Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006 | 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Default KYB shocks?

Has anyone heard anything about the KYB Gas-a-just shock? Sounds like a decent shock for the money. Says its built for high hp and tq applications. Would this be better than stock 98 Z28 shocks? I will be using stock Z28 springs with this shock.
Old 01-07-2006 | 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't say how they would perform with stock springs, but with the Hotchkis springs, they're way too soft. I've been running them for a while now, and I'm saving up for a set of Koni SA's. On gradual bumps, the car floats, and on more severe bumps, the car bounces twice.

They're cheap, but if you want an upgrade from stock shocks, save up for something better.

-Mike
Old 01-07-2006 | 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info Mike, hopefully the KYBs will be as good as the Decarbons for the stock springs. For anything stiffer than a stock spring, and the KYBs won't be enough to keep the car from floating. Anyone else have an opinion about these?
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

KYB = Keeps You Bouncing
Old 01-07-2006 | 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I can't say how they would perform with stock springs, but with the Hotchkis springs, they're way too soft. I've been running them for a while now, and I'm saving up for a set of Koni SA's. On gradual bumps, the car floats, and on more severe bumps, the car bounces twice.

They're cheap, but if you want an upgrade from stock shocks, save up for something better.

-Mike
Would Bilsteins be a good upgrade with stock springs? What other non-adjustable shocks are good?
Old 01-07-2006 | 06:08 PM
Launching!

I was going to get a set of these shocks also, then i heard of what a lot of people who have had them say about them, and i talked to sam and he explained why they arent very good. I say if you can save up for some good shocks do it! Koni's are what im going with. They are pricey but they are the best. Shocks are one of, if not the most important part of your suspension so dont get something that sucks. Heres some links that have other peoples responses.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=kyb+agx

Would Bilsteins be a good upgrade with stock springs? What other non-adjustable shocks are good?
Yes, bilsteins are a good shock for a stock height but they are not meant for a lowered car.
Old 01-07-2006 | 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

If you DON'T plan on lowering, get a set of Bilstein HD's. They are the best non-adjustable shock for stock springs available.
Old 01-08-2006 | 12:04 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
KYB = Keeps You Bouncing
How true
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

KYB AGX are total junk.

Get Bilstein. SLP has a full set for $300.
Old 01-09-2006 | 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Bilstein's are way, way *WAY* better than KYB Gas-a-just shocks. Actually, KYB GR2 replacement shocks are by far superior to the Gas-a-just. They are joke.

Bilstein's are the best non-adjustable shock you can get, off the shelf. Koni's are the best all around shock you can get period. And then you have Revalves in between. Non-adjustable, but offering more damping/rebound control than standard HD's have which can stand a bit more force. Not everybody wants or needs that, but those who like sharper handling, more responsive cars vs. just enough damping to ride well are those who should look at Revalves.

Now, it's important to note that not ALL Bilsteins or shocks that are revalved are the same.... The shocks I do are done on a case-by-case basis. SLP's are all the same, build to one spec for their lowering springs, and one of the things they do is take 10% of the front compression damping out of the HD's, which isn't smart IMHO. Saying "buy Bilstein's from SLP" because they are $300 is like saying buy a Chevy here because it's $10,000.... but you won't be getting the performance you might want. Like buying a Cobalt but wanting a Corvette....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-09-2006 | 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
Has anyone heard anything about the KYB Gas-a-just shock? Sounds like a decent shock for the money. Says its built for high hp and tq applications. Would this be better than stock 98 Z28 shocks? I will be using stock Z28 springs with this shock.
I would view with suspicion, anyone who starts
talking about high horsepower shock absorbers.

Quick Reply: KYB shocks?