Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA's for G2 springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni SA's for G2 springs?

I found a good deal on some SA's for a 3rd gen rear, so I'm thinking of going this route b/c I heard they'd work ok on my T/A. Also, it'd make buying new Koni shocks for the front a little less painful. LG recommends Bilsteins, but I've heard not to run those with lowered suspensions. This is a DD, probably won't see the track much BTW.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 3rd gen shocks will work in the rear, though they are not "on-car adjustable" like the 4th gens. But if you dont plan to play with the settings, you can save some dough.

and while the bilsteins are better than stock. what you have heard is true, they're not meant for higher than stock (lowered) spring rates. Konis are your best bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I wouldn't play with the settings much anyway, even if I could get to them easily.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Sam..you might have to have the fronts re-valved...spring rates on tyhe fron springs may over work the shocks..(Look at me sounding like I know what Im takling about...call Sam!)
Old 11-21-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea, I've been talking to him. He seems like the man to ask.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

But you never told me what you were talking about here.......

Are they Sports or Special's? Koni made both setups in 3rd gen rears. Are they 26 or 30 series? They made both for a while.... Are they the newest generation Sports if they are Sports? The later ones got much bigger piston diameters...

I was *NEVER* asked, I was asked what shocks cost. I quoted what I'd sell. I didn't realize I was getting my brain picked about some used shocks. So I take back my PM statement to LS69TA about the 3rd gens having the damping they need to control his springs, because he could have any one of FOUR shocks, not one. This is a CLASSIC CASE OF ASSUMPTIONS THAT CAN LEAD TO A MISTAKE.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

My bad. I thought I mentioned they were Sports. Newer 30s.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=Sam Strano]
Originally Posted by LS69TA
Would the SA's for the 3rd gen be decent on my 4th gen. with the LG springs? It's a daily driver as well, that'll have all of the LG suspension pieces going in as well.
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
They can be set to damp the spring rate, so they'd do the job. Not as much flexibility on the adjustment as the 4th gen shocks (4 big changes vs. a LOT of smaller changes, total range the same), and of course not adjustable on the car as the 4th gen shocks are. But they have the rebound control to damp the higher spring rate.
By what you said here, I thought they'd be ok. Guess I misunderstood you.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You didn't misunderstand at all. I was working on the assumption you were asking me about the kit I sell, which uses 3rd gen Sports. I didn't know you were talking about an unknown to me damper that is used from elsewhere. Based on what you asked, and the fact you didn't tell me otherwise what I wrote was correct (and still is).

Seems you are indeed looking at 3rd gen Sports. That's one question possibly answered (not sure as a lot of folks don't know what makes a Sport vs. a Special), but we still don't know *WHICH* generation of 3rd gen Koni Sports they are, the old small 36mm pistons, or then newer 46mm piston variety. Though at this point I don't think I could convince you that used isn't in your best interest anyway..... But it's not especially when we don't know what we are dealing with or their age either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

They were bought a few months ago and have ~1000 miles on them, so I guess that'd make them the 46mm?