Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Custom X-Member for Torque Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom X-Member for Torque Arms

I bought a UMI chassis mounted TA for my Camaro and I now have a problem. My exhaust is 100% handmade, and the x-member that comes with the kit doesn't clear it. The exhaust itself tucks up very nicely, better than most off the shelf kits I've seen, and it's 4" no less. Anyways, the problem is that the exhaust is shifted too far to the passengers side to clear the detent in the x-member.

I don't want to run a tranny mounted TA, and I don't want to have to buy a new TA, then buy a seperate relocation kit for it, so I'm looking at some sort of custom(ized) crossmember. What are my options from here?

I'm tempted to tack weld the mounting plates down to a peice of metal (to lock them in place) then use a chop saw and box tubing to shift the detent over. The only thing is I'm scared this method might yield a crossmember that's not 100% square, and I'll have suspension problems. Do UMI or similar places offer customized x-members if you supply them with dimensions and/or a wire mockup of how it should be? I would think their jig would yield much more accurate results. The reason I ask here is because I haven't been able to get a hold of UMI.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Why not just have your exhaust shop re-route it a bit in order to clear?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

becase I put so much effort into making sure my exhaust cleared perfectly that it's not even funny. I really don't want to have to do it all over again.

Quick Reply: Custom X-Member for Torque Arms