, you have to ask yourself, how useful will that be to you?

You can only adjust the front height, not the rear. You cannot adjust damping. They don't even come with rear springs.

Ride height based on looks is a personal thing. Ride height based on the car working well is not. Pick your poison... I'm much more function over form in my thinking, but many like the way my springs sit. If the car worked better lower, then my springs would be lower.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i bought into the IAS theory ....that it would be nice and smooth when cruising .....ramp up to a firmer ride when riding rough.....the proverbial have your cake and eat it too......the practice just did not equal the theory.....back to the drawing board
Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Befor and after of Edelbrock IAS

Here is a couple of shots of my TA before and after the Edelbrock IAS front struts install. The low rider look is the OEM style strut with Front Eibach Sportline 274676 spring. Crappy look and realy crappy handling. The other pic of a more normal looking front end is the Edelbrock IAS Coilover strut.
Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock=shocks?-sportline.jpg   Edelbrock=shocks?-pro-kit.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zerogravity779
Edelbrock IAS Coilover strut.
It's a shock....that's about all I have to add to this thread.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

That's true... it's not a strut, it is a shock. The coil location over the damper does not make it a strut--that's how determined by whether or not the damper actually locates suspension parts like the steering knuckle.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beat98TJ
Edelbrock has only made one shock for the front of the 4th gen F-body. It is an adjustable ride height coilover with an ERS spring. Edelbrock has never manufactured a stock replacement front shock for the F-body.

http://www.edelbrock.com/advertising...3000/33031.jpg

The rear spring is a sportline from Eibach. We also sell a complete sportline kit for people not interested in our conversion shock.

Do you know the spring rate for the Edelbrock 33031?

I cannot find it anywhere and I want to throw a set on my 94 but just wanna know how hard they are. Also who makes a good adjustment wrench for them?
Thanks

Also for anyone still looking for a review I have a set of the IAS on a 68 Nova and couldn't be more pleased for what they cost. They do give a stiff ride when needed but at highway speeds they are just as responsive without the harsh hitting feel.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rt426gt

550lb. As mentioned several times on page one.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-23-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cannot find it anywhere and I want to throw a set on my 94 but just wanna know how hard they are. Also who makes a good adjustment wrench for them?
Thanks

Also for anyone still looking for a review I have a set of the IAS on a 68 Nova and couldn't be more pleased for what they cost. They do give a stiff ride when needed but at highway speeds they are just as responsive without the harsh hitting feel.
for a adjustment wrench you have to get a spanner wrench.....i got a multi sized set at harbor freight.......worked like a charm.....if someone tells you to use the eldebrock wrench.......its the WRONG size....they do not make a wrench that fits this shock
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

No kidding? Dang, that's just wrong.

Also, Ground Control sells a wrench for 10 bucks and is pretty generic looking.

I was always able to get by using a rubber strap wrench. My adjustment collars look new.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Sorry didn't look at the first page.
On a 94 v6 (3.4L) lots of sites say they work but I am worried about the spring rate, I think factory is 223(?), but 550 is too hard for the 6. Is it possible to get a low enough spring rate for the edelbrock coil-overs? Or will that mess up the shock somehow? If so does anyone know of a coil over for the 3.4 v6? Just looking for something cheap for the daily.
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

550 with a crappy shock is too rough, but with a good shock they are fine. I ran 550 with my koni on my daily driver, although it was a V8.

You could get the Ground Control coilovers ($250 I think) and then Bilsteins. Or swap to V8 springs and trim them a little. Or just trim the stock springs a little.

But Bilstein and Koni are the only stand-alone shocks I'd consider.

I know you could put softer springs on that Edelbrock, but I'm not sure how it would react. Springs are about $50ea. 450 might be okay, but I wouldn't try and run them with 300's. A call to Edelbrock would be warranted. See what they say.

