Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alright, time to make a Christmas list...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alright, time to make a Christmas list...

I'm finally gonna have some power to put down in the rear so I'm gonna need to be upgrading some parts to help me plant as well as keep from losing it on the curves. I don't drive like an idiot on the street, but I'd like to be able to put this power to down and handle better around the curves when the situations arise. CONVENIENTLY it is nearing Christmas and I need to make up a list of what I want. I'll be giving Strano a call for his input, but in the meantime I'd welcome any/all tried and true advice. I don't take this thing to the track but I may this upcoming summer, so I've gotta plan around 99% street use. The car is dropped around 2" with the stock shocks, not even deCarbon's (yea, I got a sweet setup ).

My plan is the obvious:
- SFC's (boxed or tubular? weld-in most likely, but i'm open to bolt-in)
- Adj. LCA's with relo brackets

But, I'm still a bit lost on the cost/benefit ratio of things such as STB's, TA's, PHR's, etc. I still have the stock rear end and I'm not looking to put so much stress on it that it easily breaks from these upgrades. Just looking for much improved handling/traction (as we all are).

Again, any and all input is appreciated, but it's gotta be facts from what you actually have/have tried. Thanks guys
Old 11-20-2005, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BMR weld in SFC's tightened up the body of my '01 quite nicely. The roads around here suck ***, so needless to say many squeaks and rattles have disappeared. The SFCs were one of my first mods. I isntalled them due to the shitty roads and knowing that I'm planning for some fairly high power and sticky tires I figued they were a good idea. In the near futrue I'm going to be doing suspension work though.

Before anything I would look into a good shock/strut setup to go with the lowered suspension. Also an adjustable PHR and LCAs with the relocation brackets. Once that's taken care of then SFCs and an STB.

Just my .02.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any more input from others?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to be all for SFC's, but after recently researching more, (especially https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/398983-subframe-connectors-2pt-vs-3pt.html) I'm undecided.

I would def go w/ the LCA's. And right now I'm thinking about getting a torque arm instead. The stock torque arm absorbs alot of power IMO, and would consider that before STB, and PHB. (Personaly the only thing a STB is good for is stopping some body roll, after installing mine, I saw little difference)
Old 11-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Launching!

have a very merry xmas (:
Old 11-24-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe an aftermarket TA puts a lot more stress on the rear end though than I would like. I want to add things that will help me plant but not GREATLY reduce the life of the rear. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit, but not too much.