Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shock Tower Brace

I am going to be ordering a set of SFC's and a shock tower brace, how hard is it to install a STB? Are there any sites that give step by step instructions?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a 2 point STB its as easy as taking a couple of bolts off and putting the bolts back on. A 3 point is a little more involved.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah it's a 2 point
Old 11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Then you are good. That should not take 1 hour to install.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

make a post in suspension about shock tower braces, ive heard that they dont do anything at all on a stock suspension car, that you would have to have very stiff springs to really need one
Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The install should take maybe 15 minutes. It's easy enough to to install that I would always remove it before goin th the track. And I DID notice a difference on my stock suspension car. $100 well spent IMO.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

The F-Body is a unibody car. That means no frame. Since there is no frame, the front quarter panels are inclined to warp when under pressure. Think of running downhill and then getting to the bottom and going uphill. The abruptness of the transition can impart a large force to the chassis, and the two front quarter panels tend to bend towards each other at the top.

The Shock tower brace simply stops this from happening by keeping the shock tower at a set distance apart with tube bracing.

What this really does is prevent chassis flex and the associated change in steering geometry when that happens. It allows the car to let the suspension work instead of letting the chassis flex for part of the travel.

That's all an STB does, and it is worth it. I have a 3-point Edlebrock and it makes a big difference when you have to work the suspension in a corner at speed. That usually happens in a corner with a change in height or an abrupt upturn in it. It CAN help in a washboard corner, too ... but let's face it, the F-Body isn't made for washboard roads to start with. If you're gonna' do washboards, then you need IRS instead of a solid axle.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldnt of said it any better GregP!!!

here are some pics of my strut tower brace..tell me what u think!
Attached Thumbnails Shock Tower Brace-my-bmr-strut-tower-brace.jpg   Shock Tower Brace-my-gs-stripe-bmr-stb.jpg   Shock Tower Brace-my-ls1-engine-stb.jpg   Shock Tower Brace-my-ls1-enginee.jpg  

Last edited by steveo346; 11-28-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks GregP, that makes me want one even more.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I have to do is remove these four bolts in the black box in the picture below, correct? Then slide the STB on and tighten the bolts back up?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Yes. It should take you 5 minutes at the absolute most, unless they are rusted tight.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frontman
Yes. It should take you 5 minutes at the absolute most, unless they are rusted tight.
Even faster if you have air tools
Old 11-23-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I thought I read a post that said all of the stress is placed on the K-member. Someone tested the load at the strut towers and there was virtually no stress placed there, if I remember correctly. There was a big thread about how they are actually useless.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by LS69TA
I thought I read a post that said all of the stress is placed on the K-member. Someone tested the load at the strut towers and there was virtually no stress placed there, if I remember correctly. There was a big thread about how they are actually useless.
Useless? Hardly. They make great towel racks, and look
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

It's an expensive towel rack. They do look good however.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
make a post in suspension about shock tower braces, ive heard that they dont do anything at all on a stock suspension car, that you would have to have very stiff springs to really need one
This is true, except even with stiff springs you don't need one. There are dedicated race fbodys running 1000 lb/in front springs that don't seem to need a STB. And I'm running 700 lb/in front springs without one. Stock spring rates are only around 300 lb/in.

As stated above, the loads go through the K-member. Take a front wheel off the car and have a close look at the setup.

Another thing that is not obvious without removing the front fender is a trianglated rail above each front tire that ties into the firewall.

GM really did a good job with the design of the 4th gen unit body. Most of these parts like STB and SFC's were designed to help out 3rd gens and Mustangs. In a 3rd gen you can see the hood move in hard cornering, and it has a strut front suspension; totally a different thing than a 4th gen.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

The 3rd gens are very flimsy. They could use one for sure.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first suspension mod I did was the strut tower brace. And yes, it was noticable for the good.

Also I have noticed while changing the spark plugs that the stb was very helpful to lean on to get leverage on the passenger side rear plug.

I have a question though. If I get an anlignment should I remove the strut tower brace then put it back on after the alignment? Or leave it on and go ahead and get an alignment with the strut tower brace on?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal

GM really did a good job with the design of the 4th gen unit body. Most of these parts like STB and SFC's were designed to help out 3rd gens and Mustangs. In a 3rd gen you can see the hood move in hard cornering, and it has a strut front suspension; totally a different thing than a 4th gen.
I sure remember when my 3rd gen's hood beginning to move in hard cornering. Not a pretty sight. As far as my 4th gen, tried the strut tower brace and it didn't do jack. Well, on second thought, it helped by jacking my arm when reaching below the thing.

Originally Posted by 98boxer
The first suspension mod I did was the strut tower brace. And yes, it was noticable for the good.

Also I have noticed while changing the spark plugs that the stb was very helpful to lean on to get leverage on the passenger side rear plug.

I have a question though. If I get an anlignment should I remove the strut tower brace then put it back on after the alignment? Or leave it on and go ahead and get an alignment with the strut tower brace on?

Thanks.
As far as the alignment question goes, if you are operating the vehicle with the STB, then why would you remove it when you get an alignment? Better yet, since the 4th gen doesn't benefit from it directly, it wouldn't matter.

The experience that people have with the 4th STB improving the performance is due to the STB acting as a "passive" stabiliser bar. For the weight added, I'd rather replace the front stabiliser bar with a larger diameter to directly improve the problem, rather than add weight by indirectly improving the problem.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

If they work or not they look good on the LS1.

Quick Reply: Shock Tower Brace