Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

show me your big brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, here's a really bad picture of my brakes (taken with a camera phone, sorry about the quality). They are filthy in this picture (it's at an autocross event on 17x11's) and I've turned the rotors purple from the heat (so they are hard to see, they show up much better when they are shiny and haven't been abused like this). This kit has never let me down, even when turning the rotors the color you see here (and it looks great when it's clean ). I can tell you that the Precision Brakes kit will handle heat, and lots of it.

Attached Thumbnails show me your big brakes!!-att00037.jpg  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:37 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with stock stuff from P-Car. Pads are PAGID RS44.
Front

Back
Old 02-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VictorT
No problem, I would be happy to explain this since it is something that many people wonder about when buying a new brake system. And I too do not wish to offend anyone by going off topic... My Apologies!!!

The great thing about a 2 piece rotor system is that you need only replace the rotor its self. I generally see the rotors go for around $220 each, the pads for around the 100 dollar mark depending on which compound you would like, and I have yet to see anyone have to replace the calipers, but you can generally rebuild one for around 35 bucks give or take. I hope this helps, but let me know if you would like more info,

Regards
Helps alot. That's exactly what I was wondering. So the pads are about the same as I've been paying for stock race-type pads, actually a little less (KFP gold's usually under $140) but the rotors are significantly more. This leads to another question though, with the better thermal properties of these rotors, do they last longer? I won't ask how much longer because there are just too many variables, but in general, would they last longer?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trackbird
Me? I didn't get anything (or was it another Kevin?).
it was me
Old 02-19-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXP Lover
Helps alot. That's exactly what I was wondering. So the pads are about the same as I've been paying for stock race-type pads, actually a little less (KFP gold's usually under $140) but the rotors are significantly more. This leads to another question though, with the better thermal properties of these rotors, do they last longer? I won't ask how much longer because there are just too many variables, but in general, would they last longer?

Thanks.
Hmm.

I know I'm not Victor, but seeking a "general" answer yields a lot of "it depends", that is unless you mean that with holding all other drving style variables within your control being the same (ceteris parabis). If all of your other variables are controlled, then the rotors should yield a slightly better life.

So far on my ST-40 kit, with using both street pads for street and race pads for track (bear in mind that I always use a proper pad-in when changing pads) the friction rings have lasted quite a while. I check them periodically, and they have yet to yield any warping or excessive runout.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roy
I went with stock stuff from P-Car. Pads are PAGID RS44.
Front

Back
I notice that you have front and rear Porsche/Brembo calipers. Not to hijack or anything, but how's your brake balance? I am assuming that you might of changed your weight distribution in order to use that setup.

I'm looking towards something like you have since I am shifting a considerable amount of weight off the front nose and I've never liked the reliability of the stock rear caliper.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:44 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Iam happy with it . Especially since I got the LGM torque arm mounted to the Ford Nine inch. I imagine the electoronics are working to cope with it.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Hmm.

I know I'm not Victor, but seeking a "general" answer yields a lot of "it depends", that is unless you mean that with holding all other drving style variables within your control being the same (ceteris parabis). If all of your other variables are controlled, then the rotors should yield a slightly better life.

So far on my ST-40 kit, with using both street pads for street and race pads for track (bear in mind that I always use a proper pad-in when changing pads) the friction rings have lasted quite a while. I check them periodically, and they have yet to yield any warping or excessive runout.
Thanks Foxxton. Yes, keeping all things as equal as possible. I should've been clearer in my hypothetical. I often have to answer questions with "it depends" so I should've known better...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks.
Hello,

Sorry about the delay... I have to say to Foxxton... Well put. Generally these rotors will last longer because they handle the heat better, and while a lot depends on what they are going through, they will give longer service than any OE rotors, plus they are lighter. Also I have available several diffrent types of rotors, so we can make sure you will be getting the best posible rotors for your driving needs. I think a really good example of how these rotors perform and last under severe conditions was given by trackbird when he showed us his brake system with blue rotors that are still performing flawlessly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Old 02-20-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Foxxton. Yes, keeping all things as equal as possible. I should've been clearer in my hypothetical. I often have to answer questions with "it depends" so I should've known better...
No problem. I stated that in order not to appear that I'm impeding anyone or just flat out making assumptions.

