Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those of you looking to run Bilstein HD's with lowering springs, look here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Those of you looking to run Bilstein HD's with lowering springs, look here!!!!

Top of the page, *BIG* letters:
http://www.bilstein.com/302passengercars.pdf

For those that can't link it, here's the section....

"IMPORTANT NOTE-SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS FOR LOWERING VEHICLE RIDE HEIGHT.
If Bilstein shocks are used in conjunction with shorter aftermarket springs, the shocks selected should be Sport type. HD or C type shocks are not suitable."

I keep trying to tell you all that HD's are not now, nor ever were meant to damp spring rates sometimes up to and over twice as stiff as the stock springs. Notice that Bilstein for whatever reason does not make a Sport valving for the 4th gen car.

Because Bilstein chose not to make a Sport valving it left a BIG gap for good high-quality but also higher damping rate non-adjustable shocks. This is why we got into have Bilstein's revalved. The work is done by Bilstein's shop based on my specificiations, which are in turn based on not just the use of the car (type of driving), but also the actual springs being run. After all there are a variety of them out there and some are VERY different in terms of rate than others. The shock valving has to account for that, because the shock's job is to damp the energy in a spring. A stiffer spring has more energy stored up and therefore needs more damping. So our Revalves are basically Sport shocks, with one big difference. I don't do one valving for any lowered car, but have multiple valving setups for different types of driving and different car setups and spring rates.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-07-2005, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make the Sport for model for 3rd gens but not 4th gens? How can we convince them otherwise? Alot of us need a good shock for lowering but can't afford $500-$700..any ideas?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I highly doubt you will. I've asked lots of times to no avail, which is why we started doing out Revalving. Not just me but SLP also speced out a different valving for their stuff as well.

Think about $500 for a set of shocks. That's $125 average cost per corner. A simple good quality brake rotor like a Brembo is $67 for the front, and $73 for the rear. Now rotors wear out, shocks will last a long time (at least if they are proper for the job at hand). A really good exhaust system will set you back that much, and more for something that won't help the all around driving.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see how long this thread gets

FWIW, I've been very pleased with my Bilstein revalves and Ground Control Kit...my car is a lot of fun to drive.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Ur revalved Bilstein shocks my be my next suspension mod, but i need to save! hehe
Old 10-07-2005, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Sam, you're right. I do plan to get SA's all the way around probably next year with some R compund tires. I didn't realize how much fun I was going to have auto x'ing when I was buying all the suspension parts, lol, so I might have to 're-do' a couple things..

PS - Everyone needs to get Sam's 35mm front bar, good grief what a difference!! (just did it last weekend)
Old 10-07-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LT1 prokit and revalved bilsteins since Jan on a daily driver.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't argue with that since a former colleague of mine decided to match some eibach sportlines with some bilstein HD's, then he kept boasting about how his car had both of those items, and they made a "huge improvement."

Of course he didn't know what either autocross or road racing is, so when I decided to rent a small parking lot, and set up a simple yet effective AX course, he was amazed at how hard it was to manoeuver his F-bod compared to mine when I had Koni HD's with 1LE springs. Not to insult, but basically his car handled not fluidly, but like a bowl of diarrhea, compared to the dookie handling of his previous stock setup. I also asked him whether he tested his previous suspension's abilities, and he said, "yes!", then I replied, "where?" He then quickly replied with "on the street." (law abiding citizens make way and call CHP).

For even more kicks, I set both rebound and compression to something comparable to a stock DeCarbon on my DA's, and it still outmanoeuvered his f-bod. Bear in mind that both of ours were nearly identically equipped Camaros, with the exception for the mods mentioned above. I even asked what the sportline spring rates were, he replied with "it rides low, who cares?" apparently he didn't.

