Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tight Steering on WS6

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight Steering on WS6

Hey, I am thinking about buying a 2001 Trans AM WS6. I test drove it yesterday and the steering was soooooo stiff. I have never felt steering that stiff before. Does anyone else notice their WS6 steering being that tight, or is something wrong with the power steering? I drove my father's old C4 and his new 05 GTO, and neither are nearly that tight...
Thanks, Kelli
Old 09-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

All the ls1 f-bodies I've owned had tight steering. If your worried about the power steering have it looked at by a dealer just to be safe. Another thing you could do is test drive another TA or Z28. The steering should feel the same.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im with BAK. I have driven many Fbodies, and the steering feels tight, and maybe even heavy. Chalk that up to big fat wheels on the front. You get used to it, and I actually like it.

My 85 IrocZ had tight steering, plus it felt darty...or had quick turn in response.... that was the steering box though.... it was geared different than standard Fbods.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much, looks like that answers my question!
-Kelli
Old 09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mainly because of the 17x9's up front.

idealy you want tight steering in these cars, i would only worry if it felt sloppy
Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I never noticed my steering being stiff on my 2002 WS6. And this was coming straight off from driving a 99 Grand Am and a 95 Ford Mustang. Hmm... Maybe you need to hit the gym a little then. I guess the steering met my expecations so I never noticed it.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

The faster steering ratios reduce the amount of mechanical leverage compared to regular cars. The cars with really light wheels tend to have very slow ratios. I think GM actually made the steering a bit heavier than it normally would have been just to increase high speed stability. Just be glad you have such a fast rack with 2.25 turns lock to lock. Those GTO wheels feel lighter, but you have to crank all day to make a turn. That sucks. If I were going to get a new GTO, I'd HAVE to swap in a faster rack because that stock one is dangeroulsy slow in my opinion.

The tire size would only effect the steering weight when the car is parked, once rolling the tires shouldn't matter.

The amount of caster in the alignment can also effect the weight. The more caster, the heavier it feels. (I think that's right).
Old 09-11-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The amount of caster in the alignment can also effect the weight. The more caster, the heavier it feels. (I think that's right).
Yup, that's what I was just going to post, but you got it first.

Quick Reply: Tight Steering on WS6