Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock install = hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shock install = hell

who woulda thought the shock install on a trans am would be such a bitch, kinda fun tho.. lol. anyway yeah, so i had a full set of bilstein shocks sitting in my garage for 2 weeks now and i finally had a day off to go do them. i go to start the install at 1, and its 5 now and i just had to stop. so i start off trying to take off the stupid spindle arm thing from the upper control arm, what a bitch that was because i was putting my breaker bar in teh wrong place (on the bolt and not in between the clamp) i finally got that off and started compessing the springs. i got the passenger side off no problem except the bolt connecting the shock to the top housing thing is rusted to pieces!!! no remote resemblance to a nut and bolt! so now i figure if i tap it and drill it out (while the spring is compressed) i can just replace it.. sorry about the rant, btu im dead right now.. and i still have to do the backs! btw im 17 and this would be my first shock install, not bad eh? i cant wait to drive it and see the differance, my ride now is absolute hell!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rears are easier much easier , u know what is a real bitch ,, it is the rubber up there AHH THE FU@$# struts mount , i damaged it 2 times because am over compressing the springs !! and i didnt realized until i took the jack and the car is down ! it is leaning to one side .. then i had to do it again !! just to replace the fu@# ( the mount ) ..

goodluck ,
Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

you driving an LT1? I know they use up strut mounts like every month...
Old 02-04-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Second Club

hey dont feel too bad when i did my springs (first time ever) i had to take the front passenger apart 4 times tracking down a clunk.................turns out the shop that i had pull the top bolt out of the strut didnt tighten back down on my strut all the way so yeah its going to be 5 times very soon
Old 02-04-2006, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

I swore I'd never do another spring and shock install after I got done.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damm you guys had some rotten luck. My worst snafu was that I put the strut in the wrong direction so the bottom mouting bolts were at the wrong angle. I was like no biggie just spin it in the bushing until it lines up with a large screwdriver. That thing would not budge for $hit and snapped my screwdriver like it was a twig.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69TA
Damm you guys had some rotten luck. My worst snafu was that I put the strut in the wrong direction so the bottom mouting bolts were at the wrong angle. I was like no biggie just spin it in the bushing until it lines up with a large screwdriver. That thing would not budge for $hit and snapped my screwdriver like it was a twig.
I did the same thing and had to remove the spring and recompress it. That spring job could have been a heck of a lot easier if I had used my impact wrench to tighten the spring compresser bolts, but instead I just used a hand wrench.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How the hell did you even get it done with a hand wrench? Not to mention dangerous. I just barely had enough time with my air impact driver before the spring compressor buckled out.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

How the hell did you even get it done with a hand wrench? Not to mention dangerous. I just barely had enough time with my air impact driver before the spring compressor buckled out.
Yeah I don't use the spring compressors anymore I had one one rip the threads off the rod and the bolt shot through the wall on my garage. The spring shot back and put a huge dent in my Father-In-Laws snapon tool box. Now I use the hydraulic spring compressors.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

It wasn't easy I tell ya.

I was oblivious to the danger, ignorance is bliss. I had these cheap *** spring compressers too. I'll do it differently next time, but I definitely hate spring compressers.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Yeah I don't use the spring compressors anymore I had one one rip the threads off the rod and the bolt shot through the wall on my garage. The spring shot back and put a huge dent in my Father-In-Laws snapon tool box. Now I use the hydraulic spring compressors.
I never heard of hydraulic spring compressers. Where can you get them?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Predator
I swore I'd never do another spring and shock install after I got done.
That was the first words outta my mouth when I got done...ended up having to put Koni's on the front a week later.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
That was the first words outta my mouth when I got done...ended up having to put Koni's on the front a week later.
At least the second time you had more experience under your belt. As far as me, I haven't touched my shocks since.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

At least the second time you had more experience under your belt. As far as me, I haven't touched my shocks since.
Second time I also had a lift, air tools, and a wall mounted compressor. It was MUCH! easier
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

I never heard of hydraulic spring compressers. Where can you get them?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45860

If the link doesn't work just go to harbor freight and search "Hydraulic spring compressors"

I've done two of my cars, and I charged 3 friends about a hundred bones to do theirs. Its payed for itself and got me an extra hundred bucks.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Second time I also had a lift, air tools, and a wall mounted compressor. It was MUCH! easier
Much nicer setup! No substitute for the right tools.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had to do it by hand 3 times, all on trucks though. Definately not fun, and it takes forever.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CashMoney
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45860

If the link doesn't work just go to harbor freight and search "Hydraulic spring compressors"

I've done two of my cars, and I charged 3 friends about a hundred bones to do theirs. Its payed for itself and got me an extra hundred bucks.
Wow, that's awesome! Money well spent. Thanks for the link. For what it does, the $129. bucks is well worth it. When I change shocks again, I'm definitely getting one of those. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I did my first front spring replacement a couple of weeks ago. I had watched others do it before (on my vehicle) but that was about the extent of it.

I was horribly paranoid on the first assembly I removed (front passenger). I think it took me 4 hours just to get the thing out of the fenderwell. Upper shock mount was rusted to the shock pin. Soaked it in PB Blaster, blasted it off with a impact, used a die on the pin threads, and put on two locking nuts instead of one. I used anti-seize in the immediate vicinity of the shock pin and nuts, then spray undercoating on other parts to try to minimize future corrosion. Oh yeah, and I had to do some serious grinding on my Koni DA hat to get the Ground Control sleeve to go on. I used a pair of adjustable wrenches to tighten the spring compressor because I didn't have a big enough socket for the compressor nuts.

The driver side I had removed (w/o messing with the master), re-assembled, and re-installed in about 90 minutes. Same problems as above but I just knew how to knock it out. Unless I change shocks, I'll never need a spring compressor again with the adjustable coilovers, though

Oh, that reminds me, I need new upper balljoints because one seal is shredded. I'd rather do a front shock/spring swap than swap lifters.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

When I change shocks again, I'm definitely getting one of those. Thanks.
Straight up

Quick Reply: shock install = hell