Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

For 10pts, Diagnose My Steering Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Default For 10pts, Diagnose My Steering Problem...

So i had a bunch of stuff done to my car from this local shop, and i finally got it back. I had it aligned at STS, but then it was pulling slightly, so the guy at sts set my alignment to something other than the stock gm settings. I got it back and it seemed like there was a lot of play in the wheel (bout two inches either way and the wheels wouldn't turn). STS then said one of my tie rods was loose, so i got that replaced.

now however, it kinda feels like the wheels are trying to go in opposite directions at the same time... the only way i can describe the feeling is what it looks like when a little kid is trying to ride a bike for the first time, how the wheel darts from side to side... exactly how my steering feels...

is this the toe setting? caster/camber? something else entirely, its really kinda scary at speed, and i can't figure it out. the sts guy said if he put it back to gm spec, it would pull again, so i don't know wtf...

oh, checked my tire pressure, and the tires are brand new pirelli 275zr17s all around on stock ws6 rims
Old 11-23-2005 | 10:59 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Sounds like excessive toe-out. Take it to a different alignment shop, or better yet, learn how to do alignments yourself so you know it is done right. It's not that hard.
Old 11-23-2005 | 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

I second that get it aligned at a reputable place and make sure its a 4 wheel alignment as anything else is a waste of time. I would also say that they should have not taken it out of gm's specs. If they did then something was bent or broken and they were compensating.
Old 11-23-2005 | 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

I would take it to another alignment shop that does 4 wheel alignments or a GM dealer that also has the correct tool for the slotted control arm adjustment for camber/caster. Have a full tank of gas and if you're really ****, put barbell weights equal to you're weight in the drivers seat when aligning it. Test it on an even road ( w/o a crown in it ) These cars w/ this style of wheel/tire will follow any type road irregularity making it seem like it's pulling to one side or another.
Old 11-23-2005 | 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

If it was pulling and they realligned it then told you a tie rod was bad and replaced it maybe it wouldn't hurt going back to gm specs and see if it still pulls. The worn out tie rod could have been the cause of it pulling to start with. It does sound like it's a toe out problem. How are the tires wearing.
Old 11-24-2005 | 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by exstanger
If it was pulling and they realligned it then told you a tie rod was bad and replaced it maybe it wouldn't hurt going back to gm specs and see if it still pulls. The worn out tie rod could have been the cause of it pulling to start with. It does sound like it's a toe out problem. How are the tires wearing.

This is what i was thinking too. The tires are BRAND new, and have maybe about 300miles on the, so i really can't tell yet.
Old 11-25-2005 | 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hrsspwr
I would take it to another alignment shop that does 4 wheel alignments or a GM dealer that also has the correct tool for the slotted control arm adjustment for camber/caster. Have a full tank of gas and if you're really ****, put barbell weights equal to you're weight in the drivers seat when aligning it. Test it on an even road ( w/o a crown in it ) These cars w/ this style of wheel/tire will follow any type road irregularity making it seem like it's pulling to one side or another.
I agree with that one, since I have had a horrible experience a long time ago with those shops who do a sloppy job. If you don't wan't to take the time to do it yourself, then you should choose a shop that not only will know what they're doing, but will also let you watch them doing it and take the time and patience to review what they corrected, what couldn't be possibly corrected, and any parts that possibly need replacing. They should also include specs of their work with your reciept.

As far as the tramlining, the tread width and the tread patterns contribute much to that factor, although having stock alignment settings can dial out some of the tramlining. Just beware that if your car feels uneasy on normal roads after your last job (also an unsure centering of the steering wheel), then you must get your toe checked immediately, because you'll be in danger of excessive bumpsteer or worse, can cause one of your front brakes to lock if you need to make a panic style stop at the legal speed limit.
Old 11-25-2005 | 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so i got the settings set back to GM spec. But there's still about an inch and a half of free play in the steering wheel. It's like i'm always compensating right or left on the highway. It still feels very 'darty', i guess, and it seems like there's no on-center, it's always going left or right, and forcing me to constantly keep compensating..... Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2005 | 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Do you guys think this may be the other tie rod loose? Other than the toe settings, it doesn't seem like the camber/caster settings...

I dont think it's the rear tires either, b/c when i'm driving, it's like the tires jump left and right, when i hit a bump or pot hole... any ideas, b/c i can't figure this out and it's kinda scary driving and having my wheels jump this way and that....

ADVICE PLEASE!!

ps..

i already paid STS for the alignment, and the guy is really cool, so that's where it's going back to. He's done a couple other cars in my family and they turned out ok. Just fyi...
Old 11-28-2005 | 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once again,

take the car back to them and make sure they get it right. the other tie rod could be loose. Also, is there anything else you did to the suspension you're not telling us? I understand where people can be really cool, however if the job still isn't right, then you need to consider another place for your safety sake.
Old 11-28-2005 | 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Once again,

take the car back to them and make sure they get it right. the other tie rod could be loose. Also, is there anything else you did to the suspension you're not telling us? I understand where people can be really cool, however if the job still isn't right, then you need to consider another place for your safety sake.

