Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Konis Installed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Konis Installed.

I just finished up my Koni installation yesterday and I've driven my car only from home to work.

As far as install notes.

Be sure to have a buddy help you ( that third arm really comes in handy in odd places) oh power tools really speed things up especially when it came to compressing the front springs ( even though its not recommended compressing the springs by hand must be a PITA). I was just very careful on not over compressing and did it gradually.

I had read on threads how the Koni SA fronts are adjustable while on the car I adjusted mine before they went in, I wonder how everyone adjusts them on while mounted. It just seems so hard. The adjusting slot is facing in towards the car, that means you cant see it, much less fit your hand behind the upper A arms to turn it. Wow. If I had to adjust them while mounted I would prollly curse allday. LOL Its just crammed back there !!!!!!!

The rears are no Biggie. Install or adjusting.

I did notice the rear tires now have a lil more clearance from wheel to fender. Maybe 3/4 or 1". It looks like I have more room to fit those 315s lata.!

Overall it took me about 5hrs or so for both rear and front. Would of gone faster if my helper would of been around the whole time.

I havent driven the car that much much less had a chance to really push the car hard. However I have noticed the car is much more solid around turns, it just plants itself more (less body roll) and it responds better to brakes.

Overall I'm pleased. Playin with the settings on the front seems to be task.
If I'm missing something when it comes to that please let me know!!!

Thanx to everyone for always provinding info and advice for free. LOL
Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I had read on threads how the Koni SA fronts are adjustable while on the car I adjusted mine before they went in, I wonder how everyone adjusts them on while mounted. It just seems so hard. The adjusting slot is facing in towards the car, that means you cant see it, much less fit your hand behind the upper A arms to turn it. Wow. If I had to adjust them while mounted I would prollly curse allday. LOL Its just crammed back there !!!!!!!
Those windows should face out. I had to mess with mine a little to get them lined up right, but they face out. If I jack the car up, I can reach the adjustment window without removing the wheels. Just make sure you use a jackstand when you do this. If the jack fails, bye-bye arm.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

So you have to turn the shaft till it sits where you want it? Well I figured if I did that it would mess up the alignment of the top bolts. So i didnt mess with it. Like i said i adjusted mine before they went in. Worst comes to worst I have to loosen upper A arms to adjust them. Now I know for next time...........
Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

You needed to swivel the shocks the right way before you tightened the spring mount back on and torqued it. I just did the same install this weekend on my own and it was not a big deal but getting the window the right way took some fiddling. I have started a write-up page here, no text yet but I will be putting some more information there. At the bottom of the page you can see the assembled strut with the window pointing out.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal That would help out other people.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

great info, im going to order a set real soon. any pics 2000Z28M6?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:22 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal That would help out other people.
I will post back when the text is written.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

BJM great pics your write up is gunna turn out tight. I have no pics of before or after, my damn digital camera just recently went belly up. ******* crap. I need a new one now. All i can say is that before the Konis I loved the stance my car had before, but it always felt a lil too close to the fender wells. Now it just looks better. I really like it and it feels great knowing I wont bottom out. !!!!!!!

Side note:
Is there an average mileage for Konis? I mean how long should they last?

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 02-24-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:27 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Side note:
Is there an average mileage for Konis? I mean how long should they last?
Many years ago Koni's were adjustable to accomodate wear. You current ones can be adjusted for wear as well. They should therefore last a long time.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BJM
You needed to swivel the shocks the right way before you tightened the spring mount back on and torqued it. I just did the same install this weekend on my own and it was not a big deal but getting the window the right way took some fiddling. I have started a write-up page here, no text yet but I will be putting some more information there. At the bottom of the page you can see the assembled strut with the window pointing out.
Great Writeup man. I dont think people really appreciate how much work it takes to do a writeup like that. Hats off to all the people who contribute to our "community" like that.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice