Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Braking problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking problems

I own a 99 Camaro (v6 cough), and when I brake, my car seems to pulse/lurch/lunge forward rythmically. It almost feels like I'm tapping the breaks, but I'm holding steady pressure. I mean it's not like throwing me forward in my seat, it's fairly subtle but certainly noticable.

What would cause this? The rotors? Would one or more of them possibly be warped or something? How would this happen?

Last edited by TtamNedlog; 01-14-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

Yep...sounds like warped rotor(s). You can have them "turned"...basically they stick them on something similar to a lathe and then remove material until they are flat again, or you can replace them. From what I have read, it looks like the stock fbody rotors are notorious for warping, so I would go with something aftermarket if you go that route.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem, Warped Rotors!! I had them turned, I noticed a difference but they still vibrate a bit. I just ordered new aftermarket rotors. Get new one's, It will just start getting worse. My would sometimes skip, when I hit the brakes pretty hard.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ah I see, well due to budget constraints I'll probably have to just have them turned. If I were to look at buying some new ones though, I only drive a v6 and don't really do any hard driving, so would something like this be overkill?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

And if so, would something like this be more of what I should be looking for? Although I don't see how these could be so much cheaper unless they are crap quality.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...QQcmdZViewItem

Notice both are "drilled and slotted," I don't even know if I need that fancy stuff, and my friend said drilling leads to cracking. Could I get away even cheaper? Although that second option, 4 rotors for $170 and free shipping, that'd be tough to beat anyway I imagine.

Last edited by TtamNedlog; 01-14-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

If the pulsating is there during braking, but the steering wheel doesn't move with the pulses, does that automatically mean it is the rear rotors that are warped? I have the same problem on my explorer, and when my front ones were warped on my TA in the past, the steering wheel would wobble when I applied the brakes. I'm assuming that my rears are warped because there is no change in the steering. (TtamNedlog - not trying to hijack your thread, figured you might be in the same boat as me)

Last edited by Marc '99T/A; 01-14-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Happening to me also...

A LOT more noticable at low rpms.. when almost stopped.. if you are on the brakes light the car will surge.. guess i will be replacing the rotors with aftermarket ones soon
Old 01-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yes Blazing, much more noticable at slow RPMS, and no prob Marc, your question applies to me too. My steering wheel does does bob a bit when I break, perhaps it's the front?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah, if the steering wheel wobbles with the brakes, your front rotors definately either need to be turned or replaced. Exact same thing I had with the crappy stock front rotors time and time again until my warranty expired and I replaced them with Auto Zone's rotors. I must have had the stock ones turned twice and replaced twice within 36K miles. I've had the Auto Zone ones on for about 50K and haven't even had to turn them.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

It is very noticable at low rpms because there isn't full pressure so the brakes have more play, If your at higher speeds and hit the brakes pretty hard you won't feel anything, unless your rotors are real fucked up. If your rear rotors are warped the car will jerk a bit but the steering wheel doesn't vibrate. Stock rotors suck ***!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I burned my rotors with ABS, too. You can try to have 'em turned, but they won't be right again probably. Start shopping for rotors, and use this an excuse to upgrade...
Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I had the rotors looked at today, and they do need to be turned/replaced. So I'm going to order new ones. Any brands I need to steer clear of? Would any of these work? Lot of different brands, I know nothing about any of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...QQcmdZViewItem

Or what about the ones from AutoZone?

And once I've got them, I can just replace my brake pads with pads I can pick up from a part store, correct?

Last edited by TtamNedlog; 01-19-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I run the ones from autozone, at ~25 bux each, cant beat that. I have hot spotted them, but they dont have that warrped feel when you get on the brakes. Theyre cheap and I dont really mind replacing them.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm kinda with FUN LS1 on this one. Go ahead and use it as an excues to upgrade. I didn't because I was on a budget at the time I replaced mine, but looking back, I wish I would have upgraded. As far as the performance of the Auto Zone rotors, I've had no problems with them at all. Of course, I don't auto-x or anything like that, so they're fine for everyday driving. I just wish I had some nice looking rotors behind my TT2's. Guess I'll have to drive this thing pretty hard and wear these out so I can step up.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the Eradispeed + 1 rotors, but I need bigger rims first... THe Powerslot rotors look pretty good too, if the Baer rotors are too $$ for your budget...

Quick Reply: Braking problems