Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm tranny mount or body mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque arm tranny mount or body mount?

Looking into getting a torque arm in the near future. probably gonna get a spohn but what are the benifts of a body mount TA over a tranny mount. I know they pic up more road noise but how much. I need to get one before I do my finish my exhaust so I know I clear whatever I get since I am having a custom Y made. I don't mind a little bit of added road noise as my car isn not my daily driver, but I don't want it to be really annoying if I take that car on some trips. Thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not like the idea of a trans mounted one. I got the spone one with a poly busching that mounted to the tunnel brace. Not alot of added noise. I amde sure that it would not hit.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It really depends on how much power you are planning on.I wouldnt use the tranny mount TQ arm for anything over 400hp.Noise is pretty bad with the tunnel mount but it is worth it if you are planning on a lot of hp.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

A good option is to run a full length adjustable torque arm like this:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/torque%20arm/red-ta.jpg
with a torque arm relocation like this:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc/TCC006.jpg
This combination is not going to be as quiet as stock but will provide good driveability and excellent adjustability without sacrificing ground clearance like a tunnel mount torque arm. If you have any questions regarding our product line please feel free to email me or just give me a call.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
It really depends on how much power you are planning on.I wouldnt use the tranny mount TQ arm for anything over 400hp.Noise is pretty bad with the tunnel mount but it is worth it if you are planning on a lot of hp.

Really my buddy has a 97 GTA that is 700rwhp and he has a tranny mount torque arm and he has no problems hookin up. or anything
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Trans mounted... all the way.

For all the talk of broken tail-shafts... I've never seen it (and really don't recall even hearing internet rumors of it).

The floorpan is thin and not meant for the torque loads, and they can and do tear. It's happened more than once. And noise does increase as you are putting vibrations into the sheet metal of the car. Try sticking your head in a metal garbage can and tapping it..... nice sound chamber....

Every floor mounted arm I can think of binds when cornering (and BTW, so do some tranny mounted arms). The TA is bolted hard to the axle, which stays flat on the ground around corners. The body rolls though, which means you want/need the ability for rotation, so the body and axle move independently.

I have

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam
I thought that the ron-ends where the torque arm mount to the axle flange were to let the axle roll. If that is not the case what are the rod-end for??? I have a Spone one.

When I installed mine the only time I get more noise is if I come in on the wrong side of synchronous during a shift, then there is a bump. But I have the poly bushing.

As for the floor, I would think that the brakets might tear off, but the floor is doubled there. I would not think that it would tear. I have never seen it so I would not know.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

A rod end solves the bind issue. But few of the arms use rod-ends. And rod-ends will make noise as well as they wear.

The bump is a vibration coming through the body.

The mounts to the body don't break... the floorpan can tear just from the unintended torque forces being put through it. Had one car that had 4 tears in the floorpan. One of those in the trans-tunnel was 7" long and got to within about 2" of the hole for the shifter.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Do me a favor. Get under your car, and look where a floor mounted torque arm would be bolted. Ask yourself how good of an idea it is when you see how thin the metal is.

The people that have had broken tailshafts have usually had it happen on the dyno, and were running a steel driveshaft, and it happened after they let off on the gas after a run.

As for me, I'll keep my LG torque arm. It was expensive, but it really does work well, and I don't have to worry about messing up the adjustment on it.

Quick Reply: Torque arm tranny mount or body mount?