Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Worth it to do a C5 front brake swap on an LS1 car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Thats for the info Sam.

What I would want to do is get the LG brackets, good pads, lines, and fluid...then get the Eradispeeds or Brembo C5 rotors for the front and fbody Eradispeeds/Brembos for the rear. But looking at what it would cost, it would be wiser to just keep saving and go with an aftermarket front setup from Baer or Wilwood.

Now I'm thinking of going with some drilled and slotted rotors (only for aesthetic reasons), PBR or HPS pads, stainless lines, and new fluid. Sound like a decent setup?

I'm looking for something that will give the brakes a positive feel and decent looks. It's not a track car but I think there is room for improvment over what the stock stuff is.

LG brackets, SS Lines, Good pads, Brembo blanks and a good bled with new better fluid and your set.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say that the C5 rotor conversion is a very worth while swap. I did the LG Motorsports brackets and couldn't be happier. I retained my stock calipers {as has been mentioned, the C5 calipers are stronger but until I start spreading calipers, I'll stick with stockers}, bought new rotors for 25 bucks apiece, bought the brackets used for 150 bucks if I remember right and swapped from Hawk HPS pads to HP Plus pads. I was already running brake ducting and Motul fluid. I have not warped a set of rotors since swapping to the C5s and I have given them every opportunity short of real road racing {one track day, quite a few AutoX passes and plenty of mountain runs that did warp a set of stock rotors}.

I won an SSBC 0-60-0 event with a 100ft stop from 60mph. I beat a Evo that had upgraded brakes and a Viper with upgraded brakes. The area that we were on was not the best for traction and I could have used a bit more finesse with my threshold braking I think so I might have been able to slightly better that 100ft stop given the right circumstances. Not bad considering my financial outlay of around 200 bucks for the brackets and rotors ehh?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Not bad at all.

I'd simply point out your parts cost isn't quite what they would be normally. And you did upgrade the pads at the same time. And there is a BIG difference in power between the two compounds. As for who's brackets you should use, that's up to you. They are similar, but not the same.

As for rotors warping... happens to f-car rotors all the time, when they are cheap (or stock which aren't cheap, just chintzy). Doesn't generally happen with good rotors.

If you are inclined to go that way for whatever reason, go for it. However, don't do it working under the assumption the stock brakes SUCK. FWIW, for classes like SCCA A-Sedan and I think some NASA classes the brakes are required to be 12" two-pistons, and they hold up for real races (and longer).

All a matter of perspective. And YMMV.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say get some type of 6 piston, its expensive but i've heard it makes a would of difference.

Quick Reply: Worth it to do a C5 front brake swap on an LS1 car?