Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

If you are considering a Spohn Torque arm..forget about lowering the car *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, they sorta pissed me off.....Spohn that is.

I emailed their tech support person, told him basically what had happened, I even send the picture that I posted above with just the crossmember installed to ask him if he thinks the straight crossmember would work for me.

I also asked about how to do the swap.

All I got for an answer was the part number, the price and a short note saying "Please call to order, thanks!"

Yeah....no! I am not spending $135.00 for something that might not work. I don't like the "sales only" support they give you.

I am just going to live with it for now. My car wasn't built with the 4x4 suspension of most 99 and up cars, so I'll just save my money and leave it the way it is....after all, the car's stance isn't that bad....is it?

I am saving my money for some AFR 205's

Manny
Old 03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Launching!

you should take it off, and put the stock one back on. from what ive read that u have done to your car you dont need a aftermarket TA. so many people buy them and dont need them. a aftermarket TA is only needed if your pulling the front end up off the ground or really close. i would say 500-550 hp or more u would need it, if your running slicks. street tires woun't hold that power so even then u wouldnt need it .
Old 03-02-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stock one is...uh....well I really don't know where it is. I will be adding heads to the car later on, and while that's still not enough to justify the cost of the torque arm, I prefer having it, just because I know it keeps the stress of the tailshaft of the tranny.

Besides, lowering the car properly is gonna be another expensive can of worms if done right, so I'll just leave it the way it is for now.

Still pissed off about their "support" though!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

call them they are very nice. i talked to steve and he was very helpful
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
The stock one is...uh....well I really don't know where it is. I will be adding heads to the car later on, and while that's still not enough to justify the cost of the torque arm, I prefer having it, just because I know it keeps the stress of the tailshaft of the tranny.

Besides, lowering the car properly is gonna be another expensive can of worms if done right, so I'll just leave it the way it is for now.

Still pissed off about their "support" though!
Your car looks good as is. The front is about an inch higher than mine is now and the back is the same.

Another option is to take the care to a welding fab shop and just ask them to modify it for you. It would be fairly easy to do. I just bought the other cross member because I was positive it would fit and I wouldn't have to fool around finding a fab shop.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

They just emailed me back again, said they didn't see my link....anyhow, they determined that the straight cross member would not fit.

I am just gonna leave it as is. Like I said above, lowering the car is a whole new can of worms, so I'll save my money for some AFRs

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some pics of mine w/o provisions for headers,after 20k miles on hotchkiss springs. As crazy as it sounds though, I liked that piece taking the brunt of bumps for the rest of my car. It got shaved a bit over time, but still straight as an arrow. Now I'm running the bmr piece that relocates the mounting point off of the tailshaft housing. Now that thing is LOW!

Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firebird6786
you should take it off, and put the stock one back on. from what ive read that u have done to your car you dont need a aftermarket TA. so many people buy them and dont need them. a aftermarket TA is only needed if your pulling the front end up off the ground or really close. i would say 500-550 hp or more u would need it, if your running slicks. street tires woun't hold that power so even then u wouldnt need it .
Or you need it if something changes ur rearend geometry, like a 12-bolt.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

No, this torque arm will not work with TSP's True Duals.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by richieg
Here's some pics of mine w/o provisions for headers,after 20k miles on hotchkiss springs. As crazy as it sounds though, I liked that piece taking the brunt of bumps for the rest of my car. It got shaved a bit over time, but still straight as an arrow. Now I'm running the bmr piece that relocates the mounting point off of the tailshaft housing. Now that thing is LOW!

Holy ****....your car must be lowered! I can't imagine what the curved version installed on your car would have looked like!

What brand was that?

Got any pics of the new setup?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hothckiss springs, so just a hair over an inch drop. What you see is the result of several speed bumps at low speeds. Now a big part of that sheering was from a highway mis-hap. I was coming up on a lane merge where the ar right lane was ending. I look over my left shoulder for cars, it's clear so I start my lane change while still looking over my shoulder. BAAMM!! My car lifted up about 4 inches for a half a second, then all seemed well. (roughly 75mph) I later went back to inspect the road and see what I hit. In between the lanes, the asphalt had formed a huge hump in the road. somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-9 inches. The cool part is that sure the cross bar got a bit sheered, but it stayed straight, and no damage was done to the rest of my car. The new bmr piece is lower because it replaces the tranny mount. Go check it out on their website to see what I'm talking about. The lowest point is pretty thin, so it's always cutting grooves in pavement all over the place. I don't have any pics of it, I'll snap some next time I have it in the garage.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here'a a U.M.I. Torque arm on a straight crossmember clearing a Pacesetter 'Y' pipe
on my car which is lowered more then 2 inchs.

Hawk
Old 03-04-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
Here'a a U.M.I. Torque arm on a straight crossmember clearing a Pacesetter 'Y' pipe
on my car which is lowered more then 2 inchs.

Hawk

Yup. Looks just like mine with the straight Spohn piece. Mines not as nice looking as your's though! I also have the Pacesetter Y-pipe and it sits nice and tight up there without banging.

Quick Reply: If you are considering a Spohn Torque arm..forget about lowering the car *pic*