I ran the IAS's on my Caprice with a softer spring than what was recommended and it was fine. Almost no body lean and like 0 nose dive under braking yet soaked up the bumps with ease.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-25-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Are you saying now that the edelbrock is a crappy shock?
I'm assuming that the 550 is way too hard for a v6 front end even though most websites say it fits (?), including the edelbrock site...
are the ground effects you are talking about like these:
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=86

If so, is that a custom fab application or how hard is it to modify a strut to become a coil over? I originally liked the idea of the edelbrock 33031 because of the simplistic design of not much work it seemed like. It almost seems now that it would be easier and more cost effective to go with a QA1 coil over for the front. (I am not to worried about the rear tubular control arms, panhard bar, and large sway bar should keep it held down...)

Conclusion: Much needed call to edelbrock, or coil overs may be a bit too much work for a v6 model. ??

Your advice and help has been much appreciated
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you saying now that the edelbrock is a crappy shock?
I'm assuming that the 550 is way too hard for a v6 front end even though most websites say it fits (?), including the edelbrock site...
are the ground effects you are talking about like these:
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=86

If so, is that a custom fab application or how hard is it to modify a strut to become a coil over? I originally liked the idea of the edelbrock 33031 because of the simplistic design of not much work it seemed like. It almost seems now that it would be easier and more cost effective to go with a QA1 coil over for the front. (I am not to worried about the rear tubular control arms, panhard bar, and large sway bar should keep it held down...)

Conclusion: Much needed call to edelbrock, or coil overs may be a bit too much work for a v6 model. ??

Your advice and help has been much appreciated
I said "Bilstein and Koni are the only stand-alone shocks I'd consider." The Edelbrocks are not a stand alone shock, they are a coilover.

On the Ground Control coil over conversion, there is a picture of mine on Koni SA's in post 13. It uses slip on threaded sleeves that fits most, but not all shocks. It includes the adjuster collars, standard 2.5" ID springs in your choice of spring rate, bearings, and the aluminum top pieces. I think just the front set goes for about $250 or so.

Bilstein shocks go for about $240 a pair for front. So GC conversion and Bilstein shocks are about $500. The Edelbrocks are $520pr. So about the same cost.

If you get the edelbrocks and decide to lower the spring rates, new springs cost $100pr.

Your link shows a picture of the kit for a 3rd gen F-body. It's a website goof.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

How hard/what shock part # would you use for the ground controls? (Shock should be the same for V8/V6 right just a spring swap?) (most companies only make 1 strut/shock for both models)
Do you start with a strut and cut off the spring mount or do they make a shock specifically for this use?
Thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

How hard/what shock part # would you use for the ground controls? (Shock should be the same for V8/V6 right just a spring swap?) (most companies only make 1 strut/shock for both models)
Do you start with a strut and cut off the spring mount or do they make a shock specifically for this use?
Thanks
It uses the stock style shock. The stock lower spring cup slides off and the GC sleeve slides on. Simple as that.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Isn't the lower spring mount welded on?

Looking at KYB AGX...
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...4&autoModClar=

Or the Bilstein...
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...4&autoModClar=

Looking for a site that sells the ground control for just the front with a 225-300 spring rate... seen one? Just the fronts?

This kit style sounds better than risking the edelbrocks now... Just concered about getting the lower spring mount off the Strut. And how exactly the ground controls mount up on the tube.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Isn't the lower spring mount welded on?

Looking for a site that sells the ground control for just the front with a 225-300 spring rate... seen one? Just the fronts?

This kit style sounds better than risking the edelbrocks now... Just concered about getting the lower spring mount off the Strut. And how exactly the ground controls mount up on the tube.

Thanks!
It's funny that you should find the one shock that comes with a welded on mount. That AGX model from KYB is the oddball, but that's the exception I was talking about.

On all other shocks you have to remove the lower spring mount from the old shock and install it on the new shock. Monroe, Bistein, Koni, Gabriel, other KYB models, ect.... all require that you swap the mount over.

Look closely at this pic. Ignore my air bag and text. There is a groove cut into the shock body. See the circular C clip above the decal and how the mount slides down onto it?

Here it is seperated:

My shocks have 2 grooves. One stock and one for lowering.

The picture of the Bilstein you posted is not correct. I would contact Sam over at http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php
That's where I got my front set from.
Spring rates are in 50lb increments, so 200, 250, 300, 350, etc...

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock=shocks?