Not telling....? um... the original shop that did all my engine work also replaced my front ball joints? any effect?
Old 11-28-2005 | 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

Or maybe the other tie rod?
Old 11-28-2005 | 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

So basically that's it? No new shocks, springs, or any other front end steering/suspension work? And are all of your current front suspension items still in good working condition? The more pertinent information you can introduce to this thread, the more likely more people will chime in to help.

If installed properly, the new front ball joints shouldn't make it more difficult to align. Got all of your previous alignment spec sheets from them? Many shops hand them to you after the alignment is finished.

You can try the other tie rod.
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

So basically that's it? No new shocks, springs, or any other front end steering/suspension work? And are all of your current front suspension items still in good working condition? The more pertinent information you can introduce to this thread, the more likely more people will chime in to help.

If installed properly, the new front ball joints shouldn't make it more difficult to align. Got all of your previous alignment spec sheets from them? Many shops hand them to you after the alignment is finished.

You can try the other tie rod.

Other than the tie rod, the ball joints, i've had a new ps pump put in
The shop put that one in and since day 1 that i got it back, it has been whining like crazy.

There was also a very acrid and nauseating smell of burning ps fluid coming through my vents. Sooo i asked around, and deduced it was my PS cooler. I changed that, and also flushed my radiator (b/c the antifreeze was disgusting).

That worked for a few days, and now the ps pump is whining again. I've checked the antifreeze levels, and the PS fluid levels, both of which are fine. I have an underdrive pulley (crank only), which i THOUGHT would make it easier on the life of my ps pump.... but i can't figure out why it's whining and why i get that God awful smell through my vents....
Old 11-29-2005 | 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO, you need a different shop for that car.

Anyway, did the shop give you the alignment specs, and if so, do you have them to post here? Apparently the alignment is still off somehow, and the very first step is to determine what the specs actually are, and what they were previously.

If the specs can be corrected or not, then we should move on to the parts themselves. I would also like to get a bit more details if the vehicle had undergone a minor accident when these problems began, and if so, was the vehicle okay beforehand? Some of your unchanged parts could also have been damaged somehow, including but not limited to: hitting a curb, smashing the fender and only replacing the fender covers, or some other type of competitive accident.

Was the vehicle serviced by someone other than a trained professional, only to have to be eventually fixed by one?

I know that this can be overwhelming, however there are still not enough details to solve that alignment problem. If you can post the specs, then we can really see what's wrong with the settings. If the specs are correct, then the parts themselves need to be looked at.
Old 11-29-2005 | 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The play you feel in the wheel is the steering knuckle being a little loose. You'll see the upper knuckle by your driver's side exhaust manifold. Make sure the bolt is tightened down all the way. They come loose over time, and that will get rid of your steering wheel play.
Old 11-29-2005 | 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

IMHO, you need a different shop for that car.

Anyway, did the shop give you the alignment specs, and if so, do you have them to post here? Apparently the alignment is still off somehow, and the very first step is to determine what the specs actually are, and what they were previously.

If the specs can be corrected or not, then we should move on to the parts themselves. I would also like to get a bit more details if the vehicle had undergone a minor accident when these problems began, and if so, was the vehicle okay beforehand? Some of your unchanged parts could also have been damaged somehow, including but not limited to: hitting a curb, smashing the fender and only replacing the fender covers, or some other type of competitive accident.

Was the vehicle serviced by someone other than a trained professional, only to have to be eventually fixed by one?

I know that this can be overwhelming, however there are still not enough details to solve that alignment problem. If you can post the specs, then we can really see what's wrong with the settings. If the specs are correct, then the parts themselves need to be looked at.

I'm taking the car back to sts tomorrow. There was no damage to the front end, no accident damage or anything like that. The car was fine before i brought it to the shop that did the engine work/ball joints/ps pump. The shop aligned the car, but with bald tires... needless to say i've had a lot of problems with the shop, which is why i brought it to sts. I'll find out the specs when i take it in... b/t this and the power steering pump... i'm losing my f-ing mind...
Old 11-29-2005 | 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WestSide
The play you feel in the wheel is the steering knuckle being a little loose. You'll see the upper knuckle by your driver's side exhaust manifold. Make sure the bolt is tightened down all the way. They come loose over time, and that will get rid of your steering wheel play.

I checked the knuckle before, the nut was tight, but there's room to move it up further (towards the fire wall), would that have any bearing? Or is it in the steering box itself?
Old 11-29-2005 | 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you feel comfortable...tighten it down a bit if you can and check to see if it makes any difference...just little by little. Other than that, I'm stumped. Good luck
Old 11-30-2005 | 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Bad steering rack?

Quick Reply: For 10pts, Diagnose My Steering Problem...