Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken panhard rod, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken panhard rod, help!

I beleive I broke the panhard rond on my 00' WS6.

I was driving home from work and while turning hear a grinding/scraping noise from the left rear of the car.

I pulled into a parking lot and looked under the back and the, I beleive, panhard rod is snapped in two pieces. It's the bar that attaches to the bottom side of the left wheel and runs diagonally up to the other side of the car, the brake line is zip tied to it.

I drove it home and now need to clarify that this is the panhard rod, i'm not an expert. Anyways I obviously need a new part. If I remove the broken pieces is it safe to drive? I have to work in the morning, and I will probably have to order this part form texas speed or somewhere and that takes a while.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is the pnhrd bar, mine is almost broken too. It keeps ur rear end stable. I think its safe to drive like a grandma, but dont go to fast, correct me if im wrong.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it's your panhard bar/rod. I wouldn't drive around without one though, that's one of the main components holding your rear end to the chassis. The others being the LCA's and shocks.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

I drove home gently with it, I think it was already bent and that weakend it and it just gave out on me today on the way home.

Well, so far i'm leaning towards the BMR chrome-moly adjustable with poly bushings in red powder coat as the replacement. Sound good?

Is there 2 panhard rods on our cars? There is a second similar bar running horizontally above it? What's that thing?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since your in a bind, check around localy for someone that has a stock one laying around. Do not drive without it.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stang killer
Since your in a bind, check around localy for someone that has a stock one laying around. Do not drive without it.

I'm gonna have to call off tommorow, skip work, and call around at junkyards and find a used one for now since I need it.

but I tell you what, i'm gonna hit this car with new parts pretty quick. Plug/wires, lid, ported throttle body, skip shift eliminator, shifter, PHB etc.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Launching!

are the the PHR's all the same on camaro's/birds/ls-1's/lt-1's/6 cylinders?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Basically. SLP did offer some slightly upgraded options, but they aren't worth bothering with. Any stock PHR from 4th gen will work to get you back on the road quick. I'll bet you can find a used one locally.

If you are going to upgrade, get a good "double adjustable" one with high quality (QA1 XML/XMR) rod ends. It is not worth buying a cheap bar and upgrading the rod ends, and it isn't worth messing around with poly. The PHR is one of the few things on the car for which there is no ride or noise penalty for rod ends (as long as they are good rod ends). Don't get one with an adjuster in the middle either.

Stranoparts can fix you up with a good one.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

phr is the same from 82-02,if it is not hooked up you will experience serious side to side motion above 25mph it gets VIOLENT
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UMI makes what appears to be good and affordable parts.

Quick Reply: Broken panhard rod, help!