Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control Coilovers owners come in ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
You are absolutely right my friend, stock rear sway, and I LOVE how I can literally hit the pedal to the metal coming out of a turn and I have no issues whatsoever regarding traction, it sticks to the asphalt BIG TIME

What I am dissatisfied is how the front and rear end is softer than I anticipated, I mean the 500# fronts are TONS better than factory, but I notice that it "feels" not as stiff as I want it to be, if that makes sense...

RE: shock setup, I have the fronts set @4 sweeps, rears set @2 full turns, think setting the shocks stiffer would help?
Yep, I would just crank up those front Koni's before getting stiffer springs. I autoX race about one sweep off full stiff, but I also have 700 lb springs and stiff race tires. You'll just have to tweak them until you get what you want. It would be better if you could do this at an autoX test n' tune day, so you don't end up in the weeds on some public highway.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Where can I find these and also, How can I pick the spring rates ?
or do I need to buy springs separate ?
If so, where ?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the WS6store. U want 400 -550 in the front and 150 in the back. Springs keep the car off the ground. The lower u go the rate u need. I have 400 with 3/4 inch drop. Works gr8. Make sure u have good shocks. Koni single or da adjustable. I hear SLP has DA for 800.00 a set that is a gr8 price.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strano Motorsprots (Sam Strano)
Old 04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Why? After all, you can just call the WS6 store, swipe my spring rates and shock recommandation. And folks wonder why I don't say too much publicly anymore.

Of course they can't tell you why you'd want to use a particular rate, what shock setting to use with them, that GC's are not easy to install on Koni's, or the DA's are complete overkill. etc, etc.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam

All i can do is tell people what i did and y i did it. I did not swipe any thing from u. There are others that may come with the same thing as u. I like my koni da. I have adjusted both sides. And if u want to know where to start, on the fronts start at the middle, in the back start full loose. I still think anyone who is half a do it your selfer can put on konis and gc.

As far as rates u should use 400 to 550. With 400 and my 3/4 drop working well for me.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since this is already a "coil-over" thread, I would like to warn those "first-timers" who opt for adjustible spring perches to be aware of cornerweighting and crossweighting.

Essentially, I prefer adjustible spring perches for the fact that I don't have to be completely stuck with some sort of weirdo aftermarket replacement spring set that could yield an arbitrary spring height and/or spring rate, however caveat emptor. With adjustment comes a necessary need to not only be precise with height, but also precise with the cornerweighting because I have had to help many adjust their cornerweighting when they haven't quite figured out why their vehicle extremely oversteers in one direction, but grossly understeers at another.

Also, it's not necessarily a great idea to make the ride heights for all wheels completely even all around.

Oh, and one more caveat. Cornerweighting equipment doesn't come cheap. If you can't find access to a shop or a buddy that has the equipment, be prepared to spend ~$600 for a quality used set and $900 to $2200 for a brand new set with all of the required equipment.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cal
Strano Motorsprots (Sam Strano)
X2 Bought my GC and springs from Sam.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT99LS1
X2 Bought my GC and springs from Sam.

Me too, he has been a great help.

Quick Reply: Ground Control Coilovers owners come in ....