3pt
61.26%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Subframe Connectors: 2pt vs 3pt

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A roll cage would better suit you for that.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a roll cage, hah. i'm not ready for that yet.

when's the last time you saw a z28 run 12.6 @ 106 with a roll cage? heheh
Old 03-05-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

many times.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
a roll cage, hah. i'm not ready for that yet.

when's the last time you saw a z28 run 12.6 @ 106 with a roll cage? heheh
When's the last time you saw a fbody roll at 106 mph without a roll cage and the driver not get his friggin' neck broke?

It only takes one experiance like that to change your mind about roll cages; if you live through it. ASK ME how I know . . .
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cal
When's the last time you saw a fbody roll at 106 mph without a roll cage and the driver not get his friggin' neck broke?

It only takes one experiance like that to change your mind about roll cages; if you live through it. ASK ME how I know . . .
Cal, you could not be any more correct about this. But from a drag racing perspective a car used in a straight line with this speed and power would get laughed off of the track with a full cage. In fact, in order to keep from getting razzed to death, you would have to explain to every clown there that you have it because you road race/open track the car also.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2 cents, and no more from me on this topic.

I think that if physics, chemistry, and biology would have to prove a difference in being laughed off a track vs. being carried off in a stretcher being severely injured or dead, your endorphins and other opioid nueropeptide levels as a result of being laughed at will probably yield a much lesser life threatening effect in a situation of being laughed at than being in one heck of a serious accident. As far as your body being in a serious accident, we all know that risk too well in one fashion or another. I mean it's highly unlikely you'd suffer from hysterical blindness, but much more likely to become physically blind if you skimp on safety.

As far as crash safety of this vehicle, it's way safer at a much lower speed than 106, but very dangerous in practically any roll over at a moderate speed, even with race harnesses and proper 4 or 5-point seat belts. The aerodynamics may not play a large factor in your initial loss of control, however if you shall skid and hit a wall, many other physical factors can cause the vehicle to be seriously mangled, thus dramatically decreasing your chance of survival.

In the end it's your choice, but I choose to listen to proven effective science than an audience of clowns, especially when it comes to safety.

Last edited by Foxxton; 03-09-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Foxxton
My 2 cents, and no more from me on this topic.

I think that if physics, chemistry, and biology would have to prove a difference in being laughed off a track vs. being carried off in a stretcher being severely injured or dead, your endorphins and other opioid nueropeptide levels as a result of being laughed at will probably yield a much lesser life threatening effect in a situation of being laughed at than being in one heck of a serious accident. As far as your body being in a serious accident, we all know that risk too well in one fashion or another. I mean it's highly unlikely you'd suffer from hysterical blindness, but much more likely to become physically blind if you skimp on safety.

As far as crash safety of this vehicle, it's way safer at a much lower speed than 106, but very dangerous in practically any roll over at a moderate speed, even with race harnesses and proper 4 or 5-point seat belts. The aerodynamics may not play a large factor in your initial loss of control, however if you shall skid and hit a wall, many other physical factors can cause the vehicle to be seriously mangled, thus dramatically decreasing your chance of survival.

In the end it's your choice, but I choose to listen to proven effective science than an audience of clowns, especially when it comes to safety.
Again, I AGREE with you! Was just trying to explain the irrational drag race status quo attitude. They feel that unless the track forces you to have one, they will not put a cage in their car, even a 9 second, 135 mph+ rocket!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let me ask this, any adverse effects of cutting my driver side sfc out to make room for my sts turbo, and leave the passenger side in?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only "ill effect" I were to think coming out of that would be one side being ~15lbs heavier, but instead of doing that, have you enquired for something in the manner of "custom routing?', at least some sort of job where the piping is only routed slightly around the SFC? I came across a sponsor at this board and they were willing to do so (then decided to go the cam/heads route instead)
Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i asked this in the forced induction section and was told it cant be done? when the car comes out of the garage ill have to take a peek.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

My advice is to find an installer (preferably a sponsor here) and make a phone call directly to at least two of them. Two of them here mentioned that it was possible. Please don't pulled too deep into the posts advice too much because it never hurts to get an upfront opinion from the vendor as well.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

my car only had 98k on it but u could tell where its been beaten.. no original drivetrain components.. threw a driveshaft over here........

I did UMI 2 point SFC's (weld-in) im doing bilstien HD's front/back with some BMR' springs now I wonder if i still woulda noticed a difference if i had done one before the other? and even if the car wasnt beaten on before me i beat the **** out of my cars
Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

since this thread was bumped, I'm just going to add my few pennies.

not to negate anything that foxxtron and strano said, they've got very valid reasons of course...

however, coming from a previous 3rdgen owner who now owns a 4thgen, all I'm going to say is that even though the chassis is loads stronger, its still, for me anyway, just preventive maintenance... nip it in the bud... my SS has less than 21k miles still and I put them on, because unfortunately they are a cheaper mod and I can't afford to properly do my suspension as of yet and its going to end up being piecemeal when I do have the funds, little here, little there... I drive over some fairly rough roads (not to my liking just lack of a better option) and its just peace of mind knowing it won't be as bad.

Yes, I'm riding on stock de-carbons, because the rest of my funds have still other places to go, such as a cracked windshield, warped stock rotors and fairly soon, to my dismay, new tires.

