Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS Kicking on Unnecessarily

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Kicking on Unnecessarily

Hey guys, my ABS has been kicking on when taking turns and applying brakes. Even at low speed turns like turning into a parking lot, the ABS kicks in. After this happens the brake light comes on and stays on for several minutes.

Background on Brakes: My car just turned 100,000 miles and I'm still using the stock calipers. I installed rotors and pads at 68,000 miles (Powerslots w/Hawk HPS) and of course they are slightly warped now. Is it possible that my warped rotors are causing the ABS to kick in unnecessarily or do I finally need to get new calipers?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Any ideas guys? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DAM1999Z28
Any ideas guys? Thanks.
It's probably 1 or more of your ABS sensors on your wheels. This exact same thing happened to me on my 97 Firebird and replaced it, worked for a couple months then another one went out so I just ended up unplugging my ABS to disable it. I wasn't going to chance it anymore because that problem almost made me run into the backs of cars on a few occassions.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Repairing ABS can be costly...unless you feel you absolutely need it, you can delete it.

In my opinion, it is more of a hindrance vs. help...that is why we created the ABS delete kits for the folks whom want to save weight, space and eliminate further complications ABS creates...especially with drag racing and using different sized tires.