Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Newbie to suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newbie to suspension!

im not too good with suspension, i actually dont know what each part really does....but i have already basic bolt ons, and now i have 220$ to spend on suspension parts..what is the first and maybe best mod i can use on my car? any suggestions, comments would be appreciated!! thank you!
i was thinking of buying some LCAs or a strut tower brace..
Old 01-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some of the first mods you would wanna do is get SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, STRUT TOWER BRACE, LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATION BRACKETS, and LOWER CONTROL ARM.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the post, any one else got suggestions?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't worry about a strut tower brace unless you like how it looks. Really depends what you want to do. If you want to handle around the curves get some swaybars to go with those subframe connectors. If you want to go to the track I would definitely get lower control arms and later down the line a torque arm. If you want to lower your car look into some springs/panhard bar.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your car doing that you feel you need to fix?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
What is your car doing that you feel you need to fix?

If you go buying parts just because people make them, you're more than likely going to be wasting money.

You absolutely must have a good understanding of each suspension part, how it works, what it does before you go buying parts.

When I first started considering my suspension, I went out and bought a thousand dollars worth of shiny new powdercoated, polyurethane bushed suspension parts because it "elminates flex, stops wheel-hop etc". (Control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, shock tower brace... all the very same stuff most noobs rush out and buy)

All stuff that has been sold, or am about to sell... simply because i listened to advertising and to other mis-information.

Do lots of homework before you buy, and then do some more homework before you buy... or else you may be buying the same part over...

My two tips for anyone who is just starting to work with their suspension are: 1 Polyurethane has its place in motor mounts and some other applications, but it is NOT the propper bushing for all locations. 2 Never underestimate shocks! The stock shocks are complete crap and you get what you pay for... buy good shocks first...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey OldeSkool, I wondered about the joke in your sig... are the noobs the ones who didn't get it and the morons the ones who didn't think it was very funny?

BTW - good info in the post... I'm getting ready to add sub-frame connectors (the driver's door is already a little out of position on my rag top) and lower ctrl arms and brackets. I had originally intended to install Spohn's Adj Torque Arm w/Loop, but after a little homework, it looks like non-adjustable is all I probably need w/stock shocks and springs. I'm really just trying to get the TA off of the tranny... Any recomendations on replacement shocks? The stock pan-hard rod looks so stinking flimsy too, that I want to replace it too just for looks (it's cheap).

Last edited by FUN LS1; 01-03-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

My question to the thread starter would be, what are you doing with the vehicle and where do you desire it to be, realistically?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remember that the panhard bar really only deals with push-pull strain (ideally)... while some have said that the stock part is plenty strong (and i am inclined to agree under pull conditions) i agree with you that it looks rather week under push conditions... sounds crazy, i know... just the way i think. I suppose polyurethane isn't as bad here as it is in lower control arms... but also... since the phb doesnt see the shocks that lca's do, it is my opinion that rod end phb's are fairly streetable... plus they offer adjustability, and zero deflection... exactly what you want in a panhard bar... so my suggestion (even though you didnt ask for it) is a rod end panhard bar... if you insist on poly bushings.. at least get one with the adjuster at the end... and i do suggest adjustable because its not hard to adjust and its nice to ensure that your axle is centered...

Now for what you actually asked about... shocks... i heard someone else say once, and i agree.. that these cars should have come with bilstein HD's from the factory... but no, they came with $20 junkers... If you intend to keep your stock springs, i suggest Bilstein HD's... If you want to go a step up and be able to look at changing spring rates later... Koni's are the way to go...

As for the torque arm.. i am still experimenting with setups and have yet to find one that i actually like...
Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Junkie

the car is a daily driver, i want it to handle nicely, put the power to the ground and ill sometimes (RARELY) be goign to the strip...afterall the 10 bolt will give out eventually
Old 01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

what is 1 mod i can do, that will give me a foundation to start off? ive got 220$ to spend (xmas$$)
Old 01-04-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A solid foundation would be shocks and $220 ain't gonna buy it.

Save the money and purchase smart.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I would save up another $100 and get a set of Bilstein HeavyDuty shocks.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

well i forgot about how i needed 80$ to port my TB so looks like ill be saving up...but Bilstein Heavyduty shocks? these good performers? how much do these usually cost?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bilstein HDs are about $320 for a set of 4... Good shocks for stock springs.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

is it a wise move to do springs/shocks at the same time?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on what you're goals are, but IMHO you'd get the most bang for the buck by just changing shocks. You might also want to change springs IF:

1) you want to lower the car for looks (and a worse suspension set up without a bunch of other work)

2) your current shcoks are shot (not real likely)

I'd use the spring money on other mods...
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Provided that both your desired spring rate and shock valvings will match. If you purchase replacement springs, you'll definitely need to make sure that the shocks are valved for those particular springs.

Not to give commands, however my advice would be ro really save up and investigate different shock options (almost sounds like investing now ). Searching around this site will help you as well. Search Keywords would be: Bilstien or Koni. For your purpose you'll see what the pros and cons of them are.

Once you have decided on shocks, then you could look at springs, depending on what shocks you purchased.

Last edited by Foxxton; 01-05-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Provided that both your desired spring rate and shock valvings will match. If you purchase replacement springs, you'll definitely need to make sure that the shocks are valved for those particular springs.
Good point; I hope I assumed correctly from the posts that he had decided to get the Bilstein HD's and wanted to know if needed to change the springs too...

I guess if you're going to change from stock springs you'll need to re-think your shock choice too: Koni adjustables? I haven't tried them, but see them used for this...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not to distract, but this is an interesting aritcle dug up from 1le.net:

http://www.1le.net/docs/tittermary.jpg

It's not a great article for those who don't quite understand what the Camaro 1LE package consisted of, however it's mostly in the components of the 1LE package.

This package was and is very good for what some would like to do with their daily drivers. You don't need to necessarily try to find a 1LE Camaro itself, you can duplicate the options, such as Koni shocks, larger swaybars, and higher durometer rubber bushings.

Again, dollar for dollar, what's really going to improve the suspension would be the shocks.

Quick Reply: Newbie to suspension!