Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA's + stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Koni SA's + stock springs?

Anyone running this setup? I'd lke to see pics preferably with bigger meats in the back 315+. I'm running a prokit + bilstein now and am too low. I'm interested to see the 3/4 - 5/8" drop the Koni's can give. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If u r going to replace the front shocks with konis, i would get ground control springs. U can pick the rate, and set the ride height. U can get the kit from the WS6store for 360.00$. The front rate should be from 400 - 500 lb/in. Stock rate is 300 lb/in. If u want to go lower u need more rate.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

hmmm...What about using the ground controls with my Bilstein HDs?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm starting to think YellowToy/A gets a kick-back on selling GC stuff.
And no, lowering a car with HD's is a BAD idea.

To address the original question. There are pics around of guys who have done this. But in the end, think of a car with a Level 1 SLP kit on it. Looks similar, but the nose is just a touch lower, and it handles and rides a lot better. And compared to what you have now.... well, let's just say you'll be quite amazed at the difference some proper shocks make. Aside from being too low, you don't have the damping you need to control the springs and that'll be the case with the Pro-kit or coil-overs.

Fact is coil-overs are nice. They are overkill for the street IMHO given the number of springs (and in the case of the Koni's the shock) that are available that do different things to height. Coil-overs are more costly, and it's insane if you are on a budget to spend and extra $200 on coil-overs if it's going to cost you better dampers. Some folks think they can raise and lower at will. You can, if you have time to change it, because it's not a 5 minute process. And anytime you change you height, your alignment needs redone. Also, if you decide to go a lot lower, you should change spring rates. Just because coil-overs allow you to move the car, doesn't mean the springs on them are right for lowering the car past a certain point.

Anyway, there are folks (a lot of them) who have stock spring with Koni's. Hopefully some will post up. I think it makes the car look right, as in how it should have been from the factory. No more, no less. Clearly you are too low, so that's a step toward knowing you could like the Koni setup very much. And FWIW, if you try it and want to go back to lowering springs, the Koni's can do that and happily so because of the range of damping built in. Just adjust the damping to suit the replacement spring should you decide you need some. But it's very, very rare for folks to call back for springs when they try this first (but it does happen from time to time).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Excellent info, thanks!

Anybody with pics?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking for some pictures as well with stock springs and Koni's
Old 01-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Launching!

I'm using stock springs and Koni SA's with the fronts on the lower perch, along with the rear isolator's removed. The front sits about 3/4" lower, and the rear a little over 1/2". Now, if I wanted to wear 11" rims out back I would probably go for coil-overs and a panhard bar. Not because I want to mess with the height all the time , but I would want that one time perfect ride hieght fix while still being able to get clearance for 315's.

Scott.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't get how you're saying koni shocks and stock springs make the car sit like it should from the factory when shocks don't control ride height at all...please inform me
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1999Z28
i don't get how you're saying koni shocks and stock springs make the car sit like it should from the factory when shocks don't control ride height at all...please inform me
They don't, but they do. A compressed shock will support/offset some of the cars weight away from the spring. You might not notice much of a difference if your using a stiff spring, but on older cars with worn/sagging springs and say a blown shock on the right rear it's pretty obvious they do have an affect on ride height.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Koni's SA's WILL lower the front of the car..... The fronts have an upper (stock height) spring perch and a lower perch. If used, will drop the front approx 3/4". The rear can be lowered by removing the spring isolator's, and replacing it with a smaal piece of 5/8" heater hose wraped around the springs top coil. By eliminating the isolator's the rear drops about 1/2".
Old 01-15-2006, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will say that from someone who used to have a pseudo "1LE" style setup, the Koni's can do a lot, even though I wish I had originally opted for SA's. Nevertheless, I used stock height springs, and went pretty far with them, but then my demands of the vehicle required me to upgrade to motorsport style coil-overs, which is much more cost effective for the track than the street.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres the pics I found when I thought about lowering my koni perch...havent gotten around to doing it myself yet.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Hey that's my car!

The top pic is actually stock springs with DeCarbons.
The second pic is stock springs with Konis on the lower perch. The rear rubber isolator had also been removed and replaced with heater hose.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ah, well I'm glad someone dug up a pic!!!!

Shocks do not set the ride height of a car if the spring perches are all in the same location. All front shocks for the 4th gen *except for* the Koni SA's have the one, stock height spring perch location. Koni's have a secondary, lower perch height. Use it, the perch drops and car gets lower (just like putting in a shorter spring).

The car isn't lowered because the shocks are weak, or anything such as that. Simply because you are lowering the mounting height of the spring.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXAgZ28
Hey that's my car!

The top pic is actually stock springs with DeCarbons.
The second pic is stock springs with Konis on the lower perch. The rear rubber isolator had also been removed and replaced with heater hose.
LOL, I'm just too fast.
I think it looks perfect, I'm just worried about the stock springs bottoming out easier if "Koni lowered" with my duals...cause its the same spring rate, right?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Koni's have internal bumpstops in them and do not allow the car to go any lower compressed than it does right now. Also you are not compressing the springs further. The rate and length are unchanged, you are simply moving the spring relative the shock for the height change.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It bottoms out now (~3.7" clearance on my duals)....but if it wont really bottom out any worse than it already does at decent speeds, then you're motivating me to go ahead and do it soon. Thanks Sam
Old 01-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Launching!

^^My motivator as well...
Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
It bottoms out now (~3.7" clearance on my duals)....but if it wont really bottom out any worse than it already does at decent speeds, then you're motivating me to go ahead and do it soon. Thanks Sam
That's simply a clearance issue caused from ill-fitting parts. Happens a lot, but it's not a suspension problem, it's a matter of your duals not fitting well (and that the car wasn't really meant to ever have duals). 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lb. bag.. which really isnt' the bag's fault.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice