Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Grinding the calapers for DragLights

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding the calapers for DragLights

How much do i need to gind my calapers to fit some 15x8 draglights on my car. Im gonna be swaping brakes soon so i figure i sould go ahead and grind them down and paint them while im at it. Also will i need to grind the front calapers and what type of spacers am im gonna have to use??
-Thanks for the help
Matt
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Launching!

i love how i hardly ever get replys to my post on this site, some one on here has to know
TTT
Old 12-28-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Alot. I spent about 3 hrs. doing all 4 of mine. You have to take a good bit of material off. There are pics posted somewhere. If my lunch break wasn't over I'd try to find them for you. I'll see if I can find with them later.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Or you can use 5/16 spacers on the front with longer studs and not have to grind. The rears will require grinding regardless.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above mentioned, it should help you along pretty good. Do a search on it, this is covered about 1 a week...probably why you may have not received too many posts.

I think you'll find, many of us are very knowledgeable and can help you with your car. I'll give you one recommendation, if you haven't purchased the wheels yet, I'd highly suggest using a 10 inch wheel, not 8. Don't plan on using the typical tire on those, they are all too large i.e. 275/50, 26x11.5 etc. You need a 10 inch wheel for these.

If you want something to be a better fit and not be bothered with fitment issues using spacers or massive grinding, we designed our Bogart wheels to be a direct fit. Shoot me an e-mail if you need additional assistance.

Steve
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

It took me a long time with a 4 inch grinder to grind mine, I would say around 2.5-3 hours maybe more. You will grind so much that it will start scaring you but the calipers are very thick so don't worry about that. Take your time, grind, fit, grind, fit... You can grind all four or like posted above, use 5/16th spacers. I used the spacers on front for a while then decided to just grind the front and get it over with.
Hope it helps.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

theres no downside to running spacers on the front, is there? I've always run 5/16" spacer up front, use to run them in the back too but I finally got around to grinding them all down.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 Stout Z
You will grind so much that it will start scaring you but the calipers are very thick so don't worry about that.
Worrying about that is actually a good thing. A caliper failure would not be pretty. I'd run spacers.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by steve10
As above mentioned, it should help you along pretty good. Do a search on it, this is covered about 1 a week...probably why you may have not received too many posts.

I think you'll find, many of us are very knowledgeable and can help you with your car. I'll give you one recommendation, if you haven't purchased the wheels yet, I'd highly suggest using a 10 inch wheel, not 8. Don't plan on using the typical tire on those, they are all too large i.e. 275/50, 26x11.5 etc. You need a 10 inch wheel for these.

If you want something to be a better fit and not be bothered with fitment issues using spacers or massive grinding, we designed our Bogart wheels to be a direct fit. Shoot me an e-mail if you need additional assistance.

Steve

i would love a set of bogarts, i just cant afford them
i was wondering about a 15x8 because i think thats the widest draglight you can buy correct?

edit: steve i sent you an email for pricing

Last edited by WS6GoFast; 12-30-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I cannot speak for everyone but I personally have had my rotors ground for 4.5 years and have not had one problem with them, and have put 60,000 miles on the car since then. I was more worried about having less threads on the studs for the lug nuts to hold onto with the spacers is why I went ahead and ground the fronts. Word of advice, if you do decide to grind, cover your car completely! Aluminum dust will get everywhere.

My wheels(have sold since then) were weld prostars for the back 15X10 7.5 bs with a 26X11.5 E.T. street and had no issues.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was running DragLites, I used my side grinder w/an aggressive diamond blade. Made short work of it. You can rent one fairly cheap and be done w/it or just nut up and be prepared to spend some time w/it.

You'll be putting on/removing the wheel a lot before you get enough material off.

I've since upgraded to Bolted RT's and wish I'd pony'd up for them the first go round.

I ran(and still do run)the ground down calipers for three years w/no ill effects. I'm more comfortable w/the caliper mod than I am with a thick spacer on stock diameter studs. The stud's shear strength is dramatically affected w/spacers.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:50 AM
Launching!

i did a search and i couldnt find the pictuers of the calapers ground down. maybe some one will have better luck. I go the e-mail back for the bogart, its a good price for the wheels just not my wallet, draglights will be like half that new, and hopefuly i can find a decent used set
Old 12-31-2005, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

If your not concerned about having to do what is necessary to make them fit, pictures will not really help you Purchase the wheels, put them on/off then grind what you need. You'll spend about as much time as the others folks have done to make them fit. Not that the weld prostars/draglites are a bad wheel...it is an economy style wheel that style, quality and materials used and weight is not the primary concern. If you just want a wheel that can work and it fits your wallet, then this is the wheel for you.

I have a customer that will be selling D10's shortly which are built for your application, I can forward his name to you upon his request if you like. Our wheels really are the best, ~30% lighter then welds economy line, show-car quality finish and fitment is built for the car.

As you probably know, wheels complete a car. If this is of any concern, every day, when you walk out to your car, seeing wheels which make you smile everytime or make you proud while your driving is a good thing. No one wants to walk out to the car and think..."man I really don't like those...or "I wish I would have".

As mentioned above I've since upgraded to Bolted RT's and wish I'd pony'd up for them the first go round we have many customers switch over to our wheels, never the other way around...there IS a reason for this:-). Do it once and be done with it.

I wish you the best. Have a safe and happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Launching!

thanks for your help steve, tell him to shoot me a pm or e-mail w/ how much he wants for them and some pictures of them would be great
Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

You're welcome. I really think our wheels are a better choice for your car. As you can see, I'm not trying to make a sale from you at all.

You'll need to e-mail me your e-mail address then i'll tell him to contact you directly if he wishes to do so. I'd post his name up here, but I do not have his consent at this time.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

What would a set of D10's run a guy 15x3.5 & 15x10's to fit a 93Z?? THANKS
Old 01-03-2006, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by toolmaker
What would a set of D10's run a guy 15x3.5 & 15x10's to fit a 93Z?? THANKS
Your application is a bit different so you have a few options. Shoot me an e-mail filling out your specs listed then I will be able to further help you out.

Just click the link below.

Steve

Quick Reply: Grinding the calapers for DragLights