Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best sway bars?

I want to replace the stock sway bars on my Ws6 because it seems to float around corners. Right now my suspension set up consists of Koni SA and LG G2 super springs. What sway bars would be best with this combo. I dont do much auto cross eventhough I have in the past once or twice and I may 1/4 mile race once a month in the summer. I want to increase the performance over stock so please help me out.

Last edited by 02SOMLS1WS6; 02-05-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Surely you guys have opinions on how your sway bars feel? I know it is one of those **** questions that has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for in a search. I may call Sam up to get his opinion and how he feels about his sway bars compared to other brands, but I wanted to get some facts from those of you with aftermarket sway bars. I am really interested in hearing from everyone but specifically those with the same suspensions set up as me. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

35 f/22 r from Sam Strano. If you have more cash laying around Hotchkis has a 36.5mm front and Spohn has a 22mm rear (which are the ones I run).
Old 02-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Launching!

So you want to increase performance over stock? For the track a big bar up front will do you no favours.... having said that, G2 springs won't help, For handling, yes... Hotchkis makes a nice front bar, it's a lot of $$$ due to powdercoating, a lot of bling for part you won't see. I don't like the idea of their 25mm rear, let alone combined with G2 rear spring rates. Sam's 35/22 combo is of good quality and great bang for your buck. I recommend you call Sam and see what will work best with what you have right now. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He does not have to buy the set from Hotchkis (36.5 front-25 rear). He can only get the Hotchkis front and get the rear elsewhere (thats what I did). And from what he described, performance means handling. If he goes to the 1/4 mile track he can take the big front bar off.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

I am happy with my BMR sways front and back. FWIW.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply's guys! My track results aren't my number one priorty, besides I can keep throwing hp at it until its as fast I like Its more of a priorty that the car is fun to drive and looks good. Right now the cars feels a bit like a boat. Feels like it has a lot more sway in it since I lowered it. I read that you get this more when you lower the car, why is that?

I was looking into the spohn sways or sams. What do you think about these? I will look into the hotchkis but I dont want to put a real large rear bar on because it will want to make the car oversteer right? Rear end come around easier right?
Old 02-06-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

I have Sam's and LOVE THEM!!!!!!! If I had know what sort of difference this made, I would have done it before every other mod. Give sam a call and ask him what he thinks. He'll give you an honest answer.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I had BMRs front and back and it made a big difference in cornering.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow, what a lack of detail.

You have a WS6, right? Seems so given your screen name.

You already have a 32mm front bar, so those that have BMR's (or other 32mm bars) aren't telling you what will help you, just what they have. Taking your hollow 32 off and putting on a solid 32 is just adding weight. And FWIW, that goes for other 32mm bars too, from Spohn, Addco, LG and so on. So, if you want to upgrade you have to go bigger.

As for the rear. There are 3 options. Stay stock. A 21/22 type bar or a 25mm bar. I prefer a "moderate" bar, but only when it's teamed up with a large front. A 32/21 or 22 combination is IMO too rear biased. As are "large" bars at both ends. The car needs a lot more front bar than it does rear.

Sure lots of folks have different setups and like them. But someone always likes something, and they often give that opinion based only on their base of knowledge. Note those that has BMR bars like BMR bars. Those that have mine like mine and so on. Do yourself a favor and figure out what bars do, and why each company does what they do. I'm happy to tell anyone my reasoning (just not online, because it's not a 2 minute typing job). Just call.

And FWIW, if you'd want to do what James did and use a Hotchkis front and my rear (or Hotchkis, ST, Addco sets), I sell them all. The stiffness of a Hotchkis front and my front are very close (I use a smaller diameter tube, but make back a lot of stiffness by way of less bar length).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-06-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the lack of detail but there isn't much detail to add, its all in my sig and previous posts on this topic.

Now on to trying to educate myself a bit on this...why do cars seem to sway more after they have been lowered? Mine doesn't feel bad just seems to sway more than it did at stock height. Why does this occur?

