Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone Think Traction Controll Option Is Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS and TCS are both nice to have. TCS can be turned off at anytime... it's easier than changing the volume. Both make daily drivers more safe in inclimate weather. I've made it just fine without either on other cars, but its nice to have it just in case. Especially with so much time and money invested in one car, would hate to have an accident in a situation where TCS or ABS would have helped you avoid it. **** happens either way though.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned how to drive a V8 powerd RWD car on my old 94 Z28. Thing didn't have TCS or ABS (had it but it didn't work, haha). Drove through ice, snow, rain, sun and never had one problem. Just gotta learn to take it easy...
Old 02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dduncan
would hate to have an accident in a situation where TCS or ABS would have helped you avoid it. **** happens either way though.

I'm more concerned about it causing the accident.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I'm baffled. How do you envision traction control
causing an accident? Other than, refusing to accelerate
you out of harm's way any faster than a family sedan?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Now I'm baffled. How do you envision traction control
causing an accident? Other than, refusing to accelerate
you out of harm's way any faster than a family sedan?
Several ways.

Have you ever gone into a corner hot, had the back end start to come around hard and lifted off the throttle? Once the power comes off and the rear stops sliding (once you quit powering the tires loose), it will catch. If you are doing say 45 mph at a 45 degree angle, it will catch the car and "throw" it. Usually, this starts an oscillation (it snaps to oversteer in the other direction) and usually results in an eventual spin. I have done exactly this many years ago in a car (when I didn't know to drive through a slide). I got sideways, lifted, the car hooked, it snapped the other way and I went "off". The TCS can set up the same reaction.

Also, a friend here in town bought his car new. It had TCS and was a 6 speed. He "launched" it across 3 busy lanes of traffic (again, brand new car to him). The tires spun, TCS almost killed the engine (in some cases it will, ask guys who have tried a burnout with it on in an M6 car), but not before he was out in the middle of the street. He managed not to get hit, but it was very close.

I think the system is crude, slow to react, and I won't use it. I've not found anything that I can't get out of with my foot/clutch/steering wheel that TCS would have done a better job of "saving". If it works for you guys, that's great. I think the entire system is a POS and my personal choice is to avoid using it like the plague.

Your results may vary.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive toyed with the idea of trying one of thoes aftermarket traction control systems, but figured I could better spend the money else where. Although im still curious about it.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like having it for inclement weather. It also helps if there is sand or junk on the road at night that you might not see. Easy to turn off for spirited driving.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
The TCS can set up the same reaction.
It absolutely does. thankfully it has only ever been a buzz kill for me on short trips where i forget to turn it off. I can remember *other instances where having the tcs on would have been much more problematic

Originally Posted by trackbird

I think the system is crude, slow to react, and I won't use it. I've not found anything that I can't get out of with my foot/clutch/steering wheel that TCS would have done a better job of "saving". If it works for you guys, that's great. I think the entire system is a POS and my personal choice is to avoid using it like the plague.
it doesnt get any more true than this
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm pretty sure... that ABS and TCS prevent more accidents in normal every day driving than they have caused. Sounds like my grand dad saying that a seat belt choked some guy one time so he won't wear one. I mean yeah thats true but look at all the people they have saved.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dduncan
Well I'm pretty sure... that ABS and TCS prevent more accidents in normal every day driving than they have caused. Sounds like my grand dad saying that a seat belt choked some guy one time so he won't wear one. I mean yeah thats true but look at all the people they have saved.

It's possible. But a seatbelt isn't a complex mechanisim that "takes over" the vehicle and changes the characteristics of said vehicle. As I stated, if it works for you, use it. My personal opinion is that it's "crap", but your results may vary. You don't have to not use it just because I don't like it, I can't tell you that. He asked for opinions, I gave mine. We don't have to agree, I can agree to disagree with someone.

My experience is that if you don't drive too aggressively (I'll refrain from saying "drive like a complete moron") on the street, you'll likely never need it (rain, snow and all).

Mine did get me pulling across traffic one day (when the car was somewhat new). I got some tirespin in gravel, it killed the throttle and felt like it took "forever" to get moving. I'd have much rather spun the tires across the street than be a sitting duck. However (unlike my friend), I left plenty of room and it wasn't such an issue. But, I felt that I'd had my warning from the TCS that it would eventually do something bad to me.

