Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Calling All Coil-Overs

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling All Coil-Overs

How many people have coil-overs on their 98+ LS1. Pictures are appreciated, also pros n cons. From most of what I have read it ups handling but affects ride quality adversely. I would like to hear it from an owner.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

do a search ,98% of the people have the ground controls while a select few have LGs coilovers. yes it will affect your roide quality, but it also depends on how stiff you make the combo and what you consider stiff. i rode in a SS that has 500# front springs and 150s in the rear, whe i go to order my LGs, i'm probably going to order 600# fronts and 175 rears. its all personal preferance and how much you can take/give
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running QA1 12 way fronts w/the 325# spring, and the QA1 150#/12 way coil overs in the rear. I like the ride height adjustability on all four corners.

Depends on the spring rate and shock settings.... I tend to run mine low to the tire(28-12.50-15 ET Streets)and a bit stiff in the rear, but that's what I was after.

FWIW.... mine isn't a DD, but does see weekend street time.

They serve my street needs and work well at the track. No regrets-
Old 01-16-2006, 10:32 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a custom valved LG coil over kit. The first thing most people say is "oh it must ride like crap now." Heh, nope, my car rides perfect. It's stiff, but like above, it's all personal oppinion.

The only thing that will knock out your fillings, is whacking one of the V braces under my car on the road at anything over 20MPH. I suppose I could just raise the car up, but what fun would that be.

Go with either the Ground Control, or LG coil voer setup and don't look back.

I'd post up pics, but theres snow outside. Pics will be good to go this spring, along with a few other custom things.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pros: Adjustable ride height. U pick the the rates.
Cons: U have to know the spring rate to get. Have to get koni shocks

I have koni DA shocks and ground control. Sam told me I should sell them. lol I have 400 lb/in in front. I lowered 3/4in. Ride is good. Handling is so much better it is hard to believe. Takes bumps like stock. The spring is 25% more than stock. The lower u go the spring rate u need.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Pros: Adjustable ride height. U pick the the rates.
Cons: U have to know the spring rate to get. Have to get koni shocks.
You don't have to get Koni's to run the GC setup or any other theaded shock sleeve.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
I have koni DA shocks and ground control. Sam told me I should sell them. lol
That's a lie, and you know it. That thread is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/436184-koni-sa-s-stock-springs.html you can decide for yourselves if I said that to YellowToy/A.

But, he's the expert...

I wonder what other setups he's tried. I wonder what other springs rates he's tried. Somehow I doubt seriously it's more than I have. Which include:

Shocks:
Koni SA
Koni DA
Koni front/Bilstein 3rd gen rear
Koni front/Bilstein 4th gen rear
KYB AGX
KYB gas-a-just
Edelbrock IAS
Tokico Premium Performance
Tokico PP front/Illumina rear
Bilstein HD's
Bilstein--SLP
Bilstein-Strano Revalves (numerous specs).
Penske Racing shocks
Bilstein Racing shocks

Springs:
Stock V-6
Stock V-8
1LE
SLP Level 1
SLP Level 2
Eibach Pro-kit for LS1
Eibach Pro-kit for LT1
Hotchkis
B&G
BMR
G2
Suspension Techniques
DMS
And the coil-over rates I've run on cars I've autocrossed (all of which are street driven)
400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 750, 800, 850, 900.

How about swaybars????
front:28, 30, 32 (Solid and hollow), 35 (solid and hollow), 36.
rear: 17, 18, 19, 21, 22 (solid and hollow), 23, 24, 25 (solid and hollow).

I have no doubt Yellow likes his setup. Koni's are great shocks, and coil-over are not bad... I'm simply saying that coil-overs are overkill in most cases on street cars, and Yellow I'm betting has no clue what a car on stock springs or any other lowering springs with Koni's is like. He didn't try it that way, so he can't say what the coil-overs did to help vs. what other springs would have done. I do know that information, and I explain it...
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by vigil
You don't have to get Koni's to run the GC setup or any other theaded shock sleeve.
That's correct. You can run a Ground Control or Global West kit on Bilstein's and other dampers as well. Whether you should or not is another story...
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I have the Ground Control Coil-over kit with bilstein revalves on a 98 camaro. I have 500# springs in the front and 125#(i think) in the rear. I lowered the car about 1.25-1.5 inches and the ride quality is not that different than stock. It does feel a little stiffer. You feel a small difference over the smaller bumps.

I ordered it through stranoparts. They are a good place to buy, however communication from them was sparse. Also, Ground Control sucks!!!!!!!! Their product is great, but their customer service sucks. They told me about 6 times that they had shipped it when they hadn't. When they finally did, they didn't give me the adjuster wrench. I ordered my kit on 10-28-05 and just now (within the past 2 weeks) received the wrench. I got tired of waiting and had a wrench fabricated. I was told that all of the orders around that time didn't get wrenches.

Be prepared to wait if you order from Ground Control. But it is worth it to get the adjustability.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry Sam
I miss quouted u. You said "I'm starting to think YellowToy/A gets a kick-back on selling GC stuff."

I also never claimed to be an expert. I feel proud that you think i am. Thank you. Its not offen that a National Champion calls me an expert.

I just try to tell people what I did and that I like it.

Vigil
If you go with higher rate springs than stock, most shocks will not work as well as konis. With the GC set up u can use what u want as far as shocks. I think good shock will help more that most mods.