Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein BTS Kit...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein BTS Kit...

Thinking of buying the Bilstein BTS Spring/Shock set. Does anybody know how well this works and how far it would lower a T/A?

Link... http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/prod...pany_id=100484
Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send you a pm...
Old 09-27-2005, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Might I suggest alternatives? The BTS kit is nothing special, and actually isn't something I'd recommend because of the springs used in the kit and the shock valving used in the kit. The valving doesn't match like it should, and the springs are pretty low and pretty stiff. I've spoken and sold *other* setups to folks who installed the BTS kit first.

For the $570, which is about the price of the BTS kit, you could buy Bilstein's and a more appropriate set of springs for the shock valving. The point here is that Bilstein HD's are not intended for lowering springs, and those are the very same shocks used in the BTS kit as well. Either way you have imperfect damping, but with better chosen springs we can minimize the issue. The next step is to use a set of Revalved Bilstein's actually meant not just for any lowering spring, but specifically for the lowering springs you end up running. This puts you in the $730 range for shocks and springs, but you now have shocks with damping intended to deal with the higher spring rates and shorter damping travel of lowering springs. You could also opt for Koni's which *can* lower the car a bit (about 3/4" in front) using the STOCK springs which handle very well. Then you get the car out of the sky, you get killer damping (which is what the car needs most), you maintain a good ride, which is actually much better than stock because the shocks are so much better, and you actually spend less than Revalves/springs and don't need an adjustable PHB if you don't want.

I digress. The BTS kit is a sales move on Bilstein's behalf. We do carry them because we don't want any customer thinking we are recommending something else because I don't HAVE the BTS kit. Quite the contrary, we have them but you can do better for the same cost and a lot better for a little more money.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion