Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to stop wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to stop wheel hop

I have a car set up for autox, and does it very well. but I get bad wheelhop atr the dragstrip. I was just in the carcraft RSE contest and on a very sticky track, a set of MT et streets( 28/11.5/15) I got bad hop leaving a dotted line at the the starting line. What can I do to fix this without hurting the autox performance?
The car has BMR LCA's with rubber/poly bushings and a LG torque arm, 105 lb/in springs, and adj bilstein shocks.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adj bilstein shocks ? ???
do you mean revalved bilstein or adj Koni ones ?
if they are adj, are they single-adj or dual-adj. ?
what are the settings at ?
my guts feeling is that the damping isn't where it should be.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have found the torque arm to be the primary cause of or solution to wheelhop problems for me anyway. I'm not familiar with the LG torque arm, im sure its probably better than stock but dont know how much better. Is it adjustable?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lwr control arms plus the panhrd bar should have taken care of that. it helped mine. are the suspension bolts torque to specs. maybe subframe connectors
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has SFC's welded in. The shocks are bilsteins that were converted to a single point adj shock that one adj affects both damp and rebound. The LG arm is not adj, but is suspose to have -2 deg built into it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Well the trouble with non-adjustable torque arms is that "supposed" to is often different from what really is because not all cars have the same ride heights, engine mounts, etc. which will effect pinion angle. Also and more importantly not all cars *like* X pinion angle.

The shocks may be a big part of the issue. Very few of the Shocktek converted shocks have lasted this long (I can only think of about 2 sets), and it could be you need some better dampers. Does changing settings help??? Of course unless you KNOW the change is actually effecting the damping that still doesn't tell you much.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume the car is lowered, do you have LCA relocation brackets? Are your LCA's parallel to the pavement.?

Quick Reply: how to stop wheel hop