Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tokico Illuminia Adj. shocks????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tokico Illuminia Adj. shocks????

Has anyone tried these shocks? How are they compared to KYB or Koni? Im about to lower my car, may as well change shocks too.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Excuse the following, it's not meant to be yelling, more... making a point.

Tokico does NOT MAKE Illumina's for the front of the 4th gen. Please pass this along. And FWIW, the rears aren't impressive either. I had a set once upon a time, and let's just say I didn't own them long.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Tokico's on my car and I love them.Started out with the stock Decarbon's,tried Bilstein H-D's,rode worse than the Decarbon's in MY opinion.Tried the Tokico's and I love them.To each his own.All shocks do not ride the same on all cars.Don't ever let anyone tell you they do.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, like you said to each his own. I think Bilstein's are far superior to deCarbon's. Firm? Yes. Harsh? WAY less than the stockers. I feel Tokico's are a bit weaker than I prefer in rebound (but I feel the same for my personal tastes about HD's). Bilstein's are much better quality. I don't warranty them, I have to warranty more than a couple Tokico's each year.

And you are 100% right about shocks not riding the same on all cars. Tokico's on Jap stuff, and even Mustangs are much better IMHO than they are for Camaro's. But there are holes in your statement. Don't know what springs you are on. What tires, pressures, and so on. All things that cause changes and can make one shock better suited than another (along with personal tastes). I'm sure Cadillac owners feel their cars ride better than BMW owners....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Wasn't being an *** or anything,I have been playing this game a long time and, as I am sure many of us have,through trial and error I have found what works for ME.As far as what you asked I have 1LE springs f/r on a 2001 SS.I run my tire pressure at 30,this is a occasional daily driver and play car.I have BMR rear upper/lower ca's, adjustable panhard,Bmr torque arm,hotchkiss sway bars f/r w/poly bushings.Hell, I can't remember what else,you see where I am going with this.If someone needs their *** kicked real good,I go get the GN.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info, Sam..
Old 02-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Launching!

i have the tokikos and i feel they are a very good strut/shock...my car otherwise has a stock suspension right down to the old worn out springs atm...soon to change

Quick Reply: Tokico Illuminia Adj. shocks????