Sam I understand it would take you all day to type what you know about suspension setups on these cars so I will give you a call, like I did when I bought my shocks from you. I would love to get some books and read about suspension design since I am an engineer and really get into design reasoning, but finding the time is the tough part. I take everything with a grain of salt that I read on forums but it doesn't hurt to try and get information from your peers. I am not just going to go out and buy something until I am sure its what I want from either research or reputable information. It doesn't hurt for me to hear from the common F-body owner though.

If other people still want to chime in thats cool too.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know what is so bad about my BMR swaybars, compared to my friends' setups my car handles just fine.

As far as suspension from what I have seen and done from personal experience it seems that you can either go with a "lighter" spring and stiffer swaybars or a "heavy" spring and lighter swaybars. That seems to be the fad anyway, as well as what I have gone by when setting my car up.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

So is Hotchkis the Creme of the Crop of sway bars ???
I thought Sam Strano was.

Now, Is it best to go with a 36.5mm front and a 22 rear for good handling ???
Or would the 35mm Strano be enough ?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ~ever~
So is Hotchkis the Creme of the Crop of sway bars ???
I thought Sam Strano was.

Now, Is it best to go with a 36.5mm front and a 22 rear for good handling ???
Or would the 35mm Strano be enough ?
A Hotchks front and say.. Sam's hollow 22mm rear would be great. I'm not convinced Sam's 35mm front is any less effective than Hotchkis. Hotchkis makes a pretty looking bar... Sam's bar get's the job done for less $.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The lack of detail isn't in just in the question, but in the responses. So many folks say "I have ___ and they are great". Ok, fine, but frankly anything you put on is likely better than stock. Why is it fine? How do you know you wouldn't like more bar on one of both ends? If you haven't tried, or had someone run reasoning based in testing by you, you can't know.

What's so bad about the 32/21 bars? Nothing bad.... just nowhere near as good as the set could be IMO.

If you want solid answers, I encourage you to pick up the phone. I'm not going to bad-mouth the quality of any of the products mentioned. I don't have to. I'm simply going to explain why we do what we do. Then you can have some solid information to go on and make your decision with.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let me add this... and it might not sound great, but it's true.

You don't know who you are talking to (in general) on the net, or what they know. Further, setting up a dynamic thing like a suspension is not best done by such a black and white form of communication. I can't do it, and I have a pretty good track record with customers and setting up good handling cars..... FWIW.

The net is good for gathering ideas, nothing else. And I *HIGHLY* recommend reading between the lines when folks do say "I have ___ and it's great". See what they have on the car, see what they DON'T have on the car. Ask them what else they've tried.

I know that finding time to call can be hard. However folks seem to find plenty of time to type and cruise forums all day. If you don't want to call, I can't make you. I'm simply saying that anything else is like e-mailing your doctor and trying to get a diagnosis if you don't feel well.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the larger stock bars (SS 'vert) and the Strano set
gave a significantly flatter cornering attitude and a more
predictable feel. I'm surprised that lowering made your car
feel less controlled, the roll center is now lower and the
roll torque should be lessened. But maybe it has to do
with the springs / shocks, especially transient maneuvers.
At any rate (heh) more bar, more shock, less wallow. No
experience here with other F-body options but what I've
got drives nice.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Man, I just checked the Hotchkis website and the set of Sways goes for $531!!!!

Crazy!!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As much as I'd like to tell you price was the driving factor for us having our own bars built.... it wasn't. I knew that if I did it, that above all they've have to be the specs I wanted and hollow both. If the price could be held down, all the better.

It was about the sizing of the bars more than anything, and that I feel a 25mm is too large a rear bar, and that 32's are too small in the front. That was what drove my decision to have bars made for me.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
As much as I'd like to tell you price was the driving factor for us having our own bars built.... it wasn't. I knew that if I did it, that above all they've have to be the specs I wanted and hollow both. If the price could be held down, all the better.

It was about the sizing of the bars more than anything, and that I feel a 25mm is too large a rear bar, and that 32's are too small in the front. That was what drove my decision to have bars made for me.

Sam, are your bars painted or powercoated ??? and what color ?

if anyone has pictures, please post them, I want to see what they look like....

Quick Reply: Best sway bars?