Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for lowered LS1's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for lowered LS1's?

I'm trying to lower my car1.5", but i have heard that changing the springs makes driving uncomfortable, so i would like to ask you guys with lowered cars the advantages and disadvatages of a lowering a car.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only disadvantages i've had is that the ride is a little stiffer (since the springs are shorter they hafta be stiffer so they wont bottom out) and also the rearend gets off-center by about an inch at the most (makes one rear tire sink 1/2 inch farther into the fender, and the other to stick out 1/2 inch farther. an adjustable panhard bar will fix this problem and recenter the rear. also, stay away from long tube headers if you can, particullary SLP's... terrible ground clearance. you may lose a little bit of traction of you drag race the car because the angle of the lower control arms changes...a set of relocation brackets will solve this problem an take the LCA's to their original stock angle and sometimes further. thats about all i can think of that result from effects of lowering.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might wanna get ya a good set of shocks to go with your springs while you have all that out during the swap. i kept my stock shocks and now wish i woulda upgraded them to take full advantage of my springs.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do it right, the only real disadvantage is ground clearance.

Save your money until you can get everything you'll need to lower it correctly without making sarifices. I didn't do this and ended up regretting it. At minimum, I would suggest:

springs
GOOD shocks (this is the part I regret)
adjustable panhard rod
relocation brackets

The install itself isn't TOO terrible, but if you've never done it before, see if you can find a friend to help.

-Mike