Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone using Crossmember Mounted Spohn Torq Arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005 | 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Anyone using Crossmember Mounted Spohn Torq Arm

I was looking into the Spohn Crossmember Mounted Torque Arm...I was wondering if anyone was running it and what there feeling on the product is...also if anyone has any reviews or suggestions on torque arms...Id appreciate those also thanks
Old 12-17-2005 | 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

im not lowered and i have clearance issues. its a nice piece, but i feel its more a track only setup. i think im gonna go with a tranny mounted one from UMI or something. This TA is becoming a PITA here recently. Im not too happy with it anymore. The front loop was a pain also, so i cut it off. I still have the rear one though.
Old 12-17-2005 | 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got it and am lowered. As with any lowered car you just need to be careful where you drive.... I do have a few scrapes on the crossmember brace though. Other then that, I havent had any issues with it.
Old 12-17-2005 | 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

thats the thing. im not lowered and im having issues. Im going with a tranny mounted one next.
Old 12-17-2005 | 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
thats the thing. im not lowered and im having issues. Im going with a tranny mounted one next.
I also did when I was at stock height but for me it wasnt worth worrying about. As they say, when you fix one problem another pops up.
Old 12-17-2005 | 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have it and there are 2 things that bother me about it. The cross member section is pretty low, I have a stock ride car and I have a few scrapes in it. Second I got the driveshaft loop in the crossmember and the Y-pipe rattles up against it. I put a piece of rubber in between but that didn't lasted long, I had rig a brace to pull the y-pipe down about an inch off the DS loop. I also had to reverse a couple of bolts that where too close (actually rubbing) to the Driveshaft U joint. Other than that I'm, very happy with it. I still need to make a more permanent solution to pull the Y-pipe down (since I'm still getting a very slight vibration)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using Crossmember Mounted Spohn Torq Arm-ds-loop.jpg   Anyone using Crossmember Mounted Spohn Torq Arm-tq-arm-1.jpg   Anyone using Crossmember Mounted Spohn Torq Arm-tq-arm-2.jpg  
Old 12-17-2005 | 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

I have this piece and I'm lowered with sportlines...... about 1-1/2" from crossbar to ground. Not the exact piece of suspension best for daily driving. I'll agree with a statement earlier that it seems like it's just for track use. The TA is also extremely loud. Includes whinning from the gears and clunks from the frame continuously since the crossbar is pretty much sitting directly below you. I have the rod end which probably wasn't a smart choice and I can always hear it clunk back and forth when I'm sitting in idle and throw it into first or reverse. It certainly dworfs the stock TA in strength and performance but also has a few negatives to go along with it. I'm kind of so so on wheather it was worth it to buy, but sure is no turning back now.
Old 12-17-2005 | 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

im also still inbetween..not sure what route i wanna take.
Old 12-17-2005 | 07:14 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

i like it works very good. for clearance theres nothing a hammer can't fix.
Old 12-20-2005 | 05:49 AM
Teching In

look at the tunnel mount from umi. its the one i have and i have no issues. im not lowered but even if i was i dont see it being an issue i have plenty of room.
Old 12-20-2005 | 07:58 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi
I have the BMR torque arm relocation kit. It transmits a little more noise and thud, but not anywhere near as bad as a hinged unit like the Spohn. It is a nice compromise.

You still have a semi-rigid mount (regular poly bushing) that is closer to the driver's seat, so when you go over bumps you feel it, but it is mostly quite. I think UMI and Yank make similar units.

I have no clearance problems on a stock hight car. It may be a minor issue on a lowered car. I think you will lose about 1/2" to 3/4" with it. UMI claims their unit has no clearance lose at all. I am not sure if it is out yet.

JA