I'd love to just be able to purchase some sway bars, new koni SAs and the strano springs and not have to worry about the rest... but it happens.

SFC's for me are a must because I intend on keeping the car for quite some time, its not going to be a trade in, and if I do get rearended or for some reason hit something on the frontend... my chassis is also far less likely to be tossed into that "totalled" area... I've seen what happens firsthand when you hit a deer with and without SFC's on a 3rdgen... needless to say, I'm one of those idiots who feels better safe than sorry. I realize I have fully covered insurance, but the likelihood of them finding another very low miles garage queen virgin SS is extremely goddamn low. I bought the car with 13,894 miles, its a 2001, and not too far into the build year ... it had ZERO modifications, aside from an interior leather upgrade (factory cloth and send off to a GM preferred Classic Soft Trim dealer) ... so this car is my baby, and to date, the only mods have been the UMI 3 points, adjustable panhard and lca's, and seriously, that's it. I've got a B&M ripper shifter laying in a box, an air lid, also in a box, and my GMMG catback that is still, yes, in a box.

so for somebody like me, SFCs are not a bad investment..
my initial goal is to do suspension before power, but as there was a recent GMMG group purchase I couldn't pass up saving $150 on the exhaust I wanted, because its not likely to happen again ...

now I realize it may seem foolish to some, but again, I am a previous 3rdgen owner and spent a lot of time studying and playing with the suspensions on those cars, and while the suspensions were closer to being done in a superior form, the chassis was not... they flipped that on the 4thgen and it's like re-learning a lot of things backwards.

Yes, I intend do a full suspension on this car, everything front to back will be replaced and there won't be a stock thing left on it suspension wise. but that takes time and money and dealing with many other things such as family as well (I could almost guarantee if I didn't spend so much on my girlfriend and son for x-mas, birthday and now even for valentines day, I'd have my suspension nearly complete, I'm almost positive of that...)

but here's a randomass question for Sam or anybody else...
is there a quicker ratio steering box for the F-Bodies?
I much prefer how my 3rdgen turned vs. my 4thgen, and the moment I first drove one, that was my initial complaint.
My 83 Z28 had a fairly crap steering box (feels like the 4thgen one haha) but the later years provided a much better one, and thus, it was replaced. Now, I have no options as far as I've found.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

I like the feel of the 4th gen rack and pinion. The ratio is about right and its got a decent amount of road feel(not too boosted), and you can improve that further with a turnone PS pump.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally posted by Foxxtron: You are right about a T-top vehicle not being as stiff, however it will not be stiffened greatly by adding a tiny amount (SFC's are a really small improvemment with the lower chassis, but not the upper part, mostly improves chassis stiffness with extreme acceleration and braking, but no real proof with lateral loads found in hard cornering, pretty much an elaboration of what you stated). I discovered that the hard way then discovered that a solid retrofit panel directly to the T-top area solved the problem, and the way I designed mine can still be removable without having to modify the T-top area.
Foxxtron,
Could you elaborate on the solid retrofit panels that you referenced above. Any pictures of this. I am interested in doing something similar to my '00 t-top car.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sam I see you're in PA not too far away from the Washington DC suburbs. Can you suggest any shops that are experienced with Fbodys down this way?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry if i'm highjacking this thread. But I have a question. Sam Strano, You might remember me from another post where I made a comment that I probably shouldnt have. It was out of place and I hope you wont hold that against me. But anyways we'll leave that in the past (at least I hope YOU will). I am going to be doing some suspension modifications in the spring. I DEFIANTELY want to lower my car.(I think the new rims and tires did actually raise my car a little even though the tire sizes are right.) I am pretty set on an Eibach prokit and Bilstein shocks. And I know youre always saying that with a good set of shocks, you DONT NEED SFCs. BUt my questions is this: If i go with the Bilsteins and the prokit should I go ahead with some SFCs or are the bilstein shocks pretty sufficient? should I get sway bars instead?
again sorry for highjacking
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Back to the point: I have owned my Formula for 10 years. Last year I installed 2 point tubular SFCs. The chassis feels more solid now.
Does it go faster now? Not sure, since Indy tracks shut down in winter. Probably not. I had no dimples in the body before, so that is not a tell. The suspension is stock, so I cannot tell any difference there. But I do not regret the install. Next comes the panhard bar, since I measured the rear and found the right tire out, which is how it rotates when I get on it. But the suspension is a system, (which is what Sam espouses) not just one part at a time. So you must design the system at the outset, even if you implement the system one part at a time. JMO.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Back to the point: I have owned my Formula for 10 years. Last year I installed 2 point tubular SFCs. The chassis feels more solid now.
Does it go faster now? Not sure, since Indy tracks shut down in winter. Probably not. I had no dimples in the body before, so that is not a tell. The suspension is stock, so I cannot tell any difference there. But I do not regret the install. Next comes the panhard bar, since I measured the rear and found the right tire out, which is how it rotates when I get on it. But the suspension is a system, (which is what Sam espouses) not just one part at a time. So you must design the system at the outset, even if you implement the system one part at a time. JMO.
what springs do you have
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

great thread, i think im gonna save my money now. but are their some good spring that have a stock ride height cause i dont want to loose any ground clearence.

Quick Reply: Subframe Connectors: 2pt vs 3pt