Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

questions about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about lowering

I was thinking about lowering my 02 iwth some eibach springs and was wondering if anyone knew if they affected the alignment specs. and if any other suspension upgrades would be needed. Also to anyone who has done this uprgrade, how does the car ride in town and on the highway. I live in Nebraska and there are alot of shity roads and I don't wanna feel every bump.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lowering will throw you alignment off, and you will need to get it realigned ASAP.

As far a other upgrades you will need as a minimum new shocks, an adjustable PHB to recenter rearend and a set of LCA relocation brackets to correct the LCA angle.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

You don't NEED to do any of what he just said.
I would strongly suggest shocks, because the new springs will wear your stock shocks out very quickly.
A PHB will help you to recenter your car...but it is not necessary.
Relocation brackets are nice, but definatley not a concern unless you want to launch your car harder at the track...if this isn't a priority I wouldnt worry about them.
As far as alignment...I lowered my car a year ago and havent gotten it realigned and it's fine.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

I lowered my car alomst a year ago and the only thing i did was get new, stock replacement front shocks, and an adj panhard rod. Didnt get an alignment and she drives straight as an arrow and i havent noticed any irregular tire wear. This is with eibach sportlines too.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

this will sound stupid but what is a PHB cuz i also plan to lower my 00 ws6
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

A panhard bar is used to realign the center of your car.
If you don't have one (I dont and have been lowered over a year) your car will sit slightly off center. (No one has ever noticed other than me)
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
You don't NEED to do any of what he just said.
I would strongly suggest shocks, because the new springs will wear your stock shocks out very quickly.
A PHB will help you to recenter your car...but it is not necessary.
Relocation brackets are nice, but definatley not a concern unless you want to launch your car harder at the track...if this isn't a priority I wouldnt worry about them.
As far as alignment...I lowered my car a year ago and havent gotten it realigned and it's fine.
Well put, you don't NEED anything to lower a car except springs. I was just stating my personal experience and opinion. When I lowered my car I went and got it aligned, the tech said my alignment was WAY off. Is everyone's alignment going to be off? I don't know, I'm not an expert. If you can do without an alignment that's great!
As far as the other things, shocks are probably the most important, but you find all kinds of opinions about that too. Some will say HD's are great for lowered cars while others swear by QA1's or even stay with stock shocks.
I did notice traction loss on the street when I lowered my car until I installed my relocation brackets a couple of weeks later so I would recommend them to anyone. And an adjustable Panhard only makes good sense to me; will it hurt anything to have your rear end off center? Probably not. In the end it all comes down to what your willing to spend and what you expect from you car when your done
Old 02-23-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Left: Driver's side rear tire
Front: Driver's side front tire.

Tires are the same age, same mileage. See how the front tire is much more worn on the inner edge? That's why you need an alignment after you lower.

-Mike