Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting PHB and ensuring rear is centered

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting PHB and ensuring rear is centered

What length should my adj. PHB be if the rear, shocks and springs are stock? and How do I determine if my rearend is centered?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

What I did is get two suction cups (like the ones used to mount a radar), then tied a weight to each one (nut). I placed the suction cups at the center of the rear fenders and adjusted the PHB by using those two points, making sure they looked identical on both sides.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Here is something that I did.... spray some water on good black pavement. Line the car up and roll the front and rear tires through the water. Get out an look at the marks left on the ground. My rear end was about 1/4 of an inch shifted to the passenger side. A quick adjustment and test it again and the rear end is exactly behind the front tires. I was advised by Sam Stranos to use this method as there is no good places on the body to measure from. I run my car at the local road tracks and have had no issues. It also stopped the rear passenger side tire rub on hard launches. Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Krab
What I did is get two suction cups (like the ones used to mount a radar), then tied a weight to each one (nut). I placed the suction cups at the center of the rear fenders and adjusted the PHB by using those two points, making sure they looked identical on both sides.
This is what I would do the center the rear. If the car is stock, not lowered, adjust the panhard rod so it is the same lenght as the stocker and the bolt holes line up.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Do not use the look method, but measure to the center caps of your rims.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys!!
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

My car is lowered. I have
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

My car is lowered. I had to use an adjustable phb to center up the rear end after the lowering. As far as using a measurement off of the center caps goes I would suggest against it. There really is not a good place to us as a reference. Additionally the reason to adjust the phb is to get the rear tires directly behind the front tire. Good luck
Old 11-28-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Adj. PR is really not necessary on a stock car. Yes, the rear from the factory will be slightly shifted to one side or the other, but it makes no difference with stock components.

When you really need the adj. is when installing wider rear wheel/tire combo. I couldn't tell the stock rear was not centered until I put on the TTII 17x11 wheels with 315/35-17. Then it was VERY evident. I used a straight edge across the rear face of the wheel and measured from that reference point back to the inner fender panel at same position on both sides. Needed to adjust 1/4". Doesn't sound like much - but when you don't have the room to spare it is!