BTW, there is another member here who uses a wilwood setup, and he runs them very hard, so hard that the anodising has worn off, however the calipers still appear okay, and most importantly, they work.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hello,

Sorry about the delay... I have to say to Foxxton... Well put. Generally these rotors will last longer because they handle the heat better, and while a lot depends on what they are going through, they will give longer service than any OE rotors, plus they are lighter. Also I have available several diffrent types of rotors, so we can make sure you will be getting the best posible rotors for your driving needs. I think a really good example of how these rotors perform and last under severe conditions was given by trackbird when he showed us his brake system with blue rotors that are still performing flawlessly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Thanks Victor, you're a hard working and valuable vendor around here and I know someone else who's considering a big brake kit, so when they're in the market, I'll send them your way.

Oh, and also to the forum members in general, bear in mind that while big brake kits can dramatically improve braking, having a good shock/spring combo with the shocks in good condition combined with a good tyre compound is essential to yield the most out of any brake system, especially with a big brake upgrade.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think a really good example of how these rotors perform and last under severe conditions was given by trackbird when he showed us his brake system with blue rotors that are still performing flawlessly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Those same rotors and pads are still on the car (daily driver). They have worn back to the silver color, never warped, and still work great (even after all my abuse at events this year). I'd run them until they turned dark blue, change tires and drive the car home and to work the next day.

They turned blue from running 1 minute autocross courses (with me and a co-driver, so the car saw double the runs) and after getting them good and hot (very hot?) while on course, at the end we had to stop from about 75-77 mph in a bit over 100 feet or so (this is possible on 315 Hoosier R compound tires) after the timers. After a couple runs, they get hot (and turn blue).

I haven't beat the anodizing off of the calpiers yet. I guess I have to run these things harder......
Old 02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Thanks Victor, you're a hard working and valuable vendor around here and I know someone else who's considering a big brake kit, so when they're in the market, I'll send them your way.

Thanks for your support Foxxton... I will surely hook up your friend when he calls.

Regards,
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
I haven't beat the anodizing off of the calpiers yet. I guess I have to run these things harder......
Sounds like you are really trying to put the screws to them... Do me a favor though, let me know when you finally get the anodizing to come off... That I want to see!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like you are really trying to put the screws to them... Do me a favor though, let me know when you finally get the anodizing to come off... That I want to see!

I'll keep you posted Victor!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

I have the Baer GT+ setup with the 2-pc Eradispeed front rotors and Eradispeed rear rotors also. Essentially this is a C5 brake upgrade as the calipers=C5, pads=C5, rotors=same size as C5. Had to mod the spindles by cutting off a lug, grind the nose of the lower control arms so they wouldn't hit the inside surface of the rotors as they are quite a bit thicker than the stock F-Body rotors. Also had to grind half of the fins off the calipers to get them to clear my 17" TTII wheels

Price was $1100 on sale from sponsor. I was VERY unhappy that I had to grind the calipers to get them to work with the wheels - especially after I was told by Baer that they would fit with my wheels - no problem!

I am happy with the upgraded braking performance though and they look killer!

-Jay-
Old 02-24-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

^^ yeah, it is quite obvious that the rotor surface is not fully being utilized..

Sorry to hear that man..
Old 02-24-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

If you're talking about my Baer setup - that pics was taken shortly (next day) after install so the swept mark you see is where the rotor cladding that is applied to stop rust everywhere but in the firepath, had not completely wore thru to the rotor surface below. If you look at them now the cladding has worn off so that the swept path almost covers the full face of the rotor.

Quick Reply: show me your big brakes!!