Point of this rant is to be careful what spring and damper valving combo you use. I don't really concentrate on what people's opinions are, just the facts of physics when it comes to altering spring rates and their damper's appropriate valving. If you don't pay attetion and/or consult the experts, then you just end up with placebo mods that results in something like my former colleague's suspension. Better yet, an additional headache will be weird, inconsistent, and undesirable wear patterns on your tires.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Strano just got my $$ when I order my "kit" Thanks Sam.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam knows his ****. I spent a good 30-45 minutes with him on the phone today. I was running BMR springs with Bilstein shocks and for various reasons I changed to stock springs and have some Koni's on the way. After reading about everyone with similar set ups, I am very happy I decided to change. True test will be later this week when I install everything. Thanks again Sam.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I talked to Sam earlier today also and i think im going to go with the same setup as WS6FirebirdTA00 also. For those of you outthere that dont know sam KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT!!! take his advice and sam thanks again for talking to me youll be getting my business when i get back home!!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Adrian87GN
PS - Everyone needs to get Sam's 35mm front bar, good grief what a difference!! (just did it last weekend)
I'll be getting his 35mm front bar and 22mm rear bar for Christmas, I'M PUMPED
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
I'll be getting his 35mm front bar and 22mm rear bar for Christmas, I'M PUMPED
ahh yes, Christmas, cant come fast enough! haha
Old 10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Default Sam Strano

I have posted about this man a few times, I decided to take my time and do my car right the first time. Sam and I have spent alot of time on the phone but just do one thing... Listen to the man!!!!

I got the ground control coil over kit with 500 lb springs in the front, koni sa's on all four corners, brembo blanks in the front with new fluid and lines as well as pads. the car is better than i can describe here to you all. next on the list are my front sway bar and new tires for my 18's the car is fun to drive again!!

take your time get alot of advice from where ever you need to so that you feel comfortable giving them your money and then you will call Sam at the end of it all for one setup that will make you happy. I cant recomend him and his knowledge enough to you all..
good luck take care and hi to you Sam

slawek
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

I need your suggestion about the shocks/coilover for specialty road course/openroadracing.

I think about buying the Koni Double Adjustable (yellow) with Ground Control Suspension (Eibach) Coilover for my 2002 Camaro. Also, I will have installed the 35mm front and 22 mm rear sway bar from Strano Sam. (Sam) I will order the sway from yours one day later...

What size Lbs. coil (front/rear) is best suite for specialty road course/openroadracing?

Should I buy the Subframe Connectors?

The yellow shocks cost front $390 ea. and rear $315ea. I don’t realize that Koni Yellow shocks too expensive$$$.
Does it worth to have? What other brand you would recommend??
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Just dropped a little under a grand with Strano and I'm VERY happy. Revalved Bilstein's and Hotchkis springs.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

I can't wait to give my money to Sam, he's given me so much advice!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

heck yeah, I havent' even talked to him yet but I have listened to his advice on other forums from other people and bam, I am this years' AX champ in my area. Beating all the stangs and Subaroo's. Thanks SAM if you read this.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
I need your suggestion about the shocks/coilover for specialty road course/openroadracing.

I think about buying the Koni Double Adjustable (yellow) with Ground Control Suspension (Eibach) Coilover for my 2002 Camaro. Also, I will have installed the 35mm front and 22 mm rear sway bar from Strano Sam. (Sam) I will order the sway from yours one day later...

What size Lbs. coil (front/rear) is best suite for specialty road course/openroadracing?

Should I buy the Subframe Connectors?

The yellow shocks cost front $390 ea. and rear $315ea. I don’t realize that Koni Yellow shocks too expensive$$$.
Does it worth to have? What other brand you would recommend??
Hang on there a second... This is NOT something you want to query the internet about. Before you do anything, please call me.

I'd recommend DA's for at least the fronts for YOUR use as your use is what DA's are meant for. And FWIW, the $1410 price you found for 4 is high, we sell them for less.

Coil-over are a workable idea for sure. But rates and such depend greatly on a lot of other factors that are TBD...

I'd definitely recommend a 35mm front bar, but I'm not sure about the 22. It'd be easy to say "sure, run it... it's perfect". And most shops would do that. I'm not most shops and the concern here is what works BEST for YOU, and if that's not my rear bar, then fine. The bars have to be tuned with the spring rates, tires and other things. Given your speeds, I think I'd rather leave you a stock rear bar at first since a push won't be an issue like on a track or autox. And the last thing we want is a loose car at those speeds on real roads.

Do yourself a favor and call me....
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And to the others.... Always great to hear when folks are happy. Nothing better in business when your customers are pleased and pleased enough to tell others.

Thank you all.

Quick Reply: Those of you looking to run Bilstein HD's with lowering springs, look here!!!!