Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn TA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spohn TA?

I am not at all experienced with TA so please bare with me. I saw where the Spohn unit is a crossmember mount. Is this better than the factory mount? are there any disadvantages to this? Secondly, i see wheere they make it with a DS safety loop, will this work with LT and aftermarket Y pipes? third, how is teh structural rigidity of the Spohn unit? i have an M6 and eventually will be putting around 450-500 at the rear wheels with occasional weekend drag trips but mostly a daily driver. thanks!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The tunnel brace mounted torque arms remove the torque arm mount off the transmission tail shaft. This area is some cases (more on a M6 the Auto) is known to fail under stress, the tail shaft can actually break. We usually see this on a vehicle running 10.5 seconds or faster in the 1/4 and launching on slicks, we have also seen it fail under street driving, but this gives you a good idea when to look for it. The main idea of the torque arm is to remove it from the transmision, it then mounts to its own crossmember that is bolted directly to the floor, the shorter torque arm also reduces front end nose dive during braking.

There is different set-ups to fit different exhaust systems. Our set-up will clear with almost all LT set-ups out there, the front loop will also clear too. If you visit the link below you will find some more information, If I can help any please ask.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2202.aspx

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 02-04-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The tunnel brace mounted torque arms remove the torque arm mount off the transmission tail shaft. This area is some cases (more on a M6 the Auto) is known to fail under stress, the tail shaft can actually break. We usually see this on a vehicle running 10.5 seconds or faster in the 1/4 and launching on slicks, we have also seen it fail under street driving, but this gives you a good idea when to look for it. The main idea of the torque arm is to remove it from the transmision, it then mounts to its own crossmember that is bolted directly to the floor, the shorter torque arm also reduces front end nose dive during braking.

There is different set-ups to fit different exhaust systems. Our set-up will clear with almost all LT set-ups out there, the front loop will also clear too. If you visit the link below you will find some more information, If I can help any please ask.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2202.aspx

Thanks!
Ryan
Im kind of confused, are you saying that the tunnel brace mounted torque arms tend to fail under stress and crack the tailshaft? basically im askin which is better, the transmission or the tunnel brace mount? thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
Im kind of confused, are you saying that the tunnel brace mounted torque arms tend to fail under stress and crack the tailshaft? basically im askin which is better, the transmission or the tunnel brace mount? thanks
Hello,

Sorry for the confusion, what I was trying to say is the stock type torque arm mounts to the transmission tail shaft. When running a torque arm similar to this it could cause damage to the tail shaft under certain circumstances like I mention above. The reason the tunnel brace mounted torque arm like I have posted in the link was designed was to take the torque arm off the transmission and mount it into a different location. This then takes the stress off the transmission and protects the tail shaft from damage.

Does that help? Thanks!
Ryan
Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Sorry for the confusion, what I was trying to say is the stock type torque arm mounts to the transmission tail shaft. When running a torque arm similar to this it could cause damage to the tail shaft under certain circumstances like I mention above. The reason the tunnel brace mounted torque arm like I have posted in the link was designed was to take the torque arm off the transmission and mount it into a different location. This then takes the stress off the transmission and protects the tail shaft from damage.

Does that help? Thanks!
Ryan
ya thanks ryan that helped me out a lot
Old 02-04-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TA your talking about and yes they make one to clear LT headers, thats actually one of the questions they ask you when you buy it. I like mine very good craftsmanship. Havent driven with it yet, i bought the adjustable one also. Im still puttin in the new engine so i cant tell ya what kind of difference it made sorry.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the spohn unit and relatively happy with it. its a little noisy for a DD but then they all went away after a month. helped traction a little... the thing is just straight up beffy and dworfs the stocker. advise that you put headers on then have someone fab. a custom y to fit through and around the DS loop area

Quick Reply: Spohn TA?