Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should I get polyurethane bushings for my 35mm sway bar???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Should I get polyurethane bushings for my 35mm sway bar???

I am going to install my 35mm sway bar soon and was wondering if I should use stock rubber mounts or polyurethane ones?

It's a daily driver with Koni DA's, BMR Subframes and Boxed Panhard rod and LCA's.

Any information on what the differences would be is much appreciated!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

What kind of bar is it? Because all the aftermaket bars come with new urethane bushings already.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

That's the problem, I don't know.

I have a friend in Florida who just bought your bars for my old car, a 1999 Trans-Am (he also got you Koni package, his name is Spencer) and he loves it so I wanted some.

My other friend in Florida knew I had already got the Koni DA's and was going to get your bars as well.

Apparently he had a 35mm bar off a car that he is going to give me as a Christmas gift but no clue as to what brand it is, just the size.

I'm not sure if he's sending the bushings or not but I was going to replace them regardless.

I was trying to decide between the poly's or the rubber one's SLP has.

My main concern is noise. It's a daily driver.

Since you're here Sam , where on your website can I order the rear bar? I didn't know what manufacturer to look under since I thought you made them...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

All new bars come with poly---get rid of the rubber...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Sam's bars are made by Addco.

-Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
No necessarily. Some come with poly, some come with rubber, and some come with Derlin. My 1LE kit came with Derlin busings and endlinks. No problems with them here.

-Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
That's the problem, I don't know.

I have a friend in Florida who just bought your bars for my old car, a 1999 Trans-Am (he also got you Koni package, his name is Spencer) and he loves it so I wanted some.

My other friend in Florida knew I had already got the Koni DA's and was going to get your bars as well.

Apparently he had a 35mm bar off a car that he is going to give me as a Christmas gift but no clue as to what brand it is, just the size.

I'm not sure if he's sending the bushings or not but I was going to replace them regardless.

I was trying to decide between the poly's or the rubber one's SLP has.

My main concern is noise. It's a daily driver.

Since you're here Sam , where on your website can I order the rear bar? I didn't know what manufacturer to look under since I thought you made them...

A poly bushing that's lubed well and with an appropriate lubricant makes noise a non-issue. Go Poly. Most likely the bar is an ST bar (pretty much has to be by description). And I can get you those bushings and brackets if you like. Beware that Energy Suspension no longer makes non-zerk fitted 35mm's. And we have a lot of problems with the zerked types cracking because the hole for the grease is a stress riser and the 35mm bar puts a ton of force on them.

As for the rear bar... It's on the site. Just search search Chevrolet, Camaro, suspension and it'll come up under swaybars. Part number on the site is STR-22mm. I'd link it if I could, but the site doesn't work quite that way. Or, you could just call me, which might be easier. It's $189 plus shipping (which isn't much as it's not heavy).
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't want to hijack here, but some have misconstrued Sam's request to call him as being something negative, but I will wholeheartedly mention that not calling him would be a opportunity missed out. I would mention that all of his family has their information togethor and Sam Jr. himself is very patient, polite, and intelligent when it comes to discussing suspension. And if there's any technical problems, they go to great lengths to resolve them.

I'd also mention that the manufacturer of some of his suspension items, Addco, is a top notch company that pretty much works great with Strano's customers as well. Not only were the bars quality pieces that are inexpensive, highly engineered, not over built, but dealing with any defective part issues was a customer service dream compared to many other businesses today.

Sam's customised Addco stabiliser bars are very high quality without the unecessary frills, plus even with my high spring rates and linear valvings, they're amazingly stable.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I agree with ridding the "rubber", however only if it's old and deformed. I do believe however that both bushings for the stock and 1LE are a type of delrin, which is usually fine provided they're not deformed and worn out.

Since my bars came with poly endlinks, I stuck with them as the manufacturer suggested.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A poly bushing that's lubed well and with an appropriate lubricant makes noise a non-issue. Go Poly. Most likely the bar is an ST bar (pretty much has to be by description). And I can get you those bushings and brackets if you like. Beware that Energy Suspension no longer makes non-zerk fitted 35mm's. And we have a lot of problems with the zerked types cracking because the hole for the grease is a stress riser and the 35mm bar puts a ton of force on them.

As for the rear bar... It's on the site. Just search search Chevrolet, Camaro, suspension and it'll come up under swaybars. Part number on the site is STR-22mm. I'd link it if I could, but the site doesn't work quite that way. Or, you could just call me, which might be easier. It's $189 plus shipping (which isn't much as it's not heavy).
Thanks Sam! I'll call you to order on Monday when work permits !
Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This may be a stupid question. But you think my sway bars off my 91 Z-28 would fit on my 02 WS6?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fronts are totally different. Rear will bolt on, but is too large for most applications. It's 24mm, and while some use them you'll note I use a Hollow 22mm rear bar. And I've actually gone to that from the 24 on a number of 3rd gens as well.

Quick Reply: Should I get polyurethane bushings for my 35mm sway bar???