Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't line up front shocks -- help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't line up front shocks -- help!!

I'm installing a set of Bilstein shocks up front on my 2000 SS. I got the old stock shock/spring assembly out, compressed the spring, disassembled, and re-assembled the Bilstein into the spring, no problem.

When I went to put the assembly back into the car, I found that when the bolts were lined up properly up top, the bolt holes where the shock mounts to the lower control arm were NOT lined up. This shock is rotated (on an axis along the length of the shock.) The strength of the springs makes for too much friction and prevents the shock from being rotated (relative to the rubber mounting boot) when everything is assembled.

I can compress the spring slightly and rotate the mounting boot, but by the time I'm done loosening the spring compressors, things are out of alignment again.

Should compress the springs slightly, and try to install the assembly with the spring compressors hanging on the spring? How in the world do people get things to line up?

Any answers are GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bolt the shocks to the control arms, then just "shove" them into the fender. It helps to have a friend above with a flashlight to guide you, but you can just push the two studs into the holes and install the nuts and bolts. That might work best.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

If worst comes to worst, you can compress the spring and shoot a little grease or WD-40 under the spring bushing (the little hockey puck thing that goes between the spring and the mount). This will give you a little better chance of "coercing" the tabs that mount to the a-arm to line up.

-Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Default Twisted

I find it easier to mark the springs ( being reused) in relation to the upper strut mount and bottom of the strut. I use lithium spray during assembly and this allows for adj. if needed. I have done six sets succesfully without affecting alignment.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh...I didn't realize that the were rotated, I was thinking that the bottom cross bar was just tilted the wrong way. That's a whole different problem.....