Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano/Koni - I'm a believer

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to agree. I got Koni's from Sam last year and it really improved the handling. I got his front swaybar this year. Now my car really sticks on the road, so much more than I could have imagined even! I have to recommend to anyone who loves cornering, get shocks first!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting all wet reading this thread. Just ordered the Koni's, swaybars, springs, and panhard from Sam. OHHH the anticipation!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting all wet reading this thread. Just ordered the Koni's, swaybars, springs, and panhard from Sam. OHHH the anticipation!!!!!
Same here just not Panhard. Hee Hee I'm as excited as a little school girl!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strano Sways/Koni SA are reat, cant wait for his springs. AutoX is fun
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several years ago, SLP was selling Bilsteins that were supposed to be valved for use with lowering springs. At the time, I was using Eibach springs with the OE DeCarbon shocks. I bought a set of the Bilsteins, and have been pretty well pleased with their performance.

Are the Konis better? I don't know, however I'm not going to spend the $$$ to do a personal comparison.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

See bshell's post, #19 back on page 2.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Several years ago, SLP was selling Bilsteins that were supposed to be valved for use with lowering springs. At the time, I was using Eibach springs with the OE DeCarbon shocks. I bought a set of the Bilsteins, and have been pretty well pleased with their performance.

Are the Konis better? I don't know, however I'm not going to spend the $$$ to do a personal comparison.
They are "valved" for SLP's lowering springs, which are not as low or as stiff as most any other lowering spring you are going to get. They are not for *any* spring, just their springs. Also, they are still tuned on the softer side, more ride than control oriented. Note the rears are regular HD's, the fronts have more rebound damping (good), but also less compression damping (not so good) IMHO.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-24-2006, 05:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
They are "valved" for SLP's lowering springs, which are not as low or as stiff as most any other lowering spring you are going to get. They are not for *any* spring, just their springs. Also, they are still tuned on the softer side, more ride than control oriented. Note the rears are regular HD's, the fronts have more rebound damping (good), but also less compression damping (not so good) IMHO.
Thanks for the input! As I live in the Rochester, NY area, the "Pothole Capitol of the World", ride comfort is a little higher on the priority list that ultimate cornering power. I truly wish that wasn't the case, as I like a car that corners like it's on rails, but I have to live with the car and local roads on a daily basis.

I will say that the Bilsteins ride a lot better than the DeCarbons did. While I was more tolerant of "hard" suspension set-ups years ago, my "middle-aged" buns just don't care for them as much. Also, the roads have gotten worse over the years, so it's a two sided situation. Just as an example, I've used Energy Suspension poly bushings in most of my cars for at least 20 years. However, as tire profiles have gone lower, stiffer sidewalled "z" speed rated tires have become the norm, and the roads here have deterioriated, I don't use poly bushings anymore. Too much road harshness and pothole impact is transmitted to the car. I had poly bushings in my '96 Z-28 for one summer and then took them out...
Old 05-27-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Just one more thing you'll probably want to look into, lower control arm relocation brackets to level out the lower control arms.

Quick Reply: Strano/Koni - I'm a believer