Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Konis Installed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
BJM great write up and not to llook a gift horse in the mouth,,but...open wide,... ....you never really mentioned WHY you didnt use DA VS SA's....
I re-read what I wrote. "Since the shock is quite soft in the jounce stroke, most of the energy is absorbed during the rebound stroke. Therefore not being able to adjust the jounce damping is not a problem for most cars. The ability to dial in your car depends a lot more on the rebound damping which is what the Koni SAs let you adjust."

A single jounce damping value works well for a wide range of cars. SAs should work fine in many instances. I did not feel I needed the DAs.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
There is a - and a + on either side of the window on the front shocks. + is firmer, - is softer. I'm pretty sure it's - on the left and + on the right.

-Mike
Correct. Left to right is firmer, right to left is softer on the front shocks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
Many years ago Koni's were adjustable to accomodate wear. You current ones can be adjusted for wear as well. They should therefore last a long time.
Yup, they are designed to last a long time...AND, Koni's are factory REBUILDABLE should you ever wear them out and need it done or if you are not the original purchaser (or just lost your proof of purchase e.g. receipt).

"The KONI warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser against defects in materials and workmanship and against wear out for as long as you own that car registered for street use."

Koni Rebuild Center: 818-888-8904 Monday-Friday 8-5 PST.

KONI Factory Tech Line at 606-685-4100 Monday-Friday 8-5 EST.

Yeah, Koni's Rock.

)V(etalKnight
Old 04-15-2006, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=chupr0kabra]http://www3.sympatico.ca/brian.mackay/Koni_shocks.htm

Fourth picture up from the bottom (the one of the spring fully mounted to the shock, but not installed in the car yet). It's kind of hard to see, but the washer gets sandwiched between the top of the shock and the rubber shock mount.

OK. I understand how it goes on now.