Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

STB can you tell a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default STB can you tell a difference?

Im curious, for those of you who have bought a STB, can you tell a difference in the way the car feels or handles? Is it worth it to buy it, or should I spend money else where.
(yes I searched this)
Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i could tell. you can pickt them up for around $60 so its not to much. for $60, its definately worth it. looks good in the bay too.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on what you plan to do with the car....it's really unnecessary for drag racing. If you're a roundy-round corner carver, then yes it's helpful.

I'm just a straightline guy, but I do have an STB on my 'bird. There's a small noticeable difference especially when taking curves, but it's nothing dramatic.

It makes a nice visual piece for car shows, etc. I took advantage of the space and did a little bit of self-promotion on mine

Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't use one on my CMC road race car. It's worthless weight on the nose, IMHO.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The main benefit I noticed is in very sharp / abrupt
cornering where it suppressed some sustained shake
in the nose. I don't know that it cuts any gross flex,
but it did make an annoying low frequency shake go
away ("woggle-woggle-woggle" => "woggle"). I tend
to think of it as more of a damper, than a structural
piece. Certainly the Hotchkiss I have is not that stout
(but it is the purtiest and the least obstruction / easy
R&R).

I suspect road racers try to take corners maximally
smoothly, and it's us neighborhood fishtailing yahoos
who see the most benefit.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, it made a small difference. It lessened some small vibrations, and made it feel stiff going up driveways. But, it doesn't make any noticable difference in the handling on the road or reduction in lap times. But it does make it easy to grab onto when climing into the engine bay.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Its worthwhile. Like mentioned above, it takes away vibrations in hard cornering. I got mine for 65 bucks, cant beat it.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's cornering you're trying to improve, then replace your front stabiliser bar with a larger one. Not only is the front end of the 4th Gen Camaro a SLA suspension, and not a MacPherson strut suspension, but it also is triangulated from the factory from the front end. If looks are what you're looking for and you need something to rest your arm on when you reach into the engine bay, get one, otherwise the small amount of money should be put towards a sway bar.

I RR with mine and when I discovered that the STB didn't change my performance for the better, off it went. Also the heavy vibrations in the cornering went away after I had replaced the shocks with better vavling to suit my springs.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

I had an STB on my car up until last month or so when I decided to run my car without it for a while. After running my car for over a year with it on, then taking it on a few turns with the STB off, I honestly couldn't tell a difference. I could however hear more creaks with the STB on when I would go on uneven ground, like driving down an inclined parking lot with one wheel on the inclined ground and one on the even. Not tangible evidence by any means, but it was enough to convince me to take it off my car. Saved about 5 pounds off the front.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foxxton
If it's cornering you're trying to improve, then replace your front stabiliser bar with a larger one. Not only is the front end of the 4th Gen Camaro a SLA suspension, and not a MacPherson strut suspension, but it also is triangulated from the factory from the front end. If looks are what you're looking for and you need something to rest your arm on when you reach into the engine bay, get one, otherwise the small amount of money should be put towards a sway bar.

I RR with mine and when I discovered that the STB didn't change my performance for the better, off it went. Also the heavy vibrations in the cornering went away after I had replaced the shocks with better vavling to suit my springs.
Ferris, you are my hero
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, I could tell a difference. Was it worth it? I only paid like $40 or something for a used bmr here on Tech, basically in new condition. So yes, I think so.

Quick Reply: STB can you tell a difference?