SOLID Mounts
24.60%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've put on prothane mounts for the engine and tranny so I'll see how that is when my car is running again...
Old 07-12-2006, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got the prothane poly mounts on my 402 love them and see no reason for solids unless you are strip only.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a dumb question, like Black Hawk T/A pointed out, the poly mounts raise up the engine a little bit.

But how does that happen, since the poly mounts are mounted into the stock cam-shells? I would have assumed the cam-shell would be the same size, reguardless of the mount inside of them.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
...the poly mounts raise up the engine a little bit.

But how does that happen, since the poly mounts are mounted into the stock [clam]-shells?
Yes, I was thinking the same thing...

Anyone?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_knight
Okay, I have all stock mounts and a nasty cam with true duals dumped and my motor and car both shake and rumble. Any change in the bin will be rattling like a begger's cup. Also my shifter shakes back and forth with the motor. (did that stock, even) Does this mean my stock mounts are shot?
Prothane engine and tranny mounts are now in and running. From the difference they make I can say for sure my stock ones were toast.

The shifter no longer shakes back and forth. And I can see a lot better out of my rearview mirror. (before, it shook so much it was just a blurr) So I'd say that it's a big improvement.

No new shakes or rattles. I still get a tiny rattle from what I think is the headers on deceleration, though. I was hoping this would cure that. It's nothing major, though.

But there is nothing at all with this mod that lowers streetability. It's great!
The following users liked this post:
strikeone (01-16-2023)
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a 6 speed car, sure. But for us Auto guys (myself included) it tends to get annoying fast.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
I have a dumb question, like Black Hawk T/A pointed out, the poly mounts raise up the engine a little bit.

But how does that happen, since the poly mounts are mounted into the stock cam-shells? I would have assumed the cam-shell would be the same size, reguardless of the mount inside of them.
Just a wild guess...The clamshell mounts capture the rubber biscuit that the motor mount bolts go through, but I would say that there's a possibility that the rubber can age and sag over time. Installing new poly mounts, more than likely, raises the mounts to their original position. Maybe??
Old 07-23-2006, 05:20 AM
12 Second Club

Oh, and I'll also report that the shifter is a LOT more precise now.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 AM
9 Second Club

didnt read all this but i just put a new motor in and replaced the stock motor mounts with the red polyeurothane ones from SpeedInc. I can not feel ANY difference in vibration or anything. I could tell a LOT with the ES tranny mount but the motor mounts...none. I would definitely recommend them
Old 07-23-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how long did it take yall to replace the mounts? like in the driveway witht he jack under tehre
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by reject
how long did it take yall to replace the mounts? like in the driveway witht he jack under tehre
If you don't take the headers off, expect to spend either a really long time, invent some new 4 letter words, scratch up your hands/arms big time, or all of the above.

Can't give an estimate though, i'm sure someone can.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

did mine in my garage with two rhino ramps and two jack stands. polys went in with the aid of removing the headers/alternator/starter. my hands hurt, and they both look as if i got into a fist fight with a bobcat. lucky for me my dual exhaust system is completly removable, so i can take it off and put it on with ease. i had also istalled a new master clutch cylinder and performed the drill mod while i was doing the mounts, so it took me about a day and a half! this was achieved with myself only, so if you have an extra hand, they might go in in less then a day.
car feels better, interior does not shake, vibration is not present. SMOOTH! good indicator that the poly motor mounts work was when i opened my door w/o them, my window looked as if it was going to shake itself off the track. now i open the door and it is smoother than when the car was stock. when my a/c is on it does not buck the shifter handle all over the cabin either. PASSENGER SEAT DOES NOT SHAKE ANYMORE!
TOOK LOTS OF WORK AND TIME!!!! --IT IS WORTH IT!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been running solid mount on my car since the new motor install. I do notice some new vibrations, and at certain cruise rpms the rearview mirrors blur up. But my headers no longer hit the floor, my tranny doesnt move around (shifter movement gone), and it feels snappier and quicker to respond.
I went to solid mounts with this new motor because the poly ones I had in there before allowed the header to hit the floor.

The poly mounts do hold the motor slightly higher than the stockers or solid mounts. My guess is because while they are the same dimensions, the harder material doesnt compress under the weight of the motor as much. Therefore holding it higher in the chassis.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went polly motor and tranny mounts, and never looked back. They work awesome!
Old 09-14-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

It took a buddy of mine and I 17 hours to install LT`s, y pipe, poly motor and trans mounts, new plugs and weld in sfc`s. First time to do that type of install on my car.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

I'm bringing this back up to touch on a few items mentioned as I will am planning my next round of mods. I intend on going solid motor / poly trans combo and want to know if anyone here has experienced knock retard from the soild mounts. Also hoping someone could chime in as to why it's a bad idea to change out the motor mounts without changing the tranny and torque arm mounts. One guy who posted in here thinks it's a pretty bad idea....

Last edited by psygkosis; 12-04-2006 at 02:20 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

If its a weekend car/racer etc I would just go soild

Daily driver, and if you **** about things poly would be a better upgrade then
Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Can anyone testify as to the knock retard 1st or 2nd hand?

And whats up with the torque arm and tranny mounts?

Let's get some input!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

I want to know about this knock issue...i never heard of that problem...why would they make em if they caused knock sensor issues?? doesnt make sense...what, no one has ever used them?
Erik
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I hear that because there is no bushing to absorb the vibrations from the engine that the knock sensors will interpret the extra vibrations as early detonation. I could care less about interior vibrations, coins rattling in my cup holder, rattles, etc. And I know that people with large cams have had their knock sensors "de-sensitized" via a tune, but I'd just like to hear 1st hand who has actually experienced this problem and get some details. I plan on getting a tune at some point but it may be awhile and need to know what to expect.

Anyone???

Quick Reply: What kind of Motor Mounts