We have TCS on our VW GTI, I also had it on my last VW GTI (a 2004 and a 2000) and on our 2000 Jetta. That system is non intrusive, works well, is intellegent and just feathers the throttle to allow some tire spin (some, not tons), but it won't kill the car and take 2 seconds to decide to get moving again. Maybe I'm spoiled because I've seen and driven TCS systems that actually work properly and don't attempt to get you killed. I don't feel that the F-body has one of those systems (and yes, I leave the TCS "on" when driving the VW's, I rarely know it's working other than a blinking light on the dash).

Maybe that's why I dislike this system. I know what it's like to drive a car with a good version of it (and this is not it).
Old 02-16-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

as a DD its nice having ASR.
I keep it off all summer, spring and fall. Only turn it on during heavy rain or sleet.

When accelerating from a dead stop in shitty weather I leave it off or I dont go anywhere but once I am moving I turn it on, so If the *** end kicks out surprisingly the cars straightens out.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what does asr stand for?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SLP makes a little adapter to tune out the traction control without pushing the button, it just makes it so you have to push the button to turn it on. That way it's not a problem at the strip, or you don't floor it and force traction control on. I can't remember the name of the product, but I know they make it.

I would say Traction Control is definitley worth it, when I get an LS1 I hope my car comes with Traction Control... espically being in South Dakota. But I probably will buy that little box, so I don't have to worry about turning it off. Only turning it on when it's needed.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RAIDER
what does asr stand for?
accel. slip regulation
Old 02-16-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
accel. slip regulation
exactly!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think traction control is a excellent thing to have, especially after today.

I was driving around and I had turned my traction control off and forgot that I did, well I was at a light and it turns green and the person in front of me just sat there, literally for about 10 seconds..(4 or 5 cars went passed us) so I was like WTF?? So I signal and start to pull around them and well the light turns yellow as I start to go around so I was like ****, so I gave the car a little gas and before I know it my car was fishtailing and by the time I let up my car was starting to spin around into the other lane. Somehow I managed to get it straight again..don't even ask how, as I couldnt belive I did get it straight again, but I thought it was over and that I was going to go up and over the median sideways, or worse yet hit someone when that happend.

Keep in mind this was on a dry road and I didnt give it that much gas, but apparently the cement was cold enough that my damn winter tires didnt grip worth crap...I had my radio on loud so I didnt even hear the tires spinning or the engine rev up really fast, If my traction control would have been on none of that would have happend....even if you do drive carefully, sometimes unexpected things can happen so traction control is definately worth it, !!!

Last edited by YoungGunLs1; 02-17-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

TCS, ASR or whatever you want to call it is great in theory, but the way it works in these cars is not so great. If you really want to know whether the car works better with or without it, try two autoX runs on a rainy day, one with it on and the other with it off, as I did. You will find out the car is faster and easier to control with the ASR turned off. I removed the system from my car and lost a significant amount of weight off the car. A lighter car will stop better, accelerate faster, corner better, and use less fuel.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the difference is, when you're autocrossing, road racing
or just plain fooling around with the intention of spinning the
tires, or in the state of mind that's attuned and prepared for
it, the F-body TCS is a jerk-around and a detractor. But when
you are not paying attention or the unexpected happens
just as you're raising the Big Gulp to your mouth, it's the TCS
that is going to react in time to keep you straight. It's a
safety add-on, not for performance. Just like ABS will not
outperform someone skilled at threshold braking in a well
set up car. But the roads are full of people, and cars, that
are neither. And surprises. We all like to think we're ready.
But circumstances are what put it to the test.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to have, with this high torquing cars, if you don't know how to drive them, TCS can help you save thread on your tires. In rain I believe is very important to have. Spinning at a stop light just in normal drving is not uncommon with theese cars.

Besides, if you don't like it, turn it off.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

When turning TCS off, Does it come on by itself at WOT?

I know with my Brother's GTP when he turns it off and guns it it will automatically come back on, was just wondering if it's the same setup for Trans Ams?