Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks and Springs install: Hard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and Springs install: Hard?

I ordered Bilstein HD shocks and the Eibach Pro-Kit (should arrive soon) How long did it take you guys to do it? Was it hard? Are there any tutorial websites on it? a friend that's a mechanic says it can take 6 hours, front and rear, and I may have to do an alignment afterwards. Is that true, because I just had an alignment done. Alex
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Teching In

just found a tutorial on ls1howto.com. Looks pretty tough to me. 6 hours is starting to sound right. NOOOOO...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Banned

I've done three shock and spring installs. The first took me about 10 hrs. The 2nd about 6 hours. And the last this past weekend took about 5 hrs. I could have done it in 4 if it weren't for the rust on the passenger front shock. It's not hard and there aren't that many pieces involved. The rear is very easy and can be done in about 45 min. or so. The front is a bit more involved and the assembly is heavier and can be awkward to position. Having a friend really helps. You will NEED an alignment, unless you don't care about tire wear. The fronts will be aggressively cambered with the drop the prokit is going to give you. I know because I've had one before.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Teching In

do you think it is worth it to let it get done by, NTB or another shop? I would like to do it by myself, but if they do a good job and not charge too much I might let them do it. Thanks joblo.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristatez28lt1
do you think it is worth it to let it get done by, NTB or another shop? I would like to do it by myself, but if they do a good job and not charge too much I might let them do it. Thanks joblo.
Dude, you're going to be looking into at least the 300 dollar range for the install. Maybe even more depending on where you go. Do not be intimidated by a little spring and shock install. With the ls1howto.com walkthrough and the tools, you cannot mess this up.

Quick Reply: Shocks and Springs install: Hard?