Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone running this spohn torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone running this spohn torque arm?

http://spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1329

just wanted to get some feedback on it, ground clearance that was lost and what not.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this torque arm on my T/A with both front & rear DS safety loops. Fitment with my JetHot Hooker LT's, GMMG catback, and aftermarket 3-1/2" DS was fine. Ground clearance is slightly reduced at front mount point but I have only ever scraped it 2X when going over speed bumps a little too fast

One thing of note: due to the construction of the front mount style you will hear a 'clunk' every time the rear wraps up and then unloads (usually during a shift) After talking with Spohn this is 'normal'. The mount uses a pivoting arm instead of the stock style sliding front mount. I guess every time you upgrade to a performance part you should expect a little more noise...

At least I have the comfort of knowing I won't be snapping off my tranny tailshaft any time soon.

-Jay-
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it and I agree with 1QUIKWS6. It does clunk some and you will feel alot more vibration in the floor. Like bumps in the road. I think you just about have to run a Y-pipe exhaust system. Unless you get a custom x done. But it is a nice peice and I have hit mine several times and just a few scrape marks on it to show for it.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys
Old 02-23-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running this one too--as are lots of other people on the board. The issues have already been identified. My car is lowered about an inch to an inch and a half and I've got about 3 inches of clearance. I ordered the straight cross member and am installing that this weekend as I have the room with my exhaust system. That will get my ground clearance back. I hit on speed bumps and steep driveways. Adding some rubber pads (1/2") under the front mounting points helps with noise and vibration. Also, if you tighten the front joint, you can greatly reduce the clunks you feel and hear. Finally, this TA tends to be preferred for drag strip applications. If that's not what you are looking for, you might want to check out some others.